Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Wargames emphasizing playability

boot

Prophet
... I see. Thanks for the lesson senpai, hope you find what you're looking for.

chuft

Augur
It's really just a question of time scale. It has nothing to do with realism or depth of play.

In a game with 4 hour turns, the German attack on Brest Litovsk in 1941 would be a long drawn out affair. In a game with two week turns, it would be one die roll, or perhaps just an overrun during the movement phase.

The bigger the time scale the more dramatic and fast moving the combat. 4X games tend to have very large time scales so their combat tends to be very dramatic.

Strategic Command and its brethren have good time scales. It's just that games like that seem to be rare on the computer.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, stop with the fucking excuses. You're a gigantic faggot. TOAW allows units to be destroyed in turn. You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
According to Slitherine: "It includes extra missions, balance enhancements, bug fixes and a much simpler serial number copy protection system". So just a minor upgrade then. For WW2 at corps level, it may match what your looking for. I'm not aware of any competition for it in this particular niche. Note that it is only the European theatre. Gary Grigbsy's "high level" World At War covers all theatres. It looks like a boardgame, but I have no idea on how good it is. It never made much of an impression so I'm guessing fairly mediocre?

GG's World at War plays like a beefed up Axis and Allies. The most important decisions being who and when to attack, and balancing research and production. It doesn't leave much room for maneuver given the scale, so Word in Flames it is not, but it plays pretty quickly, which makes it ideal for PBEM.
You can get a 4 player game finished in a reasonable time frame, like 1 month.
I really liked it as a replacement for Axis and Allies, even though I missed the maneuver aspect of more detailled wargames.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom