Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer: The End Times - Vermintide AKA Left 4 Dead with Skaven

Having fixed items with a tiered scoring system for each level would have been much better, but of course millenial sperglords need to have "loot" to kill everything easier and see those higher damage numbers.
Ever heard of Diablo? I am not sure that 'loot' is something that only appeals to millenials, loots is a fundamental driving povver for humanity since bronze age. Caveman evolved to created best rpg series of the golden age of rpg because they were driven by loot, and now you are shittalking about it? This seems ungratefull.
Loot was secondary in Diablo 1 (the only Diablo game worth mentioning, at least to me). Also, I never said loot only appeals to millenials, but rather that entitled little bitches make loot the primary point of games when it shouldn't be - case in point, Vermintide.

This is a cooperative action game where reaching the end of the level with your team should be the objective - doing it quickly and efficiently should be the icing on the cake, which is why a tiered scoring system would work well. Making it about loot is missing the point entirely, people run the easiest levels over and over and over again to acquire shiny items and forget the actual purpose of the game - which is, actually, to beat the levels.

As the user above pointed out, the same happens in games with achievements, such as Left 4 Dead. It happens in every game where developers introduce a goal that's not actually winning the fucking level - sperglords will sperg, and the game suffers. See also "quests" in Dota 2. It's all shit.

The devevlopers have in every update tried to cater to these entitled whiny bitches, to the detriment of the game itself. This is something that happens very often in game development these days. The game suffers for it, and it's bad for everyone. Entitled bitches who only want to see shiny loot will move on to the next, shinier loot game as soon as it's available. A potentially good game with many cool levels becomes a barren wasteland where people only "run" the easiest couple of stages because they're only interested in the red staff of fuck you or the purple sword of schlong. Everyone loses.

QED.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

If there are some people who only play the game to get the loot, how removing their only incentive to play the game will bring more player or make the game more popular? Why is that even problematic? If some people want to farm - let them. It doesn't affect other people in any way.

It's not about making the game more popular, it's about making the game better. A game with a small (but healthy) playerbase that enjoys the content is better than a game with a temporarily ballooned playerbase that only plays for the loot, for the reasons I previously explained.

About your statement that the farming playstyle doesn't affect other people - how many times do I have to repeat that PEOPLE ONLY RUN THE SAME (EASIER) COUPLE OF LEVELS OVER AND OVER TO GET LOOT INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE HARDER LEVELS, THE HARDER LEVELS ARE A BARREN WASTELAND THAT NO ONE PLAYS BECAUSE IT'S NOT AS EFFICIENT FROM A LOOT GAINING PERSPECTIVE, THEY TAKE LONGER AND ARE HARDER TO COMPLETE

PrettyDeadman

About your statement that the farming playstyle doesn't affect other people - how many times do I have to repeat that PEOPLE ONLY RUN THE SAME (EASIER) COUPLE OF LEVELS OVER AND OVER TO GET LOOT INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE HARDER LEVELS, THE HARDER LEVELS ARE A BARREN WASTELAND THAT NO ONE PLAYS BECAUSE IT'S NOT AS EFFICIENT FROM A LOOT GAINING PERSPECTIVE, THEY TAKE LONGER AND ARE HARDER TO COMPLETE
This is simply not true. Haven't played the game for several runs, but found 3 players for a white rat run in less than 30 seconds.
It seems to me that you are simply bitching because people are not playing this game the way you want them to play, which is something beyond pointless.

DramaticPopcorn

Just tried it, it's meh. Multiplayer ruins it as usual. First match and I get into a game with someone already knowing everything, dictating what to do and how. That puts me off instantly.
Honestly, at release it was pretty damn good... for a single playthrough. :negative:

A horse of course

Karak Azgaraz is coming out

http://store.steampowered.com/app/463791/

I played the beta of the first level. It's pretty short and doesn't have any new mechanics but was a nice change of scenery. Loading times are MUCH shorter with the "next-gen" performance tweaks, though I wonder what they've actually done - I noticed a lot of pop-in in larger areas and I suspect they've just said "fuck it" and downgraded the graphics across all three platforms.

I get the feeling Vermintide is going to be absolutely murdered by Deathwing as the latest B-list L4D clone that everyone plays for a couple of weeks, but maybe Deathwing will be more attractive to Killing Floor or Payday players. We'll see.
QURwRn5.jpg
y4dxIXZ.jpg
iYXsMU2.jpg
9g3lJ7h.jpg
HkiL1ie.jpg
mZoB82e.jpg

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I get the feeling Vermintide is going to be absolutely murdered by Deathwing as the latest B-list L4D clone that everyone plays for a couple of weeks, but maybe Deathwing will be more attractive to Killing Floor or Payday players. We'll see.

From what I played of Deathwing it doesn't play like Vermintide or Killing Floor. There is no permanent progression system (you start at level 0 each mission) and no loot. It's more like a singleplayer game with a COOP mode attached to it.

A horse of course

Maybe. L4D wasn't loot-driven to begin with either. I think your average co-op shooter attracts short bursts of activity upon release and then settles into a drip-drop of content for hardcore players.

Dexter

Arcane
I got this on Sale for 6,99€, got two other people to buy it too with whom I've been playing with using 3 or 4 people parties and mostly playing on Normal and trying Hard a bit so far. Liked it very much from what I've played, finished the entire campaign on Normal and got a bit of Blue gear. Even got three of the "Expansions" from a CD-Key site since I heard only the Host needs them and if he chooses the mission(s) everyone can play and even get the items and stuffz. Game seems to still be alive 3 years in, so the "2-3 months then dead" people from the first few pages seem to have been wrong and it's still fun and worth recommending almost 3 years later.

At this point I think it's such a pleasant surprise that after playing some more for a few days I might even Pre-Order Vermintide 2. I really hope they add a PvP mode like in Left4Dead, because that is where all the action and longevity from competition and trying to perfect tricks to down 4 hears at once and similar came from.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not that I don't expect people to know the game, but everyone was rushing around like it's the last day of earth. I had no fucking idea what was going on, and why was I playing with veterans of the game in the first place?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom