Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach - 3D turn-based strategy from Slitherine

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Ventidiusgender: ⚧ Educated

Ventidius
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    So, has this gotten any better after the last few updates? Or should I just buy Final Liberation (it's on sale on GOG right now)?

^ Top  
  2. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It has gotten better for sure.
    Just buy Final Liberation while it is on sale, then decide if you want more of the same IMO.

Game System: FL
    I find it a bit easier to predict the damage and chance to hit in FLib, which makes making decisions easier.
    Buildings are garrisonable and destructible, which is a huge advantage.

Multiplayer: SR
    That said, FLib is probably less balanced than SR now, and it is much easier to find a game for SR than FL.

Campaign: FL
    Final Liberation has a better campaign structure, where you decide where to go, which units to purchase

Unit Progression: SR
    You can assign skills to your veteran on level up, which is a nice (but not very lore friendly) addition, while veterans cannot be customized in FL.

Scale: FL
    Titans and companies: FL allows you to field larger units, and more of them.

Variety: SR
    SR has 2 Space Marines Campaign and one Ork DLC campaign + user made skirmish maps.

UI: SR
    Both are bad, but FL is worse IMO.

Graphics and animations: SR
    Not much to argue about here. It is not even close.

Both are enjoyable but flawed in different ways.

But SR will still get better with patches and DLC, while FL is as good as it will ever be, so it's probably better to play FL first if you don't mind the graphics.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Taka-Haradin puolipeikkogender: ⚧ Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
    http://www.slitherine.com/news/2352...the.interview.and.a.sneak.peek.on.whats.next!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    It is very strange that Slitherine publishes the interview on their own website before putting it on wargamer.com.
    The part about the plans for the future is encouraging. I really hope they eventually make buildign garrisonable (like in Battle Academy 2, which is build on the same engine...).

^ Top  
  5. *-*/\--/\~gender: ⚧ Learned

*-*/\--/\~
    Parrots:
    Hmm, the 'classic' imperial guard looks much better than the new blue dudes. ;/

^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    The Tempestus Scions aren't so new, but you are tight they look ugly. Way too soft shapes, but these models are based on GW models, which are bad too, but not that soft:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    You can apply for beta if you are interested:

^ Top  
  8. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    The Astra Militarum expansion is coming soon:

^ Top  
  9. *-*/\--/\~gender: ⚧ Learned

*-*/\--/\~
    Parrots:
    Oooh, muh imperial guardsesss... :D Will try.

^ Top  
  10. Mangoosegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    I am soooo tempted to make an LP with this, Codex player names.

But I am also soooo lazy.

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Taka-Haradin puolipeikkogender: ⚧ Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
    http://www.slitherine.com/news/2401/Sons.of.Cadia.-.A.look.at.the.campaign!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Ventidiusgender: ⚧ Educated

Ventidius
    Parrots:
    Sons of Cadia is out:

^ Top  
  13. mwnn85gender: ⚧ Educated

mwnn85
    Parrots:
    Was looking forward to the release of this - patch notes:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/502370/discussions/0/1482109512304622559/

There was a couple of annoying bugs like the end of level XP glitch - hope that's fixed.
    I don't think the 2 man weapon teams had enough models either.

Don't think we've got a persistent campaign yet? A bit like Final Liberation or Chaos Gate - maybe the next DLC.
    All I've seen so far are standalone scenarios which are vaguely linked together.
    Units don't really die but do gain experience.
    I would've preferred some of the missions to be straight up death matches rather than time-limit based.
    I'd also like the option of selecting what unit upgrade I'd like rather than the random choice of two.
    Definitely one of the better, recent 40K games.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dawkinsfan69gender: ⚧ Scholar

Dawkinsfan69
    Parrots:
    I love that this game LOOKS so much like the table top 40k. Does it play like it?

I think I'll hold out on this until they release more races but once it's more "complete" it looks like it'll be a nice alternative to spending like $1k on an actual 40k army...

^ Top  
  15. mwnn85gender: ⚧ Educated

mwnn85
    Parrots:
    It isn't a strict adaptation of the tabletop 8th edition rules with dice rolls, strength vs armor, wounds, saves, combat phases, auto hitting flamers, etc.
    I do wish Games Workshop would allow such a game to be made.
    Still quite enjoyable though - like Mordheim, Blood Bowl, etc.
    Holding out for a proper campaign isn't a bad idea; it's basically a series of semi-randomised missions - with the odd hand made mission thrown in.

Every unit has a certain number of move points and can take two actions per turn.
    Each ranged unit can do one (automatic) overwatch attack per turn.
    Units have morale and will miss their attacks or rout if low enough; flamers specially target morale.
    There's cover objects/tiles on the map which reduce incoming damage.
    When melee units attack they kill a single model in the opposing unit - which is a bit strange at first. You basically use them to tie up ranged units or to attack bosses/vehicle units.
    Unit facing is quite important for overwatch attacks and armor values.

I've not played the Sons of Cadia release much yet - blasting the Orks to bits in the new Imperial Guard tutorial mission was quite funny.
    The AI had a few chances to tie my units up in melee with Stormboys but didn't choose to =\
    I didn't expect the basic Lasgun guards to hit quite so hard.

Been busy levelling up my Reiklanders on Mordheim.
    They really missed a trick by not adding more quick multiplayer modes i.e. instant fixed rating battles, etc.
    Got a bit battered on Mission 3, Act 1 - fighting the demons; shouldn't have split my party.
    Can't parry claw attacks and there's a Bloodletter, Pink Horror, Plague Bearer, Daemonette - nasty business.
    High level Marksman died, Captain got a broken jaw, mysterious ailment on a Warrior.
    (Sacked) Champion lost a leg to a whore sister of battle sigmar.
    Once I've turned the newbie Marksman into a LGT Hero I'll be heading back there for some retribution.
    I'll bring the Ogre along this time as well.
    First story mission was easy. 2nd mission was tricky - the game kept spawning Darksouls once I'd cleared the Chaos Spawn and starting enemy units - managed to pull that off somehow without casualties.

Humble have a Games Workshop sale on at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)