Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Online private server (Return of Reckoning)

JamesGoblin

Literate
Any hints on when Land of the Dead is coming? If the rest is anything to judge by, it seems like they'll have to spend years working on NPC AIs to make it half-decent =(

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm surprised this has any traction at all. I partook in release and remember it being a dull mess with some interesting ideas and with balance way out of whack (not in a good way).

Not to mention it was a friggin' eyesore because they didn't even have proper AA options on launch all while appearing extra jagged for some reason.

A horse of course

I'm surprised this has any traction at all. I partook in release and remember it being a dull mess with some interesting ideas and with balance way out of whack (not in a good way).

Not to mention it was a friggin' eyesore because they didn't even have proper AA options on launch all while appearing extra jagged for some reason.

I downsampled it from 4k in Nvidia control panel and it looks fantastic. That just means .png-sized screenshots though so I just went back to regular since nobody really pays attention to jaggies in the screens I post.

A horse of course

Gorfang thrice-cucked :smug:

ceaf7wX.jpg
kjmNZut.jpg
Ba4rogw.jpg

A horse of course

I finally got to Stage III in Nebhorest's Tower but even a level 19/20 Hero two-shots my level 40 toon :lol:

I guess I'll have to try and organize a little group with a tank and healer. I wanna see dem unded orcs :(

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I finally got to Stage III in Nebhorest's Tower but even a level 19/20 Hero two-shots my level 40 toon :lol:

I guess I'll have to try and organize a little group with a tank and healer. I wanna see dem unded orcs :(
Why the fuck are you even PVEing in this game? The only PVE you would even want to do is public quests, otherwise you level and get gear in RVR or in arena. And then (what ruined WAR, besides having not having 3 factions.. and not having destructible keeps...) for end-game RvR the two sides try to out-race each other in finishing Public Quests to get moar points and move towards the enemy capital. Alterac Valley style, lol.

I seriously remember doing more PQs than WoW-like quests. Either way, half your skills are pointless in PVE. What's the point of having a Squig Herder if your knockback is pointless against a PVE mob? There's not. However, there is a point in knocking players off cliffs so to help win arenas. White Lion leaps? All that does in PVE is make fights end faster. In PVP a White Lion (or Marauder) is scary as fuck because it can so easily leap and kill a squishy in your team's back-line. Then there's collision detection, which means 3-4 Ironbreakers can shield up and literally block the main entrance of a keep.

And this is shit I remember from pre-Land of the Dead without even needing look up on Google.

That being said, I heard there is worthy end-game PVE boss combat, and it's in what JamesGoblin mentioned, the Land of the Dead.

Yeah, the PVE content are WoW quests. The thing is, nobody does them. Like I said, even if I did do PVE, I'd be doing PQs (of course they'd be empty after level ~10 because by then you're in T1 RvR, and then at level 20 you'd be in T2 with everybody is trying to cap keeps).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
LOL I did Tier 4 (the highest level PVP at the time?). Pilllaged the enemy capital (Altdorf) a few times I think. The Inevitable City for the other side. (Yeah, it was dumb for the races to ally into two factions)

The main sad thing is that they only had two factions, and for RvR you need 3 (or an odd number) to make sure one faction can't "permanently" outpower the other one.

Which is why Mythic's previous game, DAoC, the one WAR was based on, is better.

Hopefully Camelot Unleashed can be like DAoC 2.

*(Sadly, also, that GW2 had pretty good 3-faction RvR but really uninteresting flavor, as it was any race against any race. In DAoC the factions were divided into Albion, Hybernia, and Midgard. Each with their own flavor and each faction's classes were/played unlike the others (Albion = King Arthur Camelot era-ish/D&D-ish like Paladins, Clerics, Necromancers, Sorcerers, Bards, though Heretics were cool;Hybernia = elves and nature and shit (though also Banshees); Midgard = Basically
Vikings, Trolls, Valkyries, Thanes, Skalds, Runemasters.)

A horse of course

So, having played through some battles in Caledor, Chaos Wastes and Praag, I have to echo earlier comments that the RvR population is (as you'd expect) very lively once you reach Tier 4. Obviously capital assaults aren't implemented yet but anyone interested in this aspect of the game should have no problems finding content.

From looking at the most recent developer blog (from a few months ago) and exploring a bit, I'll give a brief rundown of how much is operational at the moment:

RvR Scenarios - Pretty much everything is in and works reasonably well, as far as I can tell, though certain Tiers are merged to keep population stable.

Battblefields/Keeps - Seem to be mostly operational at Tier 4, though areas connected to Capitals such as The Maw etc. are as yet unfinished (and pointless since Capitals aren't in). Some bugs here and there but Keep Lords can be downed and areas locked down etc.

Instances/Dungeons - Nonexistent

Lairs and bosses - Mostly operational. Can be extremely frustrating due to enemies aggro-ing and attacking players through solid obstacles and heightmaps, however. Was it like this in vanilla?

Epic Quests - T4 weapons quests seem to work fine.

Public Quests - About 60%-70% complete. They're often implemented in an ad hoc manner because the specific mechanics of a PQ in the vanilla game might be too difficult to recreate, or in some cases simply because nobody remembers precisely how a PQ worked and they have to make a thread asking for help in the forums. The only PQs that people really run with any regularity are the ones in the starting areas for Empire/Chaos or certain T4 PQs designed to farm Ruin gear (The Orcwerks in Eataine is run fairly often by large Order groups, and 2/3-man quests such as The Siren Sea in Chaos Wastes are fairly popular). Anything else is a crapshoot - some are completely dead, others are farmed for XP and T2/3 gear now and again. If you're lucky you'll run into small groups of people levelling their alts who like to hop from one PQ to another rather than do regular quests.

Post-vanilla content - There are a few things semi-implemented from later patches related to The Red Plague and so on, but in general the focus is on vanilla. Bastion Stair has quests but is innaccessible and Land of the Dead is locked (though I noticed from browsing the youtube accounts of some dev members that LotD stuff is clearly being worked on). Another interesting side-note is that the devs took Wrath of Heroes and have been experimenting with how little features from that would work in WAR, such as pathfinding code.

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

For reference, at weekends I usually see at least 2 full warbands per each side fighting over the main battleground. Here's a pic of our WB holding the line until the zone locks whilst the other warband was hunting down incursions:
oGiqFLr.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Ohh good stuff.

You'd probably rather not have T4 level PQs implemented - or not have them affected RvR - because at a certain point territory control was based on accumulating points or whatever which included PQs, and people decided to race the other factions in PQs instead of PVPing. Was kinda intentional because these PQs were like on the "off-roads" of the RvR areas. (I mean I can't remember if T4 was changed like this "race-for-the-capital" from launch or if it turned into the meta.

It sucked (when it devolved to that point?). I'm not sure if I remember doing any sieges in T4. Maybe that's why T3 RvR was most fun, and parts of T2.

OTOH maybe the population level of a private server means T4 won't turn into a "PQ-race." Either that or it was just huge armies stand-still flinging shit at each other. No skirmishes like the pic you showed above. Didn't know you played Witch Hunter though, that and the Witch Elf were not easy to play in RVR.

Edit: I had it downloaded for a while for this server, think I deleted it for disk space, not sure why I never tried to play. Laziness? Order, though? Meh.

Last edited:

Why the fuck are you even PVEing in this game? The only PVE you would even want to do is public quests, otherwise you level and get gear in RVR or in arena. And then (what ruined WAR, besides having not having 3 factions.. and not having destructible keeps...) for end-game RvR the two sides try to out-race each other in finishing Public Quests to get moar points and move towards the enemy capital. Alterac Valley style, lol.

Speaking from a Runepriest's perspective, some of the gear from PVE was unquestionably better than the stuff you'd get for RVR. The game had really shitty itemization for healers, and for some reason all of the RVR gear gave DPS stats like +int or +spell crit, meanwhile the only way to get healing crit was through the PVE dungeons or public quests. Most of the good runepriest passives were geared around landing crit heals, so doing the PVE stuff was pretty much a requirement if you weren't playing a shitty DPS or hybrid build. I remember wearing a set of shoulders from a T4 public quest well into the endgame because it was the only one that gave healing crit, it wasn't even the Sentinel stuff from the Capital dungeon that 99% of other Runepriests were wearing, and I'd get tons of whispers asking me where I got them.

As an aside I hope Land of the Dead never gets implemented, screw that buggy trash of an expansion. I always liked Darkness Falls in DAoC, but LotD was a complete disappointment in comparison.

edit: Hell, I'm pretty sure the best staff for any caster period came from killing one of the bosses in Bastion Stair. It had a good amount of +piety or +int depending on the class, a good amount of crit and I want to say 3 slots? A buddy of mine abused some bug with White Lions where resummoning your pet repeatedly gave you 100% parry chance, and we ended up killing the boss with just the two of us. Someone must have been watching because he ended up taking a ban for it. I always applauded his sacrifice for this generous act. I got my staff, and he made the ultimate sacrifice :salute:

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Speaking from a Runepriest's perspective, some of the gear from PVE was unquestionably better than the stuff you'd get for RVR. The game had really shitty itemization for healers, and for some reason all of the RVR gear gave DPS stats like +int or +spell crit, meanwhile the only way to get healing crit was through the PVE dungeons or public quests. Most of the good runepriest passives were geared around landing crit heals, so doing the PVE stuff was pretty much a requirement if you weren't playing a shitty DPS or hybrid build. I remember wearing a set of shoulders from a T4 public quest well into the endgame because it was the only one that gave healing crit, it wasn't even the Sentinel stuff from the Capital dungeon that 99% of other Runepriests were wearing, and I'd get tons of whispers asking me where I got them.

As an aside I hope Land of the Dead never gets implemented, screw that buggy trash of an expansion. I always liked Darkness Falls in DAoC, but LotD was a complete disappointment in comparison.

edit: Hell, I'm pretty sure the best staff for any caster period came from killing one of the bosses in Bastion Stair. It had a good amount of +piety or +int depending on the class, a good amount of crit and I want to say 3 slots? A buddy of mine abused some bug with White Lions where resummoning your pet repeatedly gave you 100% parry chance, and we ended up killing the boss with just the two of us. Someone must have been watching because he ended up taking a ban for it. I always applauded his sacrifice for this generous act. I got my staff, and he made the ultimate sacrifice :salute:
Darkness Falls was a beautiful idea.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay I started playin. If nobody else plays, I'm gonna have to figure out how to support a Witch Hunter without being an obvious and/or squishy target to six-man parties and getting alphaed to death before Witch Hunter Ed arrives. Also being able to flee unless Ed just wants to go kamikaze all the time. I guess that means either a Witch Hunter gank duo or playing a Shadow Warrior.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
just play bright wizard, flick your fingers and watch things burn.

A horse of course

Would be great to get a few more players together. We could run some scenarios or help with Open RvR at weekends.

MORE IMPORTANTLY I could do the storeh-related Public Quests without begging in chat :smug:

Levelling can actually be really fast if you have someone to help you farm/grind PQ mobs in large numbers. I went up like three levels in an hour just by following a higher-level marauder around for a while.

At the moment I have my WH at level 40 (but crap renown) and I'm levelling a Black Orc to 40 in my spare time. I've made a couple of other toons just to focus on the storeh quests in the different racial areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Would be great to get a few more players together. We could run some scenarios or help with Open RvR at weekends.

MORE IMPORTANTLY I could do the storeh-related Public Quests without begging in chat :smug:

Levelling can actually be really fast if you have someone to help you farm/grind PQ mobs in large numbers. I went up like three levels in an hour just by following a higher-level marauder around for a while.

At the moment I have my WH at level 40 (but crap renown) and I'm levelling a Black Orc to 40 in my spare time. I've made a couple of other toons just to focus on the storeh quests in the different racial areas.
I am tempted to give this a try. Is there just a single server up at the moment?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I am tempted to give this a try. Is there just a single server up at the moment?
Jah

A horse of course

I don't mind helping lowbies run PQs and stuff to level up, as I'm mostly levelling my renown via scenarios, which you can teleport to for about 10-15m at a time.

A horse of course

Maculo you better have made a character

ur on notice pal

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom