Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer (SotHR, Dark Omen) & Co

herne

Novice
sqeecoo said:
Yannos said:
Oh Jasede (and everyone else),
here is how to play the game under XP (I tested it and it works) :

1)Copy RMORPH folder contents to your windows\system32 folder.
2)Copy WARFB folder to C:\GAMES folder (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file).
3)Create empty folder TEMP inside WARFB folder.
4)Create folder UPDATE inside WARFB folder.
5)Create folder BINARY inside WARFB\UPDATE folder.
6)Copy only files (not the folders!) from <your>\WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder.
7)Run the included file SOTHR.reg to register required dlls.
8)In your WARFB folder set for game executable compatibility option "Run in 256-color mode".
9)Run the game. If you want windowed mode, ALT-TAB from it and then select it from taskbar, it should stay windowed.

<haven't got the reg file uploaded anywhere, but just make a reg file yerself with the following contents :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB]
"Options"="1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\InstallDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\InstallOption]
@="Maximum"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\Language]
@="ENG"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\LocalDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB\\FILE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\RemoteDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB\\REMOTE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\SaveDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB\\TEMP"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\UpdateDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB\\Update"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs]
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WING.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WING32.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WINGDE.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WINGDIB.DRV"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WINGPAL.WND"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RLDDF.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RLDDI.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFTF.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFTI.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRG16M.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRG256.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRG64K.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRM16M.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRM256.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRM64K.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRG16M.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRG256.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRG64K.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRM16M.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRM256.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRM64K.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00

Enjoy!

Um, is this for Dark Omen? I can't find any of those folders.. :E

Edit: This is for Horned Rat, isn't it?

herne

Novice
Jasede said:
Oh, I see now. I meant the other registry fix-

Run the Dark Omen setup, abort it, then run temp.reg. That fixed the black screen for me.

Where exactly does this temp.reg file appear after aborting the setup? And the game has to be installed before running the setup that is abortable? Pardon me if I seem like a newb mong, I am one.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It appeared in C:\darkomen for me. And yeah, you just kinda unpack the game and manually create the registry adresses to get Windows and the game to notice they have been installed.

herne

Novice
Jasede said:
It appeared in C:\darkomen for me. And yeah, you just kinda unpack the game and manually create the registry adresses to get Windows and the game to notice they have been installed.

K, I'll give this a shot and get back to this thread after trying it out, probably fifteen times before I realise how to do things correctly. :D

sqeecoo

Arcane
Ooops, sorry herne, that was for SOTHR.

DO works fine for me when I turn off all the 3D stuff, including the cursor, and use "compatibility mode" for win95

herne

Novice
sqeecoo said:
Ooops, sorry herne, that was for SOTHR.

DO works fine for me when I turn off all the 3D stuff, including the cursor, and use "compatibility mode" for win95

I can't even get that far, all I get is a black screen that freezes as I start the game. I've tried compatibility mode and everything, none of the fixes I've come across on the internet have helped me out.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
herne said:
I can't even get that far, all I get is a black screen that freezes as I start the game. I've tried compatibility mode and everything, none of the fixes I've come across on the internet have helped me out.

Well, if you can run VirtualPC, that should work just fine. Otherwise, keep trying it on various computers, I guess. That's the only thing that worked for me in the end.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah I got the black screen too. You need to manually create a .reg file. What you need to type into it is somewhere in this thread.

Bah! I can't remember! It's in this thread though - a .reg file you need to paste and run. I think. I forgot. I'll read through this thread later and see if I can remember.

herne

Novice
pkt-zer0 said:
herne said:

Well, if you can run VirtualPC, that should work just fine. Otherwise, keep trying it on various computers, I guess. That's the only thing that worked for me in the end.

I got VirtualPC and created a win98 system and ran it, but quite frankly I didn't have a clue what to do next. How do I run stuff via VirtualPC? I kind of thought I figured it out but nothing happened, maybe I just did something wrong / didn't do anything right.

herne

Novice
Jasede said:
Yeah I got the black screen too. You need to manually create a .reg file. What you need to type into it is somewhere in this thread.

Bah! I can't remember! It's in this thread though - a .reg file you need to paste and run. I think. I forgot. I'll read through this thread later and see if I can remember.

Hey man, thanks. The way you praised Dark Omen earlier in this thread really drove me mad with desire to play this game again. :D

Also, could you be bothered to write down specific step-by-step instructions of what I have to do with this reg file and how? I'm an CPU retard of the highest extent. :roll:

herne

Novice
Marsal said:
Yannos said:
Yeah, thing is ; I can't really follow those instructions (aside from the cursor) since I don't even get far enough to change the rendering to CPU.

run "regedit"
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen\1.0\Options\Options set "Selected" to "0" Instead of ''4''

Try messing with this. This is where options are written. You can set cpu rendering and cursors from here.

I tried this, and mine was set to 1 by default. I set it to 0 and ran DO in compatibility mode, but I still got the same result as before, black screen that freezes.

herne

Novice
HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!!!!

I turned Comodo Firewall off to see if that had anything to do with it.. And it worked! The game runs perfectly now! I'm so fucking happy now I could die kasdjflkasdjfl! Thanks for the help everyone!

Andhaira

Arcane
I had dark omen on original cd back in 98; aazing game. Never got aorund ot finishing it, though I got as far as Kislev and got the ice mage in my group.

Ahyhoo. can't find my original cd, so I am downloading. (undeerdogs has the entire game + manual +GAME FiX). they also have shadow of the horned rat.

Anyhow, since this is the rip version, does anyone know where I can get the sound files and the movie clips??

Marsal

Arcane
Andhaira said:
I had dark omen on original cd back in 98; aazing game. Never got aorund ot finishing it, though I got as far as Kislev and got the ice mage in my group.

Ahyhoo. can't find my original cd, so I am downloading. (undeerdogs has the entire game + manual +GAME FiX). they also have shadow of the horned rat.

Anyhow, since this is the rip version, does anyone know where I can get the sound files and the movie clips??
Be a real pirate and download a cd image. Pirate > necromancer ;) Yarrr!

DonSkyMh

Novice
Hi guys. I'm a new member here and found this website by actually looking for help with getting ripped SotHR and DO to work on xp. Can any of you guys help me with this possibly? I got the ripped versions from free-game-downloads.mosw if that will help you guys in any way. If that doesn't, could you by chance send me link to the ones you downloaded?

DonSkyMh

Novice
herne said:
sqeecoo said:
Yannos said:
Oh Jasede (and everyone else),
here is how to play the game under XP (I tested it and it works) :

1)Copy RMORPH folder contents to your windows\system32 folder.
2)Copy WARFB folder to C:\GAMES folder (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file).
3)Create empty folder TEMP inside WARFB folder.
4)Create folder UPDATE inside WARFB folder.
5)Create folder BINARY inside WARFB\UPDATE folder.
6)Copy only files (not the folders!) from <your>\WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder.
7)Run the included file SOTHR.reg to register required dlls.
8)In your WARFB folder set for game executable compatibility option "Run in 256-color mode".
9)Run the game. If you want windowed mode, ALT-TAB from it and then select it from taskbar, it should stay windowed.

<haven't got the reg file uploaded anywhere, but just make a reg file yerself with the following contents :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB]
"Options"="1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\InstallDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\InstallOption]
@="Maximum"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\Language]
@="ENG"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\LocalDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB\\FILE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\RemoteDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB\\REMOTE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\SaveDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB\\TEMP"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\UpdateDir]
@="C:\\GAMES\\WARFB\\Update"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs]
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WING.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WING32.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WINGDE.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WINGDIB.DRV"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\WINGPAL.WND"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RLDDF.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RLDDI.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFTF.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFTI.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRG16M.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRG256.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRG64K.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRM16M.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRM256.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLFRM64K.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRG16M.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRG256.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRG64K.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRM16M.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRM256.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\RL\\SOFT\\RLIRM64K.DLL"=hex:01,00,00,00

Enjoy!

I just tried all that. After all doing that, get the error message cannot find dll/wand.dll then I get a heap load of missing glue and bop missing files. HELP!

DonSkyMh

Novice
Ah I got it now. Had to put / not // in the reg files. DUH! Now just got to figure out how to get rid of that gosh darn awful black battle screen for SotHR and how to get the voices for the ingame movies for DO!

skavenhorde

Novice
I use Microsoft Virtual PC to play those games. I just couldn't get Chaos gate or Final Liberation to work on XP but once I installed that I can use WIN98 on my Dual Core system.

DonSkyMh

Novice
Found out why no music of voices now. No contents in the music and sp_eng folders. Can anyone send those to me? Prefrably winzip or winrar to keep size down so I can burn to cd and rip to my comp. Thx

darthkiwi

Novice
Hi - I joined just so I could post on this thread. I played DO years ago, loved it, and of course now I want to play it again I find that XP is less than helpful in this area. I got past the intro freezing/black screen thing by doing this: (Not sure if it'll work for everyone, but might be useful, I don't think I saw this on this thread)

1) Go to Program Files, Dark Omen and start the Hardware Troubleshooter. This appears to be a sort of reg editing thing for the game which alters the options without you going into the game.
2) Click no. (Assuming you don't want DirectX5)
3) Click advanced
4) Click the checkbox for Force MMX Render.
5) Click OK and everything to exit. Now start DO and (if you had my problem) you should at least be able to get to the menu.

Ok. Now, my problem...

The menu flickers. That's okay, I can see where the buttons are. But when I start the Tutorial or a New Game, the terrain is completely black as though it's just disappeared. The deployment flags, li'l units and their banners are there, along with the HUD, but the ground's missing. Complete pain.

I think this might be to do with my graphics card. I'm using an Nvidia 8600. (I switched the rendering to CPU but the problem's still there. I also used no compatibiltiy, win95 compatibility, fiddled with the performance slider and unchecked Write Combining. Stil nothing.)

Any help?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom