Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer: The End Times - Vermintide AKA Left 4 Dead with Skaven

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Passed on the option to buy this for $8 Putin bucks. Looks okay but the bots are apparently terrible and I doubt the community lasts very long. The developer, Fat Shark, has a history of developing multiplayer-based games and then abandoning them.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Refunded this today. Too many connection problems and no enough friends to play a decent session :cry:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Figured. Most multiplayer games have awful communities. Only notable exception in the last few years I can think of is Killing Floor.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Figured. Most multiplayer games have awful communities. Only notable exception in the last few years I can think of is Killing Floor.

People are pretty chill on Red Orchestra 2. It's actually one of my favorite communities. Only time anyone really gets pissed is if someone who doesn't know what they're doing takes SL1/TL.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

This games community is L4D all over again. People keep joining me and my friends' games and see that we are lower level than them and then they start bitching at us for playing the game on Hard. Of course these people are usually dumbfucks who run off alone, die and then quit in shame, if they don't just outright leave immediately. People seem to hate the idea of playing a game for challenge and will grind for loot (lol) before attempting anything higher than Normal.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Level is not an indicator of skill. You can grind easy missions forever to get a high level and that'll never prepare you for Hard. Skill is the only indicator for skill, and there's no reliable way of tracking that. A meaningless numerical value isn't helpful for anything else but creating more prejudice.

Renevent

Cipher
It is a decent indicator. A level 0 player would not have run any missions yet, so it's outright guaranteed they won't be as good as a level 30 player. They won't know the mechanics, the level layout, locations of items, combat intricacies, and other things that just have to be experienced first hand to be competent at. Even low level players (< 10) have only ran a handful of missions and most likely don't have a firm grasp on all the levels/classes/mechanics. They're also going to have weaker gear unless they got EXTREMELY lucky. Gear isn't all that important in the game, but it def helps. A group full of people with all blue+ items and trinkets have a tangible statistical advantage.

Sure, there's exceptions, like people who may have played a lot during beta but didn't have their progress recorded due to bugs, or high level players who just grinded out easy...I think those are few and far between. In my experience folks who are level 20+ def play better than folks level < 10.

Bottom line is it's not meaningless.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It's weird but I've had nothing but good experiences with the community so far. The worst I've had is unskilled players but, since I've been rolling Dwarf and sticking mostly to Normal difficulty, this hasn't been much of a problem.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Had little issues with gamebreaking bugs so far, looking forward to the first couple of DLC. They mentioned the first one will be coming free of charge and depending on how influential the DLC will be others will be free too.
The helpdesk so far answered in less than 8hours everytime I reported some exploit that made the game easier and most of them have been fixed by now so they are trying to resolve those issues rather quickly.
If I remember correctly this is the first time fatshark actually has complete control over what they're doing with their game since it's their first self-published title. They did an reddit AMA that was quite extensive if anyone is interested in reading that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/3pwtbv/summary_of_the_ama_with_fatshark_at_rgames/

So far I like what I'm seeing and I like what I'm hearing, the only question is how do I convince a couple of friends of mine to play it with me. Playing with randoms is a little hit and miss when trying to run nightmare, but you do have the occasional good group that can manage a couple of maps with 3tomes and sometimes even 2 grimoires. Running hard with 3tomes/2grimoires has been no issue whatsoever for me though, sometimes you have a complete idiot in your team which can spoil the fun but thats what votekick is for.

If there is one feature I would really like to have is seeing who I recently played with. Having a great group and disconnecting makes it impossible to reconnect with any of the other 3 players unless everyone wrote something in chat and you have their steam username and even then it is a drag to add them and them accepting you etc.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am having -so- much trouble getting my friends to want to buy it, too. What, do people really not want a better Left4Dead? With items? This has the potential to be the new Killing Floor for me but it's so hard finding people willing to give it a chance despite the low price tag.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Victor, Game Designer: We have no plans of adding microtransactions to the game. Theres really nothing more I can say about it :D

They're really vocal about microtransactions and paid DLC in their previous games being Paradox's fault, since they were the publisher. I like that they're planning on a free DLC first, and that even paid maps will be playable by everyone as long as the host has said map.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I liked that part too. Well, sort of, seeing how paradox used to be part of the incline a couple of years back.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No clue what you're talking about. He reads the game's description in the first thirty seconds. Oh, never mind, I can see you're one of the sheeple defending it.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I was commenting on the obnoxious style he was doing it in. Just because you dislike a game doesn't mean you have to be extra-edgy when trying to disregard it. Oh wait, for a second I forgot where I was.

For example he is referencing having constant crashes. Weird, because I have yet to have a single one, and none of the admittedly few people I managed to convince to get the game yet had any. There are issues with certain setups, especially older GTX cards that have already been achknowledged, finding a fix for these issues is a matter of few minutes since apparently those are relevant to a couple of games nowadays.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom