Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer (SotHR, Dark Omen) & Co

sheek

Arbiter
Did you read my post explaining how to get it to work?

Did you download the replacement cursor graphics etc?

darthkiwi

Novice
I downloaded the cursors, but to no avail: the battles start fine, but the ground is just not there. Disappeared. The terrain is jet-black, and while I CAN in fact play, I have no idea what the terrain looks like - which makes strategy almost impossible. I've searched the net and, as far as I know, I'm the only one with this problem. I've used compatibility modes, I've fiddled with the performance slider, I even ran it in VDMSound. The problem's still there. Reinstalled it - still nothing.

I've seen the temp.reg fix - where can I get this crack.zip file? I don't think it'll work, since I think it's probably something to do with video card architecture or something. (Despite the fact I switched it to CPU rendering... aagghgh... will nothing work?) But I'll try the fix anyway, on the offchance.

I've now downloaded Virtual Machine, and I'm downloading a win98 CD to use on it - so hopefully I'll be able to try this, the final bastion of possible functionality. I'm beginning to wonder if anything can possibly make this game work. Unfortunately, I don't really have a spare PC which I can devote exclusively to DO/Win98 gaming...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know, this happened to me too.

But I forgot how I fixed it. Try putting the game into the default install folder, and do the temp.reg thing.

Sorry... I really can't remember, and the solution wasn't really obvious.

darthkiwi

Novice
omigodomigodOMIGOD it *works*! At last! All I had to do was download virtual PC, a windows 98 boot floppy, a windows 98 boot CD, figure out how to get the darn thing running, install DO and away I go! Time-consuming, but all the more rewarding for the effort put in. I can set most things to max (some a blanked out, unfortunately, but at least it runs). And I can get to the menu and play and everything, plus the ground is there! Excellent.

Plus Virtual PC is amazing. Just what I've always wanted for playing old games.

There's one small problem: the sound seems a little off in DO. The music sometimes jumps in-game, and some of the speech gets stuck or echoes horribly. But it's really quite bearable, so I'm not desperate for a solution.

Now I just have to figure out how to complete the game... hm... To buy armour, or not to buy armour? That is the question...

Disconnected

Scholar
RARRRRGH!

How do you guys get DO to run on XP?!

I installed to C:\Games\Dark Omen

The game hung after the intro.

I replaced the cursers & tabbed out at the EA logo, as per GWIZ's advice.

The game hung immediately.

I re-installed to C:\Wardark & ran the XP registry fix from HOTU.

The game couldn't find the CD.

I downloaded a no-CD exe, matching my version of the game.

The game couldn't find the CD.

I don't have a Win95/98 CD any more, so Virtual Machine isn't really an option. Does anyone know how to get it running on XP?

EDIT: I've now re-installed to C:\Games\Dark Omen, disabled D3D and sound acceleration, and patched to force MMX render & disable 3Dfx. The result?

The intro is buggered, but the game runs.... Except only the sprites & GUI show ingame. The 3D is either missing or not lit (can't tell).

EDIT II: Oh and, no temp.reg file shows up during install.

EDIT III:
Marsal said:
run "regedit"
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen\1.0\Options\Options set "Selected" to "0" Instead of ''4''

I just finished the campaign and it ran pretty much flawlessly. I found some Frankenstein version of SotHR that's supposed to run on XP, I'll post a link if it works (download is very slow atm).
Changing it to 3 made the ingame graphics appear. FMVs still don't display though.

darthkiwi

Novice
My graphics only showed up using Virtual pc, but my FMVs always ran fine. I'm using an NVidia 8600. I'm assuming you've messed around with compatibility modes and the performance slider?

Also, I think you can find Win98 boot floppies and maybe the CD on the internet. Not entirely sure about that, though, and if it runs anyway then it might be more bother than it's worth.

Disconnected

Scholar
Thanks Darthkiwi, that was what I considered. But I decided it's too much of a bother.

As it is I can play the game if I disable D3D, or watch the FMVs if I don't. Sadly the game crashes If I Alt-Tab & switch, but honestly, the FMVs are pretty fucking terrible so it's no biggie (besides, the sound is fine).

I wish I could run the thing windowed though, but if that ever worked, it doesn't seem to now.

ollyORKO1l

Novice
The Warhammer Dark Omen Community is Proud to Announce:

Ever Expanding Community that play Monthly Tournaments!

Full 3D Mode on XP /Vista Multiplayer, Even TV Streaming Live Battles!

28 playable Multiplayer Maps!

Troop Stats and Sprite Editors!

Alternate Goblin and Dwarf Campaigns!

Further Mods under Developement-

Such as New Map Editor/Game Engine, New 3D Buildings/Scenary Models,

New Races/Characters - Dwarf and Chaos etc..

A Great Time to Join!

All Welcome and game Fixes/Battle Training Provided

http://www.dark-omen.org

:)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom