Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlock 2: The Exiled

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Started a new Exiled game with Elves, left everything on Normal, seems they nerfed the monster spawn a bit but it could be that Elven Archers you can build from the start are freaking OP cause I'm ripping through the planes with no trouble.
They have Support ability so all you need to do is pretty much put a damage soaking unit infront of em and they will do the rest. Got unlucky with the heroes, got 2 mage heroes that cost shitton of money to support but evened it out by building cities next to Donkeys(+10 gold). I want a tank.
50 turns in, hit city limit, got money, got mana but research is pretty much the same from the start so I figure I'll get fucked when that terraforming mage comes by to say hello unless I pump it up.
Game does need several playthroughs to get all the basics tho, after 12 hours or so I still got alot of questionmarks on how to play it better.

Renegen

Arcane
What I'm doing is maxing research, I feel that spell research is the best way to tackle the diverse problems the game throws at you. One time, the first plane had a bunch of impassable mountains right at the portal and I couldn't progress at all without a flatten land spell.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Maybe the random generator is broken or the game likes to troll me. :)

wySjwGf.jpg

Cant do shit here besides chip away at the wolves while I rush Teleportation that was about 10 turns away or Levitate abut 20 turns away. There's another portal 3 hexes behind the wolves. Previous world I took over had only one portal so it was a dead end while this one got 4 portals.
Am about 100 turns in now, its still way to easy compared to previous games I played on same(medium) difficulty. Didnt get to worlds with lolwut neutrals yet so I wont be taking a victory in advance. Neutrals seem alot calmer.
Also wtf at 700 gold single archer upgrade. lol

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Why does the game look like a five year old game. Did the first Warlock look that bloomey?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Ok, phew. That looks better. Was getting reminded of Age of Mythology or something. Still, can't bring myself to buy it full price after getting Warlock. :/

sser

Arcane
Developer
You shouldn't really buy any Paradox games full-price unless you really, really want them anyway.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I found when I removed some settings it removed also bloom. Fully maxed it looks like a crap.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
You shouldn't really buy any Paradox games full-price unless you really, really want them anyway.
Its 22 euros on GamersGate, lol. Civ5 expansions cost 30 at release.
When people say full price I think 50-60 dollas/euros, Warlock 2 is way below that price level.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Its 22 euros on GamersGate, lol. Civ5 expansions cost 30 at release.
When people say full price I think 50-60 dollas/euros, Warlock 2 is way below that price level.

My buddy paid $50 for it, but he really wanted it. Everything is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. For me, I'm content with waiting for the Paradox DLC-Deluge and picking the game up at -50/-75% off in a sale a month later.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Started a new Exiled game with Elves, left everything on Normal, seems they nerfed the monster spawn a bit but it could be that Elven Archers you can build from the start are freaking OP cause I'm ripping through the planes with no trouble.
They have Support ability so all you need to do is pretty much put a damage soaking unit infront of em and they will do the rest. Got unlucky with the heroes, got 2 mage heroes that cost shitton of money to support but evened it out by building cities next to Donkeys(+10 gold). I want a tank.
50 turns in, hit city limit, got money, got mana but research is pretty much the same from the start so I figure I'll get fucked when that terraforming mage comes by to say hello unless I pump it up.
Game does need several playthroughs to get all the basics tho, after 12 hours or so I still got alot of questionmarks on how to play it better.

Assuming units are mostly the same (I'm sure there are a lot of additions in 2), then yeah, Elven Archers are some of the strongest ranged units you can have. I think they were _THE_ strongest in Warlock 1 excluding possibly the Helia archers you could get through temples. Oh, and lord units, obviously. For a tank you could have built a donkey stable instead of a trading post and gotten Stubborn Knights. I think that's how it worked in 1.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Finished in 159 turns, took 4-5 hours or so. Seems Exiled also ends when you kill all other Great Mages, didnt get to the United One eventho I went through 8 worlds. Ez pz with Elves, everything pretty much went in my way, even had luck with neutral units getting Old Trolls and a undead mage for free.
Will be upping the difficulty for the next game. There's a crapload of different buildings/units/buffs connected to special tiles if you build city next to it and build something on top of em. Its pretty interesting and adds to diversity but I built maybe 5% of what was available, one part to blame is city limit and another one is me blitzing through the planes. All the cool stuff comes later in the game, besides donkeys and piggies there is rarely anything worth building around in the first 2-3 planes.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, in the first truly good resources were pretty rare outside of the pocket universe things.

kris

Arcane
Finished in 159 turns, took 4-5 hours or so. Seems Exiled also ends when you kill all other Great Mages, didnt get to the United One eventho I went through 8 worlds.

You can choose winning conditions. Just uncheck that you can win by defeating the other mages. Makes little sense in a exiled game anyway.

Is it worth picking this up over AoW3? I only have enough cash for one - as a disclaimer, I was a big SM fan back in the day, but I haven't played it in forever. I do own Warlock 1 and liked it quite a bit, although the scope of the game was rather limited.

Or bargain bin for both?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
If you read the thread it seems biggest addition to Warlock 2 is Exiled mode and some improvements here and there.
If you think its worth it then go for it. Its 10 euros cheaper than AoW3 but its 10 euros more expensive than Warlock 1 was on its release. I got both but I played AoW 3 for like 4 hours and Warlock 2 about 17 hours so far.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ That. I can only echo what I've said before: if you previously bought and played Warlock 1 you'll be underwhelmed with what they're asking $30 for this time around. I really want to play it but $30 for what is effectively a $10-15 DLC isn't very cost efficient.

erthia

Educated
I got about 40 hours logged into Warlock II: The Exiled. The game is great and there is a lot of re-playability. Some of the key features that make WII superior to WI include the new tech tree for research and the simple to use modding tool. There are more spells and units. The AI seems to be a little better. There is also the new exiled mode. IMO, it is worth the $30.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's definitely worth the $30 if you've never played the first.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you read the thread it seems biggest addition to Warlock 2 is Exiled mode and some improvements here and there.
If you think its worth it then go for it. Its 10 euros cheaper than AoW3 but its 10 euros more expensive than Warlock 1 was on its release. I got both but I played AoW 3 for like 4 hours and Warlock 2 about 17 hours so far.
How does exiled mode compare to W1:Armageddon DLC? Would Vanilla W2 play better than W1+all relevant DLC?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
How does exiled mode compare to W1:Armageddon DLC? Would Vanilla W2 play better than W1+all relevant DLC?
Never played Warlock 1 so I'm not the most qualified to answer that question.
If you want to see how the Exiled mode plays out I can recommend this potato bro, I found his playthrough pretty interesting, he plays it a bit differently and a bit better than me.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHQyGGzRHYIbZEi5xrDt-XFiNbkVUDQcO

Kayerts

Arcane

I may still be learning, but Exiled mode on max difficulty seems to be significantly harder to win than Warlock 1:Armageddon. I think the basic reason is that it more tightly constrains you in terms of what tools you get to work with, which means that randomness can present you with some serious challenges. Here's what I've found:

[ - ] Enemy AI players are even less capable in Exiled mode than they were in Warlock 1. By the time you find them, most of them will ally with you shortly after meeting. After that, you can easily park one unit on their outgoing portal from their world to yours, and they will be happy to spend the rest of the game stuck in their own little worlds.

[ + ] The city cap, combined with the fact that each world is tiny, makes economic development much harder during the midgame. Basically, you are not guaranteed to find any +gold resources, nor are you guaranteed to find neutral/enemy races that are good at producing gold. And you can no longer just spam cities to boost your economy. So if the RNG is against you, you can find yourself getting increasing desperate to find wealthy city site, while your upkeep deficit eats away at your treasury.

[ + ] The above imposes limits on the size of your army, as well as on your ability to buff your units with resource perks. (Resource-based perks are now finite in number, so e.g. one adamantium refinery will only let you outfit three units.) The new economy also means you have to be choosier with your spell buffs due to limited mana. So the easiest way to win Warlock 1 (stack every buff in the game on 1-4 lords) is harder to pull off.

[ + ] The neutral enemies are reasonably challenging. If you're unlucky, you can run into a boss-tier creature in the second tier of worlds. Starting in the third tier, you will semi-reliably encounter one supreme creature per world. (E.g. a mossy troll or nightmare wolves.)

[ + ] If you have the DLC for Warlock 2, the Dragon Incarnation is a pretty cool challenge mode -- essentially, it means you don't get a starting city and instead get a moderately powerful dragon to start out with, with the caveat that you lose if he dies. I call it a challenge mode because, while the dragon is decently strong, it means you start with no other starting perks and -10 income over anyone else. So it seems right to treat it as a handicap, but it's a fun one.

[ - ] Barring that DLC, you aren't ever really in danger of losing, which is probably the worst part of Exiled mode. Midgame enemies are more about slowing or stopping your advance than about threatening your core territory. You do see some nasty lair spawns in the late game, but by then you have meta-teleport and can deal trivially with them.

Overall, it's pretty fun. Some of the new resource perks are stupid (two that you find right before the final world give +50% unit power and +50% elemental damage...), but it generally isn't the boring yolo-fest that was the endgame of Warlock 1. (I.e., bashing your way through a continent literally full of Dremer, one hex at a time, with your invulnerable demigod hero.)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I thought Armageddon mode was a good premise but the Dremer world was beyond tedious.

kris

Arcane
[ - ] Barring that DLC, you aren't ever really in danger of losing, which is probably the worst part of Exiled mode. Midgame enemies are more about slowing or stopping your advance than about threatening your core territory. You do see some nasty lair spawns in the late game, but by then you have meta-teleport and can deal trivially with them.

Agreed. Biggest problem is this. you battle your way forward and instead of risking being out of resources they just increase as you go on.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Any reason to play Warlock 1 now that 2 is out? Do they allow mods in multiplayer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom