Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlords

Gondolin

Arcane
mondblut said:
DwarvenFood said:
They are about some surrender scene of what not.. and there is a quote below.. the excellent
"PEACE IS NOT AN OPTION"

What to do in-game to trigger that event ? Or is it never used.. :mystery:

I vaguely remember the losing parties could offer their surrender, and you would either accept it and win, or refuse to keep fighting them into extermination, and that's when this comes up. I think. Or maybe I made it up on the fly :retarded:

IIRC, the computer players always offered to surrender when you acquired more than 50% of all the cities on the map. The answer was always no, of course. :smug:

DakaSha

Arcane
DLR won't install on a 64 bit operating system... Does anybody know a workaround aside from installing a 32bit os on a virtual machine or installing it somewhere else and copying over (Don't have another pc available)

I'd ask for a link to a rippped (pre installed version) but I suppose thats against the rules :smug:

Heresiarch

Prophet
I liked Warlord III (only played Reign of Heroes seriously) very, very much. Though I was a save/load scummer and practically played through the game with almost zero loses. I'm replaying Puzzle Quest with the expansion set now, and its story background is urging me back to play DLR again (they share the same game world and story).

About battlecry series, is it really THAT good? It's pretty strange since most 'dexers loathe at RTS, and it's especially weird when the dex consider a RTS not only good but also DEEP.

If I want to try one out, which shall I?

DakaSha

Arcane
well if you happen to get DLR installed then send it to me :P

Cant install it but it will run -.-

catfood

AGAIN
DakaSha have you checked the warlorders.com forums? They might have a solution for your problem. Problem is, the site's been down for about a week or so, not sure what the deal is.

DakaSha

Arcane
ive read in different places. It isnt solvable short of the two methods I described it seems.

The thing is that the installer is 16 bit.. 16 bit wont run on a 64 bit os.
The game however is 32 bit.. How dumb is that?

Heresiarch said:
I liked Warlord III (only played Reign of Heroes seriously) very, very much. Though I was a save/load scummer and practically played through the game with almost zero loses. I'm replaying Puzzle Quest with the expansion set now, and its story background is urging me back to play DLR again (they share the same game world and story).

About battlecry series, is it really THAT good? It's pretty strange since most 'dexers loathe at RTS, and it's especially weird when the dex consider a RTS not only good but also DEEP.

If I want to try one out, which shall I?

All three of them are worth the effort if you don't mind some RTSing.

1st one is a 'story' version, with various branches that you can take. You only really get to be the humans, and depending on the branch you pick, elves or dwarves.

2nd one is a 'map' version, with little story apart from 'take over the continent'. You pick a province to assault, and attempt to take it over after building a base and so on. If an enemy nation attacks one of your owned provinces, you get to defend it. Every race is choosable.

3rd one is a little of both. It is story driven, with many provinces you can go to. It has various missions in each province, with differing victory conditions.

If any of these is your thing, pick that one. Otherwise, do them in sequence. Storyfags should probably stick with one and three, but may still enjoy two. Every race is choosable, with slightly differing story depending on whether you picked an Evil, Neutral or Good race.

DrunkDwarf

Novice
Used to play Warlords III: Reign of Heroes and Warlords III: Darklords Rising a lot with friends.

We'd all sit around one computer and battle it out on random maps on the hardest possible difficulty settings we could select, there was always a lot of betrayals and bargaining going on between the players.

We focused a lot of our energy on creating the best possible custom armies, producing Alpha-stacks that had what we thought was the best combination of bonuses and properties. We also treasured our heroes, getting them up to the highest levels with as many magic items as we could gather, and then getting upset when they were murdered by the other players, or died searching a ruin. Good times.

Actually got it installed and running just recently, been playing by myself out of nostalgia, still a fun game.

SkeleTony

Augur
Blackadder said:
Warlords 5? I thought that old chestnut had been taken out of the fire long ago. Perhaps another contender for Grimoire?

I just remembered something about Warlords 3: Does anyone else remember the hammy video sequences after each mission? Lord Bane was hilarious, as were the devs pretending at acting.

W5 has not yet gotten beyond the 'design & planning' stage because Fawkner wants a publisher before investing all the time and work into the game.

Those video cut scenes were horrible. I used to cringe watching them. I got the impression from watching Lord Bane that I could kick his ass.

Honestabe

Novice
4 seems to be pretty horrible though:

If you haven't played a game don't be dissing on it. Warlords IV post 1.05 patch is an excellent game and far more strategic and tactical than any of the previous versions. It has an AI that will kick your ass on normal difficulty and for you probably even one level lower. I place it up there with Master of Magic, Master of Orion II and Alpha Centauri as one of the greatest strategy games ever made.

Yes it has some issues and was a pile of crap on release but after patch 1.05 it is the Hazerat Caderack. DUNE! ;)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Honestabe said:

If you haven't played a game don't be dissing on it. Warlords IV post 1.05 patch is an excellent game and far more strategic and tactical than any of the previous versions. It has an AI that will kick your ass on normal difficulty and for you probably even one level lower. I place it up there with Master of Magic, Master of Orion II and Alpha Centauri as one of the greatest strategy games ever made.

Yes it has some issues and was a pile of crap on release but after patch 1.05 it is the Hazerat Caderack. DUNE! ;)

Yeah Warlords IV after the patches is pretty damn good, as good as any of the games in the series, though of course that's subjective.

DakaSha

Arcane
too bad the absolutely ridiculous map resolution makes it unplayable.
edit: having said that I'm installing it again just to check out if the AI is really that good.. I need ONE damn strat game with decent AI.. just ONE

and DLR AI isn't all that great from what i can tell -.-

SkeleTony

Augur
Honestabe said:

The game is still mediocre even after the latest patch(and yes I have played a LOT of it). This is not KGB's fault. NO patch could have saved that game. It needed more hero classes, more units per faction, more factions, etc. The AI cannot kick my ass on normal(at least not consistently) but more importantly, I just don't care, whether I am winning or losing. I win 4 maps ina row? Meh. I lose one map? Meh. I don't even want to re-load a single battle to see if anything may have gone differently. I just don't care. It is a boring game.

SkeleTony

Augur
DakaSha said:
too bad the absolutely ridiculous map resolution makes it unplayable.
edit: having said that I'm installing it again just to check out if the AI is really that good.. I need ONE damn strat game with decent AI.. just ONE

and DLR AI isn't all that great from what i can tell -.-

DLR is easily one of the top ten strategy games for the PC that was ever produced. If you are a graphics whore then I can't help you though. The game's graphics were bad even when it was first released.
As for FANTASY games specifically, DLR is very nearly tied with Heroes III at the very least. What it may possibly lack and just barely in the 'One more turn' factor and definitely lacks in graphics and presentation, it more than makes up for in customization and AI. The AI just stomps in this turn-based strat.
And the ability to create new classes, units, spells, items etc.(even graphics if you are down for that sort of effort) is nearly unmatched even today.

DakaSha

Arcane
Considering 95% of my gaming is either ASCII, Indie or Oldschool I don't see how I can even be loosely defined as a "graphics whore".. Also I don't need clarification on what Warlords III is..

I don't think the AI is all too hot.. On the highest setting I just get a couple of allies from a ruin and walk over the whole map.

Maybe I've had "bad" experiences but so far I havnt even been remotely challenged by a skirmish game except for the last game i tried where I have the AI bonus personality points and set all cities to be owned. It seemed more like bad luck in placement then actual skill though.
But to be fair I haven't played to many games.. simply because i lose interest after wiping the floor with the AI.
Are there some special rules i should follow in game setup to make the AI not be a pushover?
I'm going to try warlord IV with the patch now and see what thats about

DakaSha

Arcane
ugh I seriously can't get into Warlords IV. Gonna try 3 again. I'll see how the AI performs.. Hope it proves me wrong ^^

SkeleTony

Augur
DakaSha said:
Considering 95% of my gaming is either ASCII, Indie or Oldschool I don't see how I can even be loosely defined as a "graphics whore".

Good...then the "unless you are a graphics whore" comment would not apply to you. Read more carefully next time. When you wrote that DLR doesn't look so hot, you can see why one could suspect the graphics were your issue. But if you can manage to make a case that DLR's gameplay is somehow lackluster then I am all ears. Good luck with that...

Also I don't need clarification on what Warlords III is..

?!
Who said you did?!
But also pay attention to what YOU wrote next time guy. Again your comment that the game did not "look" so hot indicated you may have been unfamiliar with the franchise, took a look at the game after installing it and then came to your conclusion.

I don't think the AI is all too hot.. On the highest setting I just get a couple of allies from a ruin and walk over the whole map.

1)You MIGHT pull that off in a single map, especially if it was a random map or even more so for a fan-made map but please spare us your anecdotal tales of beating things with ease on the highest difficulty. We cannot scrutinize an anecdote. Maybe you are just a supremely gifted strategist...*shrug*. But this is not indicated by your above comment. In fact your above sounds like complete bullshit. Are you playing on tiny maps?! I just don't see how it is possible for you to hit ruins and gain 2 black dragons(or whatever) and then conquer the entire map while the enemy is also visiting ruins, building up his forces, etc.

2)The game was produced in around 1996 or '97(as Warlords III: RoH). From that point on every reviewer who reviewed the game made note of it's lofty/superior AI. It may well be that some newer games boast superior AI coding. Took 'em long enough I say.

3)And again, the comment above is not a critique against the AI even if it were true. More a comment about how one can get great benefits from random ruins visitations.

Maybe I've had "bad" experiences but so far I havnt even been remotely challenged by a skirmish game except for the last game i tried where I have the AI bonus personality points and set all cities to be owned. It seemed more like bad luck in placement then actual skill though.
But to be fair I haven't played to many games.. simply because i lose interest after wiping the floor with the AI.
Are there some special rules i should follow in game setup to make the AI not be a pushover?

Most vets use "Advanced/Hidden/Psycho" type settings. Fog of war, enemies/map are hidden, neutral and enemy cities start with strongest forces etc.
I'm going to try warlord IV with the patch now and see what thats about

It sucks badly. However if you do not enjoy DLR then you may be one of the handful who actually like Warlords 4. The AI is much better with the patches and a lot of stuff is fixed but the game is just boring(even the game's developer says it was a bad game).

DakaSha

Arcane
Good...then the "unless you are a graphics whore" comment would not apply to you. Read more carefully next time.

Yeah.. I uhm.. read it again.. and.. You actually wrote something else that could very well imply that you suspect me to be one which.. see below:

When you wrote that DLR doesn't look so hot, you can see why one could suspect the graphics were your issue. But if you can manage to make a case that DLR's gameplay is somehow lackluster then I am all ears. Good luck with that...

You did...
I never said it doesn't look so hot btw.. Maybe you should uhm: "Read more carefully next time"

?!
Who said you did?!
But also pay attention to what YOU wrote next time guy. Again your comment that the game did not "look" so hot indicated you may have been unfamiliar with the franchise, took a look at the game after installing it and then came to your conclusion.

Sorry I thought your overly energetic description of the game was meant to be targeted at somebody who doesn't know about said game. The whole pay attention to what I wrote line is very funny btw.

1)You MIGHT pull that off in a single map, especially if it was a random map or even more so for a fan-made map but please spare us your anecdotal tales of beating things with ease on the highest difficulty. We cannot scrutinize an anecdote. Maybe you are just a supremely gifted strategist...*shrug*. But this is not indicated by your above comment. In fact your above sounds like complete bullshit. Are you playing on tiny maps?! I just don't see how it is possible for you to hit ruins and gain 2 black dragons(or whatever) and then conquer the entire map while the enemy is also visiting ruins, building up his forces, etc.

Has happened on multiple occasions (yes on random maps) on map sizes up to one of the medium ones... I just haven't tried larger maps yet. I may not completely conquer the map with one army but I am able to cripple at least my closest neighbors to the point where I gain a huge advantage.. Don't believe me? I don't really care :)

2)The game was produced in around 1996 or '97(as Warlords III: RoH). From that point on every reviewer who reviewed the game made note of it's lofty/superior AI. It may well be that some newer games boast superior AI coding. Took 'em long enough I say.

They say that about GalCiv2 also which although "better" then many isn't as great as it's hyped up to be.

3)And again, the comment above is not a critique against the AI even if it were true. More a comment about how one can get great benefits from random ruins visitations.

Yep. Terrible design then. Don't cry now :)
It's obvious that you get super butthurt when somebody criticizes "your game" but for the record: I LIKE DLR :) In fact the reason I am frustrated with the AI is because I want to PLAY it.

In case you didn't notice I actually "admitted" to this possibly just being a series of flukes.. But the "criticism" must have deafened/blinded you.. guy ^^

But we can just argue and have good make up sex if you want.
I have filed you underr: "Pay attention to this guys posts.. they are good for a laugh"

edit: btw if this turns into a retarded quote war I'm just going to jerk off instead of responding xD
I'm not arguing with you over a game we both like. My post reflects my experiences with the game. You aren't going to convince me they are false (maybe the game will)
So let me know when your ready for hot sex

DakaSha

Arcane
I've played it much more extensively now and you are right: The AI is def better then most TBS games (if not the best). It still makes error of course but it's prob better then a lot of humans to be honest xD

I'm still having a huge problem with beginning randomness though. I've tried turning off all ruins which works good. But things like random mercenary's kinda fuck shit up. I literally steamrolled on the largest map (whether you believe it or not) just because I got a group of orogs (or whatever) on the third turn.

It seems like ruins would balance this (as others without renown can get shit) but meh.. I've also gotten 5 dragons on turn 3 using ruins -.-

Whatever it's still great and im having fun. I'm seeing what setting work best though.. For instance when using a hidden map the AI seems to "waste" a lot of units for scouting (cool they do it though.. they even use the right units for the job) but when using a non hidden map I get the feeling that my human intuition on which route to take works better then the AI's routines.

Does anybody know of the AI is good at razing or is it purely for the humans benefit?

I think I'll play on a non hidden map next and give the AI just a mild boost in starting armies. that may offset their perceived disadvantage at the beginning.

If the AI gets a decent start it can be pretty cunning though.. I started a war with Orange and was extremely surprised when he moved into my territory with great stacks and took over almost my whole empire in one turn 0_o (Although I bet he left his cities undefended in doing so.. seems like it might be one of the few flaws)

edit: oh i also havent made an uber hero but i sadly suspect that will make it much more easier.. From what I can tel the AI doesn't seem to use it's heroes all to well.

Maybe it will prove me wrong again though

So how did you get DLR working in the end?

I have never bothered playing it. Does it include the campaign from the original W3 as well?

Oh, just for fun:

!BjUUlPQ!mk~$(KGrHqIOKjQEsmnWIpOKBLTGM4bW6g~~_12.JPG

DakaSha

Arcane
Thumbdrived it from an installation on my girlfriends computer. it doesnt use the registry

It's only the setup file that's 16bit

I haven't played the original (nor do i play campaigns for that matter.. although maybe i will some day) so I dont know. There is more then one campaign though so I'm guessing it contains the original.

DakaSha said:
Thumbdrived it from an installation on my girlfriends computer. it doesnt use the registry

I haven't played the original (nor do i play campaigns for that matter.. although maybe i will some day) so I dont know. There is more then one campaign though so I'm guessing it contains the original.

What was so different about her computer that made it work?

DakaSha

Arcane
Blackadder said:
DakaSha said:

What was so different about her computer that made it work?

Shes using 32 bit windows compared to my 64 bit :P
But regardless from xp on you need to use the -wincursor command line option or it will freeze

DakaSha

Arcane
AI is also surprisingly good at diplomacy it seems.. Declaring war when it has the advantage and offering/accepting peace when it doesnt. It almost feels like hes a sniveling bitch trying to suck up when he notices you have the upper hand (or as now when multiple players declare war on him xD)

I dont think it can bribe you though.. which i guess makes sense. It would just be free money

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom