Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Wargame: Red Dragon

Mortmal

Arcane
You get much better atgm , and the maps arent suitable to tanks, T72 wilk is still as good as before but you wont see much of the them, i rarely see people playing eastern block .

8IsP0

Nips, Kwans, Somalis, none can stand against the power of WhiskeyWilk.

8ItyW.jpg

8It0i

:salute:

There is quite a few new units, though I'm not exactly sure why only Best Germany got 90 line infantry. WILK enthusiasts will be very happy to know that they not only have another (upgraded) WILK variant but also even more upgraded final product of this program:

bfDKA6L.jpg

Funny thing is this isn't even best tank NSWP can field now

tLDADCf.jpg

Yes that's an autocannon. Another very cool addition I didn't screenshot is Czech T-55 Dyna, it's like 65 points and comes with 4 Arkan ATGM's. Range? 2800m. 21 AP too. Just park supply truck in vicinity and you're good.

p3bSxk9.jpg

Czech's get Dana upgrade. If we are to believe armory stats it essentially is armored (slightly slower) Ceasar.
Potato get's cluster MLRS, note rate of fire and amount of rockets, could be useful. Germoney also gets Uragan.

G58H8H6.jpg

New Hind variant with AA missiles and upgraded Kokon.

utm4r4O.jpg

Could be great for heli rush.

xGe0IDB.jpg

Finally new Potato SAM. As a side note all big SAM's like Buk's KUB's etc. are HE 9 now(not sure if it's from earlier patch or whatever though). Balance wise I also noticed SPAAG's like Tunguska (Germany gets it too) and Shilka got a lot deadlier. Also Mig-29 for everyone! (in NSWP)
Ofc there is a lot more new units, full list here: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=47012

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This game is like the wet dream of a modern military enthusiast like myself. To bad I'm shit at competition based multiplayer. :(

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So uhh, how is it compared to W:AB? Because I thought they had a lot of issues coming out of the gate so I steered clear.

I guess it's better, it's not like AB didn't have issues and dominant strategies that make no sense in reality. Anyway, SPAAG's are very much OP right now (well at least it's better meta than "Who needs a BUK anyway?" manpad one), non F&F AT missiles are borked right now (missiles roll to hit several times and will literally go out of their way to miss target, basically someone at Eugen fucked up and randomly changed stat).

Even though they improved infantry play a lot by removing damage multiplier I'm still not liking it. They really should standardize MG stats, modelling differences between M60 and Minimi at this scale is pointless and they aren't doing such a great job at it anyway, MG3 shouldn't be that much better than PKM. See infantry game kinda operates like soldiers are literally just standing there in circles, so MG can mow down one soldier after another with downtime just for reloading, same with aoe really, single tank shell will kill multiple soldiers when in reality they would be spread out to avoid just that. Generally I feel troops die way too fast, especially outside of buildings (then again I don't think AB was any better here). Forests aren't safe at all, pair of SPAAG's will kill most stuff before they can fire their rpg's.

Keep in mind I play this very little, essentially I follow development on their forums, play few test games against AI after patch etc. so I can't claim my observations are sure to be correct. Generally I'd say it's AB 1.5. Buncha new units and balance patches. It's pretty disappointing in this sense, it's not entirely new game, just more of the same.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Anything with an autocannon is pretty powerful right now, as they reworked how they fast they shoot. Ships suck, but what's new there. Infantry has been better since they removed the hidden damage bonuses to training. M60 and PKM aren't trash tier MGs anymore.

I still don't think it's as good, balance wise, as ALB was after the last patch, but it is getting there. A lot of point re-balances were needed and done, along with some availability tweaks too. All-in-all, it's moving in the right direction.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Alright, thanks for the replies on that front. Looks like I'll wait a bit and stick to ALB.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The new DLC is available if you turn on beta updates. Bunch of new units for Scandinavia (desperately needed post-1985 units). Did Eugen finally fix the weird veterancy boosts or is the game still plagued by hidden stats? I rolled a 5x scandi deck 5v5 yesterday and it was pretty fun. But I felt like I had no clue what I was doing half the time. (Except whenever my Kgl. Livgarde and Jægers blew up potato tanks worth 3-4x their point cost).

I checked out ALB too, but it looks like multiplayer is pretty much dead there.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:necro:

So Act of Aggression is such a roaring success Eugen has decided to release new maps for Wargame Red Dragon instead :happytrollboy:

Well, "new" is a relative term. They're Wargame: Airland Battle maps redone for the Red Dragon assets. I don't care, so long as I get my Highway to Oslo redux and Stromsund redux. (And maybe Gjoll Redux... I don't play 10v10 much). There's no set date on when they'll be released. "Soon™" is the official word.

Balance is pretty good now. The hidden veterancy bonuses for infantry were removed a while back. (as far as I'm aware. It's just a +accuracy bonus now. No more SAS 1-shotting planes with blowpipes). The last free expansion added some neat coalitions and units for BLUFOR. The game is mostly just missing some more maps - especially good ones for 1v1. Hopefully the touted map expansion will fix that.

If somemone wants to fite me or bro-op vs randoms or AI, lemme know. Undead Phoenix isn't available nearly enough to sate my ravenous hunger for spamming WILKs and STRV 103Ds

Last edited:

omega21

Arcane
DED
GAEM
semi-realistic strategy game with budding community killed by "tactical" DOTA-esque gameplay and a rehash of generals clone
:hero: an allegory for the industry

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Not a lot of "taktikool" games nowadays. And there's usually 10-20 games starting any time I refresh the MP lobby. Maybe 1 of them is taktikool. The rest are 2v2/3v3/4v4/10v10 with 500-1500 points per player.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Also, first "new" maps revealed:

Highway (Small)
oIAXM1n.png

Highway (large)
d3tL6Ix.png

Three Mile Island (Regular)
RbOLCWV.png

Three Mile Island (Alternate starts)
JFp7o1o.png

On the Eugen forums, they're askinf for localizations fo rmap names. So that gives an idea how many maps they're planning to port:

TO BE TRANSLATED:
#1 Highway to Seoul
#2 Heartbreak Ridge
#3 The Crown of Crags
#4 38th Perpendicular
#5 Punch Bowl
#6 Mud Fight !
#7 Death Row
#8 Operation Chromite
#9 Battle of Yuchalnok Pass
#10 Wreaks & Rocks
#11 The Green Mile

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
More maps in the pipeline. Reshuffling sectors on existing maps:

Alternate Strait to the point. Looks like it'll have more action than the stalemate we usually see across the river. I'm not sold on Alpha and November. They look too easy to defend for their point value. I'd have foregone them entirely and bumped the value of the other neutral sectors by 1 point each.
Battle-of-Yuchalnok-Pass-1024x576.png

Alternate Tough Jungle. Looks like a moshpit in the middle.
The-Green-Mile-1024x576.png

Rotated Back to Inchon... Eh. Not too psyched about that one
Operation-Chromite-1024x576.png

The next maps slated for a remake after Highway and 3 Mile Island are Copenhagen, Hamburger Hill and Fulda Gap in that order.

Funny how none of the maps have naval deployment routes. I guess Eugen have completely given up on ships.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Corporate_Jew_Master Mortmal omega21 raw Chef_Hathaway Undead Phoenix

ITZ COMING

Finally, Wargame: Red Dragon‘s ‘Map Pack #1′ is about to be released!

It will bring you 6 new multiplayer maps, all of them coming in both Conquest &Destruction mode, making a total of 12 variations.

• (1v1) Mud Fight !
  • (1v1) Paddy Field
  • (2v2) Highway to Seoul (small)
  • (3v3) Highway to Seoul (large)
  • (4v4) The Battle of Yuchalnok Pass
  • (4v4) The Green Mile
The brand new Highway to Seoul map, with its two different settings, has already been introduced here, therefore let’s focus on the other four.

[snip]

The patch being in testing phase right now, schedule for release has been moved from “soon” to “imminent“.

No three mile island or Back to Inchon variation yet. They'll come in th enext map patch.
Highway small/large, green mile and Yulchanok pass (rotated strait to the point) posted above plus:

9xBVL0p.png

6C28cq1.png

:happytrollboy:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So the new 1v1 maps are pretty good.
Paddy field is kind of unbalanced in that "Blue side" starting sector has towns, forests and sits on a hill whereas "red side" is an open field with a few hedgerows. Mud fight is much better (although "blue side" start sector again has a slight advantage in the river covering its rear. Makes it harder to drop in commandoes to hunt CV/arty).

That aside, both maps bring something that 1v1 maps have been missing. Open sectors with few/no buildings and large open fields.
Mud fight has all the command sectors fairly open, with small towns outside the sectors being highly contested to get a vantage point.
Paddy field has 2 rows of sectors. One has a few treelines and single house,s while the other has dense town/forest cover all the way.

What this achieves in reality is that mechanized decks are no longer king. There are sectors that simply cannot be held with infantry alone. The fighting (especially in paddy field) has been bloody as me and a mate have been playing 1v1 - 3k points + total destruction + no time limit. And it was exactly the shot in the arm red dragon needed.

I may do a battle report or two if I have a few hours to spare. Many Danskjävlar were blown up by superiour Volvo tanks after I was forced to build an all-swedish deck by my mate.

Now give us bro-op/competitive campaigns a la ALB plz.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
I just wish they had rolled with the mechanics they had at the end of ALB, everything is so boring now.

It's either general or armored decks, pump out as many tier 1/1.5 tanks as possible, spam SEAD fighter bombers, and run with SF/shock troops. All the other units are just chaff.
There is rarely variety, the meta is stale, and most maps are still chokepoint fests.

New maps are helping, but there are too few of them. Just import all the EE maps and be done with it. I want Hamburger Hill back ffs.

I still love this game series, don't take this the wrong way, and I just want it to be better. I still have hope, I just want it to be as fun as ALB in its heydey.

Edit: These are mostly reflections from 3v3/4v4, 1v1/2v2 may be a little different. I'm not even gonna broach the retardation that is 10v10.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Chef_Hathaway
They've confirmed 3 mile island (pictured a few posts above) and Hamburger hill as being in the pipeline. Along with reworks of existing maps to reshuffle sectors or turning a subsection of a large map into 1v1/2v2.

Also, in my experience (mostly 1v1 or 2v2), it's all about mechanized/motorized decks due to the abundance of towns in CP sectors. A handful of regular infantry with decent AT vearpons will hold a chokepoint just fine. SF are mostly for forest shenanigans.

Also, for all RDs faults, I actually think the introduction of ECM made planes far more interesting. In ALB, you never deployed anything but SEAD until you were 110% sure all AA in an area was gone. Nowadays, you can get away with deploying planes to support an advance. I've actually had some success running airborne now, although it does make it a lot more risky to deploy infantry. Especially as people who see airborne in the lobby are prone to rushing anti-helo AA. I think the game would be better off if you couldn't see the deck type (nation is OK, just not specialization) of the opposing team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom