Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40K: Armaggedon - Turn-based strategy from Slitherine

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I guess it's all up to SEGA to deliver us a passable Warhammer game now... :negative:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I guess it's all up to SEGA to deliver us a passable Warhammer game now... :negative:

Well, there's also Deathwing.

Although I'd much rather get an actual strategy successor to Dark Omen/Rites of War/Dawn of War than another goddamn shooter.

Ebonsword

Arcane
There seems to be quite a few expansions for this now.

Have any of them improved the basic game play?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Nope. Bottom line is that as a hex- and turn-based wargame with IG and SM trying to stop the ork tide it's still a game that can offer a few hours of entertainment, but at the same time it's also a big disappointment with broken and poorly thought out mechanics.

It's basically a 5-10 euro game sold at a premium price with a ton of dlc because slithernie.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Nope. Bottom line is that as a hex- and turn-based wargame with IG and SM trying to stop the ork tide it's still a game that can offer a few hours of entertainment, but at the same time it's also a big disappointment with broken and poorly thought out mechanics.

It's basically a 5-10 euro game sold at a premium price with a ton of dlc because slithernie.

Well, that's...unfortunate. :(

I've been in the mood for the some good, turn-based, 40K action.

I guess it's time to break out my old PC and boot up Chaos Gate...

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
After great disappointment with cheap shit aka Battle of Tallarn Commissar has dropped his vodka rations by half and finally bought the game; here is his Steam review:

Solid, well done turn based strategy game made in the Warhammer 40K universe; although the price is a bit step its only half what AAA games you will play few hours and abandon cost and this little gem can bring you hundreds hours of fun. Much more polished than most of WH related products released lately (I am talking about your Batlle for Talarn) with no bugs nor glitches; Only thing this game lacks its a bit of personalization; you don't get to choose your avatar, get no medals (nor Commissar bolt to the face) during the long campaign and your units lack the named leaders feature from authors last tittle the Panzer Corps. Still its as close as you will get to table top without spending houndred of pounds on miniatures and manuals and worthy turn based strategy game on its own.. Don't understand the complains about the graphics to be honest if it was fullly 3D tittle wiht AA, filed of view and voiced dialogues we would get a short campaign a few scenarios and Multi Player only; the graphics is neat table top like and adds to immersion without turning it into CPU killer. Highly recommended modern classic for obviously prestigious Crowd. :obviously:

They even fixed Total Biscuit point about lack of Titans v by adding a half dozen of variants to game; now after 3 years its complete mature game well worth buying and playing. For the Emperor!

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
Stuff like that you can't use elite reinforcements are still in game though,its literally impossible to have an experienced steel legion force by the end of act 1 expect tanks.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I use 2 infantry units the Company HQs for morale boost and taking objectives in cities as this game is mostly about combined arms combate with huge accent on your armored units but... this is indeed good point; once again strange omission given that Panzer Corps got elite reinforcements. Its not like this prevents you for playing though; this game is more about unit positioning and using right tool to do the job than individual unit wank; you play as Imperial Guard Commander so expect every of your units to be totally sacrificeable cog in huge machine.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did they balance the things better since 2014/15? I remember the game really going downhill once you hit super heavy tanks and titans, the balance and varied army composition completely went out the window. Which was unfortunate because the campaign until then was really good.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
well in games like these my inner autism always triggers when i dont have a 100% correct lore wise force composition.
i rolled with 3 inf platoons,1 company command,1ratling sniper,1 ogryn ,1 conscripts platoon,1 mortar team,1 destroyer,3 basilisks,2 executioners.by the time act 1 ended the only infantry units with almost full xp where the ratlings and the mortar team.

the things that this game misses/does wrong are numerous,there is no consistency within the weapon stats-a mega bolter mounted on a Titan unit doesnt have any pen,but the devastators bolter has lol.there are no secondary objectives in the missions to give you extra requisition/units (at least at the main campaign),grots can kill terminators LEL LOL,pretty much inf is useles even space marines especially melee types.
its a good game for 10 bucks but nothing more.

razvedchiki

Erudite
so brudas have you tried the space marines dlcs?people in the web say they have improved a bit from the base game.im particularly interested into the salamanders dlc,i like dem people loving lizards.

Alpharius

Scholar
Idk, i liked the original campaign well enough. Sm one was more more of the same only that you're limited to SM units, so no titans and super heavy tanks and you're forced to use infantry pretty often. The tankiest units are dreads and land raiders. The number of dreads per army is unlimited, if thats what you mean. Salamanders get more armor, Blood angels - more accuracy, Ultramarines - reduced cost.

Did they balance the things better since 2014/15? I remember the game really going downhill once you hit super heavy tanks and titans, the balance and varied army composition completely went out the window. Which was unfortunate because the campaign until then was really good.
I'm pretty sure its doable with infantry spam too, cause in MP infantry spam beats tanks and titans 10 times out of 10.
Something like : lots guardsmen with lasguns, some mortars and salamanders, and healthy amount of anti tank squads.

razvedchiki

Erudite
im playing the salamander dlc atm and again its impossible to build experienced infantry units,i got to mission 5 and still my tactical/assault are 1-2 skul only.the desicion to remove elite reinforcements was retarded.only usable units that can actually work are the dreadnoughts,which i dont want to spam cause whats the point if chessing.
also the unit balance is wtf is happening,grots killing terminators/tactical bolters with better penetration than titan units etc.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, this game is severely schizophrenic. Not sure why it's so difficult to make a proper PG clone, but apparently it's almost impossible.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Indeed, I think the game has 2 core problems:
It tries to simulate the TT, while being more of a strategic game, so 80 grots will each have a shot at your 5 terminators, which leads to the question:
Why do space marines use smaller units when the rules of the universe lets every single grot in a company get a shot at them.
Basically, unit number is very important, and nonsensical.

The other problem is that there is no difference between tank and infantry when it comes to damage. It is a shame that Dow1 does it better when it comes to having different target (ie armor) types.

Alpharius

Scholar
Indeed, I think the game has 2 core problems:
It tries to simulate the TT, while being more of a strategic game, so 80 grots will each have a shot at your 5 terminators, which leads to the question:
Why do space marines use smaller units when the rules of the universe lets every single grot in a company get a shot at them.
Basically, unit number is very important, and nonsensical.

The other problem is that there is no difference between tank and infantry when it comes to damage. It is a shame that Dow1 does it better when it comes to having different target (ie armor) types.
I think the system where any unit can have any armor & penetration is a better one than the one with rigid armor & damage types. I.e. one could make a copy of dow1 armor & damage types in warhammer 40k armageddon but not the other way around. The devs just didn't bother to balance it very well, so most units seem the same. In MP though i'd say there are more distinct (non-underpowered) unit types available to the imperium than in dow1 or 2. Orks are kinda meh though, basicaly all their vehicles except artillery are utter garbage so they are left only with various boyz squads.

Not sure if balance changed much in that Da orks expansion but i doubt it.

Unit number is useful for making sure anti-tank weapons don't slaughter infantry squads.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I think the system where any unit can have any armor & penetration is a better one than the one with rigid armor & damage types. I.e. one could make a copy of dow1 armor & damage types in warhammer 40k armageddon but not the other way around. The devs just didn't bother to balance it very well, so most units seem the same. In MP though i'd say there are more distinct (non-underpowered) unit types available to the imperium than in dow1 or 2. Orks are kinda meh though, basicaly all their vehicles except artillery are utter garbage so they are left only with various boyz squads.

Not sure if balance changed much in that Da orks expansion but i doubt it.

Unit number is useful for making sure anti-tank weapons don't slaughter infantry squads.
Indeed, armor value vs penetration works better, but in Dow, at least, Infantry felt different than tanks.
Panzer General also had armor penetration vs armor value (well, attack vs defense, but they served more or less the same purpose), but treated soft and hard targets differently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom