Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer: Vermintide 2

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Anyone found the fov a bit weird if you set it higher than 65 (I'm playing at 100)? I get hit way too often even though enemies don't seem to reach me with their swing at all.
Yeah I mentioned that in an earlier post.

It's like the camera is further away from where your body is theoretically located. Your own strikes thus also seem to reach further.

I think that's not an uncommon issue in such games though.

Educated
Thanks!
I kind of thought the power system would allow you to match enemy HP scaling from difficulty to difficulty, but if that is not the case, then it makes sense that the game changes a lot in terms of tactics. Or is that just for specials?
Well, it does seem to be the case. Can't say - apparently the max Power on any item is 300 (Power from levels is multiplied x10, while the highest Power on an item is 300 - from what I've seen in the screenshots (reds are 300)), so it might be possible to keep up with the enemy 'bloat' even up to Cataclysm. Just hard to tell. I'm far from lvl30, and since there will be a wipe (last one) on Monday, I'm not too motivated to try to reach it - I'd rather spend time on trying different characters.
And we haven't even seen Cataclysm yet - the highest available difficulty right now is Nightmare.
Also - it seems they change some other stuff for specials as well as hp with rising difficulty, like the pounce speed of Gutter Runners and, I assume, 'setup times' of other specials. That alone will require higher awareness and better reflexes.

Any comments on dodging? I've seen people complain about a dodge nerf, but I don't remember how it was in VT1 (I only played that for a bit after launch).
Well, there was that enormous VT1 balancing patch a year or more ago that made dodging weapon-reliant (number of times you can dodge in a sequence and the dodge distance), which greatly buffed 1h weapons, to the point where they became the best choice for Cataclysm - you just had to dodge A LOT. Now that tactic has been somewhat nerfed, but so far I don't mind - I dislike situations where there is one optimal choice/tactic (like 1h/dodge is in VT1), so having it a bit more balanced seems nice. Anyway, I don't feel that much of a change right now, but maybe when I'll play on Nightmare some more I'll change my mind. So far it seems fine (and you can buff your dodges through talents anyway).

Mojobeard

Augur
Anyone found the fov a bit weird if you set it higher than 65 (I'm playing at 100)? I get hit way too often even though enemies don't seem to reach me with their swing at all.
FoV is vertical and not horizontal like normally, so 100 is other game's 129. Of course that much will give you a Doom-ish fisheye effect.
For comparison, this is the difference between the lowest and highest FoV (from the first game):
hUgKzn1.png

Obviously higher FoV gives you an advantage against getting swarmed, but feels crappy to play and gives you a warped sense of distance, aiming ranged weapons can also be harder. I use 82 (114 horizontal), it seems like a decent middle ground.

Seethe

Arbiter
There's absolutely no reason to get the first one. I love how violent and adrenaline pumped the combat feels.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So is this new one actually decent? I skipped the first game but I'd like something that scratches that Left 4 Dead itch.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Loot system ruined an otherwise mediocre L4D clone.
This game caught my eye but what concerns me is that the trash mobs will be like L4D or Payday (2). I don't necessarily mind going up against a trash mob hoards, I just don't want it in the style of those games.

Any distaste for the game aside, is it fair to compare the mobs to L4D or Payday?

Seethe

Arbiter
Loot system ruined an otherwise mediocre L4D clone.
This game caught my eye but what concerns me is that the trash mobs will be like L4D or Payday (2). I don't necessarily mind going up against a trash mob hoards, I just don't want it in the style of those games.

Any distaste for the game aside, is it fair to compare the mobs to L4D or Payday?

Depends what you mean by "style". Game plays totally different because it's mostly melee focused. You have to know how to push hordes of enemy, how to block them. You have to know how to use your stamina, especially if you play without a shield. You have to be aware of your what's going on around you, to not end up cornered or surrounded. Ranged is mostly used to kill specials and bosses from a distance.

Played it for a bit, so where's the challenge and what's the point. Bosses are boring and basically are bloated elites with two special attacks instead of one. Beyond that you are just slicing through the hordes of rats.

Is there an endgame? PvP? Timeruns or someshit?

So far it showed the same depth as those clicker games in steam. You smack M1 ad nauseam, get marginally better sword to swing with at the end of the mission, rinse and repeat.

Seethe

Arbiter
Played it for a bit, so where's the challenge and what's the point. Bosses are boring and basically are bloated elites with two special attacks instead of one. Beyond that you are just slicing through the hordes of rats.

Is there an endgame? PvP? Timeruns or someshit?

So far it showed the same depth as those clicker games in steam. You smack M1 ad nauseam, get marginally better sword to swing with at the end of the mission, rinse and repeat.

Let me guess. You played only normal difficulty without even bothering to reach veteran and cataclysm, without even trying to carry grimoires. Because otherwise you're bluffing. Otherwise, yes it's easy,you can smack around at will, you barely take any damage and as a result don't have to care too much about getting surrounded or parrying attacks. And the loot at the end will be nothing short of garbage.

Asking if there's an endgame in Vermintide, is the same as asking if there's an endgame in Diablo. The endgame is getting your character powerful for higher difficulties. Thank god there's no PvP.

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
So who wants to squash some ratbros and Satan worshippers with me tonight?

Mojobeard

Augur
Live and with the same bugs as the first beta. "Fullbright" lighting (imagine every texture like you'd have turned brightness all the way up). Sound that stops working for some weapons, or music. And it's still apparently crashing for some people.
The devs very heavy-handedly nerfed all the really ridiculously strong stuff away. Which is good, bosses were dying in seconds, but some of the class abilities still feel nonsensical or too weak. Ranged weapon classes now also have only +50% ammo and not +100%, which is just one reload in most cases. But to balance that, ammo drops seems to have increased.

All around very fun co-op stuff, even with randoms. Just be aware that you usually need to play the connecting link between slowpokes and spastics.

I'd heavily recommend installing ReShade to make the game looks less foggy and washed out, which you should be doing for pretty much all newer games anyway. Don't go for some 17 year old's presets though. Just give it some LumaSharpen, slightly adjust the lighting, and remove the brown filter.

TedNugent

Arcane
Literally get angry every time I see this game.

Waiting in vain for a game where you play as a member of the vermintide, sweeping up human civilization in a horde of messy ratling vengeance.

Die-die manthings!

Nael

Arcane
I'm failing to see what the point of Co-Op is, at least at Recruit levels. Playing with Bots I have only fallen once after 5-6 successful missions. With other players I usually die multiple times in the first minute or two.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing this and first impressions are really meh so far. The intro on Vermintide 1 was much better, you quickly got sense of where you were, what you were doing and the importance of it, Vermintide 2 start on a really confusing way, first, they removed the map from the mission selection screen, this is idiotic because now you have no idea where the missions you are doing take place on the game world, so the narrator goes... "you need to rescue farmers on the biggest farms nearby Ussingen.", just a question... where is Ussingen? You have no idea, maybe if you are a warhammer buff, what I'm not. Okay, later you do a mission to destroy a grain storehouse on the destroyed town of Ussingen that you have no fucking clue where it is, everyone in the city is dead, the city is in ruin and this is it, you go from rescuing generic peasants on a ruined farm to destroy grain on a ruined town you don't even know where it is and why it is important... Not mentioning, that going on generic farmland and generic ruins and generic forests is confusing and far from what I think is exciting.

Vermintide 1 was much better at creating context, you had a feeling of helping the city defend against the invasion while doing the missions, not saying all missions on that game were good, but here, many of the missions I played so far are really formulaic. The first mission on Vermintide 1 had you trying to blow the horn of Magnus and while you were going through the city, you hear cries, sounds of explosions and warning bells as the city got finaly aware of the invasion. Enviromental storytelling on this game is really weak so far in comparison with the previous one and it hurts the game because you don't feel like you finished a really cool mini adventure on Warhammer fantasy when you end a mission, just that you fulfilled random MMO goals for loot.

They had the brilliant idea of spoiling the end goal of the game right on the tutorial mission, never, never show the end goal of your story and then just do formulaic steps to reach that goal without any kind of twist, it kills curiosity, maybe I'm being unjust as I didn't play the later missions yet but if I go doing random missions against random goals then just go doing the end goal that was already spoiled on the start of the game... really, those guys know nothing.

Really, in terms of gameplay... they have this stat now, power, you gather power with better gear but you have zero clue what this power stat really do, I started with zero power and now have 100 power, from what I've seen, I didn't notice a big change on the effectiveness of my attacks. Another problem, some weapons and abilities are really useless, the repeating pistol of the inquisitor requires five shots to the body of a rotblood chaos soldier to kill it, I only have 68 shots playing with the ranged focused subclass, it is useless against armor (why a crossbow can penetrate armor while a fucking bullet can't is a mystery.) so you need to headshot alot to make this weapon useful but why to waste ammo on trash and why use it if a crossbow is better at killing elite enemies as it is much more precise and has better range?

This overbalance nerfing into making many weapons broken is everywhere, it is kinda funny, while on the past, many developers made unbalanced games in the sense of making you too powerful, they are over correcting on the other direction making your options feel quite pointless. Many weapons just don't feel fun to use, a big problem on a Left for Dead clone, if you use a big axe or a warhammer, only your power attacks do area of effect and they are slow as fuck, to balance that, they can easily dispatch armored enemies but armored enemies are a rarity on Recruit (good luck trying to find a public game on the higher difficulties) so you feel like you are letting your team down by having a inferior weapon that is really outclassed by quicker one handed weapons (I never played a game where the ranger or the fire mage weren't the top killers).

So far, I'm having more fun playing with the Ai because on contrary than expectations suggest, a few C++ lines of codes are smarter than quite a few players that think they are playing Call of Duty Warhammer Edition.

Not sure if this is better than Vermintide 1 so far.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I mean I did warn you guys to just pre-order and farm to 100+ hero power before the game releases so you don't get stuck playing with the retards.. If you didn't do that, yeah, AI is actually leagues better than most people playing on rookie difficulty but IDK if they'll get you through vet or harder.

If you don't want to play with bots, just leave any game that has players lower than level 8 or so. If you join a game with a bunch of level 1-4s just assume they're retarded and quit and join a new game. Then add people who are decent to friends and you'll be able to just make your teams with actual good players before long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom