Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Warhorse Studios' Dan Vavra on Choosing Your RPG Engine

Thanks for posting great examples of why cryengine sucks for an RPG, bro :roll:

Look at that sweet HUD, awesome inventroy screens and stat screens, oh wait NM. None of them has even a HUD at all, that's peculiar for a FPS let alone an RPG.

Drocon, what the hell do HUDs, inventory screens and stat screens have to do with engine choice?

Daniel.Vavra

Warhorse Studios
Developer
Dont worry. Our Hud is almost finished and since we have source code and few programmers, we should be able to do some rpg stuff as well ;) And trust me, we had all the engines out there and CE is best for what we want to create. Which is not an fps shooter.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Concerning the interface, do you think there are parallels between your new game and VtmB? I think it's a good example how RPGs can be made on a "fps" engine.

Also, many of your previous games already had a lot of HUD and gameplay elements for first person shooters (H&D2), in the LS3D engine could pick up a lot of items. Are you going in the same direction?

Another game that isn't mentioned here is Mount and Blade, the medieval combat in it is the best ever created in a first person game. Have you considered a bit of the same from this for your own game?

I think an open world RPG with the graphics of your previous games, and the combat of M&B would break all boundaries.

We simply want to create RPG that doesnt look ugly as hell as every other rpg out there except Witcher ;)

Yes, this is strange. While most western developers have descended for good into the abyss of infantile graphics, Eastern Europe remains the last bastion of a realistic art style. The trend goes from Illusion or Bohemia over STALKER in Ukraine to The Witcher from Poland. That's one of the reasons you deserve support.

Anyway, hope you make rapid progress so we can see some screenshots before the year is over, hopefully. I think with the input and inspiration you mentioned this is something we can really look forward to.

Daniel.Vavra

Warhorse Studios
Developer
I believe HUD and GUI has no connection with engine. We use 3rd party software to make it and our only goal is to make it intuitive and sophisticated. Our combat system will be very different from everything I seen so far. I hope I nailed something as complicated as SoulCalibur but playable from first person view, while not being Die by the Sword by any means. So far it seems it will work :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom