Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlords

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Blackadder said:
I have never bothered playing it. Does it include the campaign from the original W3 as well?
Yes, as well as all the stand-alone missions IIRC. I still have absolutely no regrets for getting RoH as the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic and very much worth the purchase.

Sceptic said:
Blackadder said:
I have never bothered playing it. Does it include the campaign from the original W3 as well?
Yes, as well as all the stand-alone missions IIRC. I still have absolutely no regrets for getting RoH as the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic and very much worth the purchase.

Yes, the soundtrack in RoH is very nice. I bought that when it first came out, and enjoyed it quite a bit. The last few campaign missions were quite difficult too. I just never bothered getting DLR as I was quite busy with real life then.

I take it from your endorsement on the RoH soundtrack that the DLR soundtrack is not as good?

Another thing; Have you gotten RoH working in XP? And doesn't the music need an old audio cable attached to the CD/DVD drive?

DakaSha said:
Blackadder said:
DakaSha said:
Thumbdrived it from an installation on my girlfriends computer. it doesnt use the registry

It's only the setup file that's 16bit

I haven't played the original (nor do i play campaigns for that matter.. although maybe i will some day) so I dont know. There is more then one campaign though so I'm guessing it contains the original.

What was so different about her computer that made it work?

Shes using 32 bit windows compared to my 64 bit :P
But regardless from xp on you need to use the -wincursor command line option or it will freeze

Intelligent woman. I never know why some of you bother with 64 bit operating systems at the present time.

DakaSha

Arcane
Blackadder said:
DakaSha said:
Blackadder said:
DakaSha said:
Thumbdrived it from an installation on my girlfriends computer. it doesnt use the registry

It's only the setup file that's 16bit

I haven't played the original (nor do i play campaigns for that matter.. although maybe i will some day) so I dont know. There is more then one campaign though so I'm guessing it contains the original.

What was so different about her computer that made it work?

Shes using 32 bit windows compared to my 64 bit :P
But regardless from xp on you need to use the -wincursor command line option or it will freeze

Intelligent woman. I never know why some of you bother with 64 bit operating systems at the present time.

Laptop with windows7 pre installed. I dont really have a reason to build some ultimate gaming system seeing that i play warlords III :P

Also i wouldnt have known about this whole 16 bit problem anyways -.-

edit: AI also commits treachery at the right times -.- :D

DakaSha

Arcane
Wtf this asshole is pulling human anti-AI munchkin tactics shit

I offer peace.. he accepts.. he comes across a weakly defended hero of mine.. commits treachery and owns my hero.. next turn offers peace again lol.

DakaSha said:
Wtf this asshole is pulling human anti-AI munchkin tactics shit

I offer peace.. he accepts.. he comes across a weakly defended hero of mine.. commits treachery and owns my hero.. next turn offers peace again lol.

"We are so, so sorry...It was a terrible accident. My men swear that the hero in question looked exactly like a duck, and, being the correct season....please, accept our heartfelt apologies. Surely thousands don't need to die for this small transgression..."

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Blackadder said:
The last few campaign missions were quite difficult too. I just never bothered getting DLR as I was quite busy with real life then.
I never actually finished the campaign, had too much fun with regular scenarios. I also didn't play DLR as much, also partly due to lack of time.

I take it from your endorsement on the RoH soundtrack that the DLR soundtrack is not as good?
For some reason I remember it being more aggressive and louder. Listening to it now for the first time in YEARS, it's actually much softer than ROH's. It's also quite good. Maybe more similar to 2's, or somewhere in-between 2 and ROH's. The synthesizer they used seems to sound more synthetic than ROH's though. Still it gets my belated seal of approval.

(though now that I'm also relistening to the ROH one... it's not that the DLR is not as good, or isn't great, or isn't among the best game soundtracks ever made, it's that the ROH one is just impossible to equal)

Another thing; Have you gotten RoH working in XP? And doesn't the music need an old audio cable attached to the CD/DVD drive?
I have everything as CD images (which is now making me rage because the DLR image is FULL of jitter errors in the audio tracks :x). All you need is Daemontools, and to make sure the virtual drive (or your real one if using a CD I guess) is the very first letter among all your optical drives. It's something with all Windows games that read audio from Redbook tracks - they can only do so if the CD is in the first optical drive for some reason.

Anyway I don't have XP. Can't install under 7 because the installer is apparently 16-bit, but installing under the XP mode works fine... then I get a DirectDraw error when trying to run the game. I suspect it won't run on anything higher than DX8... which means it will never work natively on a computer with a PCI-e video card. A 98 virtual machine might be the only to get it running, or Wine I guess if you have Linux.

DakaSha

Arcane
I'm running it on a modern machine. also its not windows 7 its 64 bit windows 7 which screws up the installation

edir: my bad it seems you dont mean DLR

I asked SSG US (who still sell all the old SSG games) if DLR and ROH is XP compatible. The answer I received was:

'Compatibility: Game comes with instructions on setting up the compatibility wizard so
you can play it on your computer.'

How does Warlords 2 deluxe go on Win XP?

DakaSha

Arcane
Ran fine in dosbox in 7
edit: only very shortly tested it though

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I was testing both Deluxe and regular 2 in DOSBox yesterday. 2 worked flawlessly. Deluxe had some weird glitching with the music (in Sound Canvas mode), not sure why or how to fix it.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Warlords II/Deluxe should work flawlessly in Dosbox. The Deluxe version might also work directly from XP (it did for me at least), but you probably won't be able to set up sound that way.

Does Warlords III have those awesome randomly generated town descriptions like Warlords II?

Sceptic said:
Deluxe had some weird glitching with the music (in Sound Canvas mode), not sure why or how to fix it.

Try increasing/decreasing cycles and see if that changes anything.

Level 0

Novice
Hello

See you are discussing the old Warlords. I've played them since the original. I played the first warlords on an 80286 lol. It would take literally days to finish a game. Sometimes even 30 minutes for a side to move lol. Those were the days.

I still play all these games to kill time. I got Warlords 3 to run on my Windows 7 by installing Virtual PC and putting windows 98 on it lol. Good memories, still enjoy playing it.

Warlords 4 is pretty good with the 1.05 patch but the AI is still stupid. It has a habit of piling armies up around cities trying to defend them. If it would use them all to attack it could easily destroy you. I think Warlords 4 is much closer to the original in game play. I think people who were used to the 3rd one were upset when they found that that heroes were no longer all powerful. You can't munchkin in this game, it really requires strategy to put togethor units with bonuses and time it with a spell to take out strong enemies. That is why I think people hated it. If the AI was only better and more aggressive. But on the emperor difficulty it is still a challenge. I think it failed because there is less emphasis on powerful units, and it is frustrating to watch a powerful hero die by a grunt. You have to change your strategy when playing this game.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Level 0 said:
Warlords 4 is pretty good with the 1.05 patch but the AI is still stupid. It has a habit of piling armies up around cities trying to defend them. If it would use them all to attack it could easily destroy you. I think Warlords 4 is much closer to the original in game play. I think people who were used to the 3rd one were upset when they found that that heroes were no longer all powerful. You can't munchkin in this game, it really requires strategy to put togethor units with bonuses and time it with a spell to take out strong enemies. That is why I think people hated it. If the AI was only better and more aggressive. But on the emperor difficulty it is still a challenge. I think it failed because there is less emphasis on powerful units, and it is frustrating to watch a powerful hero die by a grunt. You have to change your strategy when playing this game.

This paragraph lacks lol.

Level 0

Novice
So if you are done with your circle jerk I'd like to get back to Warlords.

Any of you know if it is possible to edit the units in Warlords 4? Since they did not put them into XML or a text file, for who knows what stupid reason, I'd assume you'd have to hex edit it. There are still some imbalances I'd like to fix. I have not hex edited a program in ages so if any of you have an idea where to look and what to change please tell.

abradley

Novice
DakaSha said:
well if you happen to get DLR installed then send it to me :P

Cant install it but it will run -.-
Yesterday I jinstalled WL2 Deluxe from my original (SSG) CD on XP Home using this:
Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:51 PM
http://www.compatdb.org/forums/topic/24 ... eluxe/#top
yes it is im running warlods deluxe on a and 2400 with windows XP.
this game had problems from the start as it would not run on anything faster than a P166. the publisher SSG never patched it (i think the programmer had defected) a patch was released by an avid fan but only works up to windows me.

the solution DOSBOX

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

this fantastic freeware prog emulates a 386 dos processor and when push comes to shove Warlords deluxe is a dos program

read the help file for dosbox but here is what i did

fist make a directory warlords2 for example on c: drive

in dosbox type
mount c c:\warlords2.... this will mount c:\warlords2 as your c drive in dosbox

then type
mount d x:\ .......... were x is the letter assigned to your cd drive

now type x: ........were x is the letter assigned to your cd drive

those familar with dos will now be away but if not
typing dir (press return) will bing up the directory contents of the CD

to install the game type install (press return)the game will now install into c:\warlords2 directory

type cd:\ to return to d: prompt

type c: to switch to dosbox c: drive (which is in fact the warlords2 directory on your hard drive}

now type war2 press return and your in

set sound to soundblaster16 as this works fine with most on mainboard soundcards.

hope this helps
I'd tried installing from a CDROM before but always got an error and couldn't install.

Mounting the CDROM in DOsbox worked. Use Dosbox to mount and install then use Defend to make the profile.

Also used the latest Dosbox and Defend front end.

If this village idiot can do it anybody can.

Hope this helps

Andy (Warlords fan since Warlords (1).

PS
At http://warlords.h1.ru/eindex.php there's bunches of Warlords goodies_all versions.

joasoze

Novice
you can actually play this game multiplayer in browser. Its great fun. Its at warbarons dot com

I play as joasoze and I have no part in making or marketing the game.

Level 0 said:
So if you are done with your circle jerk I'd like to get back to Warlords.

Any of you know if it is possible to edit the units in Warlords 4? Since they did not put them into XML or a text file, for who knows what stupid reason, I'd assume you'd have to hex edit it. There are still some imbalances I'd like to fix. I have not hex edited a program in ages so if any of you have an idea where to look and what to change please tell.

Wouldn't have a clue, but I am curious why you want to edit them.

Exmit

Scholar
I have Warlords 3 in my top 10 list to this day,

after warlords 3 when it went real time it went HERPADERPA

Exmit

Scholar
Speaking of which , anyone got a link for reign of heroes?

DakaSha

Arcane
It never went real time.. warlords 4 is turn based.. The Battlecry series is a different series.. (And actually its supposed to be pretty good.. as far as RTS goes anyways)

Also why would you want reign of heroes if you can play DLR? It's basically the same thing with more content.

It's easy enough to find if you search.

@abradley
Thanks but i was speaking of warlords 3 (which I got to run by installing on another machine and moving over)

@joasoze
faggot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom