Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach - 3D turn-based strategy from Slitherine

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Ventidius Learned

Ventidius
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    So, has this gotten any better after the last few updates? Or should I just buy Final Liberation (it's on sale on GOG right now)?

^ Top  
  2. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It has gotten better for sure.
    Just buy Final Liberation while it is on sale, then decide if you want more of the same IMO.

Game System: FL
    I find it a bit easier to predict the damage and chance to hit in FLib, which makes making decisions easier.
    Buildings are garrisonable and destructible, which is a huge advantage.

Multiplayer: SR
    That said, FLib is probably less balanced than SR now, and it is much easier to find a game for SR than FL.

Campaign: FL
    Final Liberation has a better campaign structure, where you decide where to go, which units to purchase

Unit Progression: SR
    You can assign skills to your veteran on level up, which is a nice (but not very lore friendly) addition, while veterans cannot be customized in FL.

Scale: FL
    Titans and companies: FL allows you to field larger units, and more of them.

Variety: SR
    SR has 2 Space Marines Campaign and one Ork DLC campaign + user made skirmish maps.

UI: SR
    Both are bad, but FL is worse IMO.

Graphics and animations: SR
    Not much to argue about here. It is not even close.

Both are enjoyable but flawed in different ways.

But SR will still get better with patches and DLC, while FL is as good as it will ever be, so it's probably better to play FL first if you don't mind the graphics.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    http://www.slitherine.com/news/2352...the.interview.and.a.sneak.peek.on.whats.next!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    It is very strange that Slitherine publishes the interview on their own website before putting it on wargamer.com.
    The part about the plans for the future is encouraging. I really hope they eventually make buildign garrisonable (like in Battle Academy 2, which is build on the same engine...).

^ Top  
  5. *-*/\--/\~ Savant

*-*/\--/\~
    Parrots:
    Hmm, the 'classic' imperial guard looks much better than the new blue dudes. ;/

^ Top  
  6. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    The Tempestus Scions aren't so new, but you are tight they look ugly. Way too soft shapes, but these models are based on GW models, which are bad too, but not that soft:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    You can apply for beta if you are interested:

^ Top  
  8. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    The Astra Militarum expansion is coming soon:

^ Top  
  9. *-*/\--/\~ Savant

*-*/\--/\~
    Parrots:
    Oooh, muh imperial guardsesss... :D Will try.

^ Top  
  10. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    I am soooo tempted to make an LP with this, Codex player names.

But I am also soooo lazy.

^ Top  
  11. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    http://www.slitherine.com/news/2401/Sons.of.Cadia.-.A.look.at.the.campaign!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Ventidius Learned

Ventidius
    Parrots:
    Sons of Cadia is out:

^ Top  
  13. mwnn85 Learned

mwnn85
    Parrots:
    Was looking forward to the release of this - patch notes:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/502370/discussions/0/1482109512304622559/

There was a couple of annoying bugs like the end of level XP glitch - hope that's fixed.
    I don't think the 2 man weapon teams had enough models either.

Don't think we've got a persistent campaign yet? A bit like Final Liberation or Chaos Gate - maybe the next DLC.
    All I've seen so far are standalone scenarios which are vaguely linked together.
    Units don't really die but do gain experience.
    I would've preferred some of the missions to be straight up death matches rather than time-limit based.
    I'd also like the option of selecting what unit upgrade I'd like rather than the random choice of two.
    Definitely one of the better, recent 40K games.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dawkinsfan69 Savant

Dawkinsfan69
    Parrots:
    I love that this game LOOKS so much like the table top 40k. Does it play like it?

I think I'll hold out on this until they release more races but once it's more "complete" it looks like it'll be a nice alternative to spending like $1k on an actual 40k army...

^ Top  
  15. mwnn85 Learned

mwnn85
    Parrots:
    It isn't a strict adaptation of the tabletop 8th edition rules with dice rolls, strength vs armor, wounds, saves, combat phases, auto hitting flamers, etc.
    I do wish Games Workshop would allow such a game to be made.
    Still quite enjoyable though - like Mordheim, Blood Bowl, etc.
    Holding out for a proper campaign isn't a bad idea; it's basically a series of semi-randomised missions - with the odd hand made mission thrown in.

Every unit has a certain number of move points and can take two actions per turn.
    Each ranged unit can do one (automatic) overwatch attack per turn.
    Units have morale and will miss their attacks or rout if low enough; flamers specially target morale.
    There's cover objects/tiles on the map which reduce incoming damage.
    When melee units attack they kill a single model in the opposing unit - which is a bit strange at first. You basically use them to tie up ranged units or to attack bosses/vehicle units.
    Unit facing is quite important for overwatch attacks and armor values.

I've not played the Sons of Cadia release much yet - blasting the Orks to bits in the new Imperial Guard tutorial mission was quite funny.
    The AI had a few chances to tie my units up in melee with Stormboys but didn't choose to =\
    I didn't expect the basic Lasgun guards to hit quite so hard.

Been busy levelling up my Reiklanders on Mordheim.
    They really missed a trick by not adding more quick multiplayer modes i.e. instant fixed rating battles, etc.
    Got a bit battered on Mission 3, Act 1 - fighting the demons; shouldn't have split my party.
    Can't parry claw attacks and there's a Bloodletter, Pink Horror, Plague Bearer, Daemonette - nasty business.
    High level Marksman died, Captain got a broken jaw, mysterious ailment on a Warrior.
    (Sacked) Champion lost a leg to a whore sister of battle sigmar.
    Once I've turned the newbie Marksman into a LGT Hero I'll be heading back there for some retribution.
    I'll bring the Ogre along this time as well.
    First story mission was easy. 2nd mission was tricky - the game kept spawning Darksouls once I'd cleared the Chaos Spawn and starting enemy units - managed to pull that off somehow without casualties.

Humble have a Games Workshop sale on at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Parrots:
    Love this game, only just heard about it and got it. Really enjoying it so far. Worried it will get repetitive but so far so good.

^ Top  
  17. Stavrophore Learned

Stavrophore
    Parrots:
    Game looks very simple even primitive with not much tactical options. That's the impression from YT vids.

^ Top  
  18. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Parrots:
    I actually like the scions. I think the helmets and the baroque armor are pretty cool and fit with the Imperiums aesthetic.
    That said, the Karskins and the old stormtroopers were certainly better models design wise, and its a pity they didn't bring them to plastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Parrots:
    I'd say it has more tactical options than say Jagged Alliance or most similar games, and Xcom etc. Those games have fewer unit types, no artillery etc, and in this game you have some fast units that can move out from behind cover, shoot stuff, then move back behind the cover. And you get to choose which units you use each mission. It gets more advanced the more you play as well because the units you use regularly level up and get more abilities. So they get heals and buffs they can use on nearby units, smoke grenades to block line of site, frags, tracing bullets that let future shooters have a higher chance against that target, etc.

It's not perfect though, the maps are big outdoor areas with debris and stuff you can hide behind to get cover, but so far I haven't seen any maps with buildings or anything so it doesn't have the complexity of an Xcom map with indoor areas and stuff. I doubt it has anything like that later on. The maps are bigger though.

So far the missions have been quite good because some of them have you capture and hold some key areas, but some of them have you flee across the map, chased by an army of bad guys, and you have to fight your way through another army of bad guys to reach where you heading. And I've had some assault missions where I have to find a few artillery and gank them. So there is some good variety. Definitely worth playing if you like tactical turn based stuff.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Actually, on Grim Darkness (or in MP), the game is pretty challenging:
    Marines are shootier than orks, but orks are deadlier at close range, so it is mostly about LoS denials for approaching orks (and using cheap units as ablative armor for reaction fire), and making sure orks cannot go through without getting pounded as Marine.
    I suppose IG is an extreme version of the marine, better at long range, but really brittle.
    The main problem for me is the campaign in which you get random or preset units from your force pool (or not) for each battle, instead of letting you select what to deploy (you still have to deploy a subset of your selection). I really preferred the direction they went in Final Liberation with the campaign (strategic map where you had to defend your liberated provinces, and choose where to go next).

^ Top  
  21. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Parrots:
    Playing it all night tonight, there are loads more bits of tactics I never noticed at first. The rear of the huge enemy battle wagon thing seems to be weaker than the other 3 sides. From the sides I was doing tiny damage, had to rush my dreadnaut over to do some big hits. Then when it fled, I shot it from behind with my weaker guys and they did about 10 times more damage than I was doing to the sides. The grenade that blinds enemies is really sweet. One of my high level units got a new ability that reduces the damage he takes from range by like 25% or something. That is a big deal! He is my front man now / sacrificial lamb. Weapons have different strengths and weaknesses, beyond what it says in the shot prediction. It might say damage very low, but your shot can kill an entire unit in one hit. I am still trying to learn what the deal is with weapons because I don't know Warhammer, so like the Meltagun I thought was something that melted shit yet it does very low damage to the big tanks. The commando dude I was using I thought he was shit at first because he couldn't shoot anyone and couldn't even throw anything. Then a few squads of orcs got into melee combat with him and he did massive damage with his axe and took no damage, he also blocked a lot of range damage with his electrical shield thingy. The fast hovercraft type units are really uber and should be used in a very mobile way. I have them drive quite far forward to get good shots up close to stuff and do a lot of damage, then drive them all the way back to get far out of range. If I am every tempted to leave them forward, they get owned, so I learned to do hit and run only with them. The squads are sometimes split into 3 dudes, and when I attacked a squad with very high damage predicted, it ended up only doing about 2hp but it happened that it killed one of the 3 units. It is weird how that works, still don't understand it yet. Capturing the capture points is something you should hurry to do, because units seem to spawn there if not. The dreadnaut gets the ability to teleport eventually and it is super uber. Levelled up units are way stronger but they cost more to deploy, so you can deploy lots of normal ones or fewer uber ones. Still not sure which is the best strategy, so far I've been focusing only my uber guys and they are getting more and more uber. But if I lose them I guess I will be fucked.

The only thing I don't like is how enemy units can show up mid battle, and they come from the edge of the map with no warning. It sucks to capture a cap point on the corner of the map and beat a bunch of bad guys to capture it. Then you think WHEW! once they are all dead. And then the next turn a huge army of shit appears out of nowhere and spawns right on top of you. But I am still managing to win most games with only about 1 lost unit.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    :mob:

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Elex Educated

Elex
    Parrots:
    if melta gun don’t do good damage to tank then they have fucked up.

“meltasomething”=anti-all, is supposed to damage all kind of armor, and kill infantry too, but is a “waste” on weak unit because of the low rate of fire and short range.

the weakness of melta weapon is the short range: loading meltaguns on a drop pod and deliver close to enemy armor is a commo (suicide) tactic.

in the lore there is very few vehicles supposed to have antimelta plating, like the land raider

^ Top  
  24. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Parrots:
    Ahh thanks. I keep using him because he is levelled up and sometimes he does great damage. I guess it varies. Most of the units are kind of cannon fodder though while my Dreadnauts kill stuff. I'm starting to like my few melee units because they can survive ok while my ranged stuff kills everything. Campaign is getting harder now.

^ Top  
  25. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Melta have a particular ability that decreases the target's armor value.
    However, they did fuck up indeed, as I pointed out in this thread:

TLDR: Penetration is just extra damage chance, except for the following:
    if Penetration < 40 and armor is >=40, then the damage will get further reduced. But there is functionnaly zero difference between penetration 95 and 45.
    Penetration 95 will do extra damage more often, but a Penetration 45 weapon can make it up with higher base damage or rate of fire, and come on top when it comes to dispatching heavy armor.

The end result is that getting flank shot is much more important that using high AP weapons, and flanking shots are much easier to get with fast units than dedicated AT weapons.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)