Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warframe

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
zbC8BWp.png

This is great.
>they have a team dedicated to Conclave
>meanwhile there's no one to adjust some numbers in weapon stats in the game 99% of players play
>and spent time developing fucking handegg
A classic demonstration of why as a dev you should just automatically put all the PvP people in your game that's not all PvP on ignore on the forums and everywhere else, and think of them as something akin to a cancer your game has. Give them nothing, put the effort on things real people care about.

Best change they did to conclave was introducing mechanics segregation so PvP bullshit can't influence rest of the game's balance. Even if putting PvPers on the back of the bus isn't quite as good as throwing them off and under the bus entirely.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Still seems to me that most frames without a way to recover life get boned pretty hard by things like toxin or bleed damage
Playing Saryn solo was a yuge difference before and after I got regen mold. Thankfully the medi-ray mod for sentinels is helping a lot these days, a bit of an "out of combat" regenerative health. At least you can start the next combat with full health instead of hoping to grab someone's red balls.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I guess it's a good thing I never ground out those manics to get Ash, since he's being nerfed into the ground now and I'd have been pretty butthurt over it.

What other frames are decent for solo play besides Rhino? As has been mentioned, it seems like most frames do fuck all damage with their abilities vs energy cost, and have little in the way of survivability outside of a group. Rhino at least grants immunity to the huge variety of status effects that seem to be essentially instant death beyond a certain level.

If you haven't found a good alternative yet, you can try Loki or the slightly better Loki Prime. T4 Survival void for hours depending on whether you're bored or not without getting hit.

I last played back in U13 up till U14 (kubrows + archwing IIRC), so I don't know if he's still relevant. Breezed through endgame content with a red crit 4-forma Amprex which was better than Boltor Prime back then.

Vaarna_Aarne

Anyway, the basics you should start with when it comes to solo play is to get Rage and Life Strike, followed by Quick Thinking. Obviously, you have Flow or Primed Flow already. This essentially gets you started on the fact the tanking abilities that matter are ones that outright ignore damage, whether through direct unbreakable face-tanking like Wukong or Valkyr, or through indirect means like crowd control like spamming Radial Blind with Excalibur or World On Fire with Ember. Fun fact in this regard is that the real benefits of Rhino are in the latter category in solo play, since its most potent abilities are the squad-wide deeps booster Roar and Stomp which with proper mods becomes ZA WARUDO. Rhino's true power is causing massive long stuns in a vast area (Power Range modding causes the greatest high), not having a buffer shield.

The base survivability that comes from Rage + Life Strike + Quick Thinking + Flow is pretty uniform and has mild variety per frame depending on health, shields, and armor. The gist of this is that unranked Life Strike allows you to self-heal rapidly with modest energy cost (though it obviously favours melee fanatics like me), while Rage converts damage to additional free energy to save up on pies and being caught with your pants down, and Quick Thinking gives you a strong buffer against death.

On the subject of Inaros, it's a fun and very good frame, and can take a hell of a beating, but it has its own achilles' heels too. While Inaros has enormous armor and health, meaning it can facetank through its durability alone to an extent that is unmatched, it is also the only frame that has no shields at all, which makes it also the only frame vulnerable to chip damage.

If you haven't found a good alternative yet, you can try Loki or the slightly better Loki Prime. T4 Survival void for hours depending on whether you're bored or not without getting hit.

I last played back in U13 up till U14 (kubrows + archwing IIRC), so I don't know if he's still relevant. Breezed through endgame content with a red crit 4-forma Amprex which was better than Boltor Prime back then.
Well, primary change since then is that T4 Survival is no longer the height of endgame (in fact, the old Void system is completely gone), the real test for solo play ability is being able to handle Sorties by yourself. In this regard, Loki's not quite in a position to just and try permastealthing all the way through, particularly if you get something like a Sortie boss mission since Sortie version of Ruk for example hits like a mack truck and needs more bullets to kill than were fired in Stalingrad and IIRC bosses are unaffected by invisibility. Alternatively you get Sortie Kela De Thaym, which also needs a small country's military budget to kill, but also involves dealing with shotgun mines and homing missiles to the face and orbital bombardment when you need to be able to stand still and shoot at a trigger target.

Then again, Sortie bosses are fully a team effort, since if you aren't packing full Corrosive Projection your damage is going to be reduced to such a degree that soloing is not recommended if it's not Krel or you don't get sexually aroused by enormous hp bloat.

Come to think of it, did enemies have the ability to shoot at the player through sound detection back then?

Emmanuel2

Savant
Loki's not quite in a position to just and try permastealthing all the way through

I didn't mean for him to just permastealth, but to also make full use of his Radial Disarm which is IMHO one of the best abilities in the game at the time.

Come to think of it, did enemies have the ability to shoot at the player through sound detection back then?

IIRC, they did. I could still vaguely recall bombardiers one-hitting me with their AoEs which homed in on a sound detect and Heavy Gunner shots taking 2/3 of my health at around 140+ minutes even when I was fully stealthed. Bosses can't see through your Invisibility except for non-humanoids.

The new content especially the Sorties going from the way you put it (thanks btw) seem really fun. Maybe I should start playing again since it looked like there is much more content now.

Vaarna_Aarne

Radial Disarm is amazing still, but IMO gets most mileage in a squad rather than solo.

Anyway, Sorties only have a bit of an annoyance in that sometimes the daily triplet is just too much of a hassle to do, but them's the apples for that day.

(Also I'm p sure that nowadays all bosses ignore invisibility, a lot of the old placeholder bosses like old Kela have been replaced with real bosses too, which is quite nice, I need to check the new Raptor one of these days; IIRC Ambulas, Sergeant, and Phorid are the last placeholder bosses nowadays; Nef Anyo alongside his nephew Derf Anyo is getting a boss revamp next anyway, so Sergeant's days are numbered)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The buffer shield on rhino is a nice convenience, but I agree it's not really needed. Shields handle normal damage just fine if you're careful. The issue is status effects. Even if you keep shields up the entire time, toxin or slash procs will whittle your hp away on a long solo mission, and your floating healbot is going to kick the bucket (twice) sooner or later. Not to mention all the other kinds of status effects like the CC type ones or being on fire being essentially some kind of quad damage crit that prevents shield regen for 10 seconds. I'm aware of the map wide CC/insta kill meta at higher levels, but I'm not there yet and don't really want to spend hours watching other people play missions for me to get there faster. The gunplay at low levels is generally satisfying to me, as long as I'm not getting knocked down and dragged around every 3 seconds or dying because the whole floor is covered is toxic gas or peons with hitscan slash weapons have been whittling away at me for 20 minutes. So for now I need to rely on abilities to mitigate that stuff because I can't even come close to affording max rank on all my mods with a bunch of forma'd melee weapons. I'm trying to level an atterax right now and it's 18% lifesteal for my burden doggo is barely adequate to keep it alive under fire. I doubt the 2% or whatever I could get from lifesteal would get me very far before running out of energy compared to say, devour. Might be enough to handle the trickle of slash damage on grineer missions.

I guess I could spend more time doing orokin missions; despite being arguably the upper tier faction, they have basically no mechanics at all that are actually dangerous. Occasional ancients and that's it. Everything else is just a straight up dps machine. And not even very good ones because they don't hitscan. I also actually really enjoy finding and running the secret cache rooms. Even if the rewards are fairly shit compared to the effort invested. I feel like I would have had a blast running that shit back when it was first released, before bullet jumping made most of the parkour trivial.

In other news, I spent basically a whole day fucking around with the archwing, eventually figuring out that it's the 'float upward' key I needed to keep bound to use the dash that is mandatory for flying the damned things. Then managing to find a couple of real mods to increase damage after running over a dozen missions with a useless pea shooter that can only handle level 3-8 enemies. Then put those mods to use and killed the golem, while also farming another damage mod. So now my archwing is in good shape, not that there seems to be any purpose to that, since archwing missions just drop shit for archwing missions. Still, felt satisfying to go through that power curve so quickly and kill off a boss that I could previously only tickle. Oh yeah, and the visuals on the default gun are insanely misleading; I'd thought the game was just being laggy/shit with the way the shots worked until I read on the wiki it's actually a hitscan weapon and the projectiles are meaningless. WTF.

Next project is going to be unlocking the sedna junction and the large amount of farming that entails. Woo.

Gerrard

Arcane
It is good to be back in the one proper color scheme, the skin did not disappoint.

VEeSzBF.jpg

Alternatively, it might be a full set of Daedric armor.

Vaarna_Aarne

Best way to deal with the proc attrition is to use Life Strike (remember, never rank it at all). The genuinely devastating proc IMO is Magnetic, since that knocks out your powers and Energy reserves, which puts you in a serious moment of vulnerability. The healing potential from Life Strike is MASSIVE, once you combine it with proper melee weapons. One strike with a Nikana Prime or Galatine for example is often all it takes for a full heal, and because melee is fast as hell you heal constantly and reflexively when you know when to turn on Life Strike and you can easily outheal your way out of any tough spot that's not instant death level damage. But the way I see it, it means you should cut your way through until you get a breather so you can readjust and continue fighting as normal.

Regarding Archwing, the new healwing is actually not a healwing at all, it's again something that has its true power in that it packs ZA WARUDO toggle. Just imagine doing Archwing when you have a supremely maintainable toggle that slows down all enemy movement and attacking to effectively stationary levels. And if that wasn't enough, the healwing has good all-rounder specs in terms of speed, shields, health, and armor, and packs massive tanking capability (the primary heal it has is a damage converter sphere that blocks enemy fire and converts their damage potential to heals) and berserker mode.

EDIT: The Kogan Ryu skin for Nikanas is also teh secks. Perfect alternative to Nikana Prime if you want a more compact and brutal look with a classic katana handle.

HURT ME MORE SNAKE I REMEMBER THAT PUNCH skin is also excellent.

EDIT2: Notice something? The Kogan skin has NORMAL FEET. It had become kind of standard that new frames and skins have Pistorius feet, at least to me... Hurrays!

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
That skin... looks surprisingly awsome. If they continue to roll out one of those for every old frame and even slap that sixpack on mah Valkyr... uuuh better not to think about that...
:shredder:

Notice something? The Kogan skin has NORMAL FEET. It had become kind of standard that new frames and skins have Pistorius feet, at least to me... Hurrays!
I approve of that too. Remember that Trinners potato witch skin? She looks like a stickfigure.
Maybe they plan ahead for some future quest going more into the "what exactly IS (inside) the frame". Peeling one of those guys from Halflife 2 out of it would not be the best idea...

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, some people might appreciate the Electricity/StatProc combo mods (or was it just Jolt? It's been a while since I finished that set) that you can't acquire otherwise.

Freddie

Savant
26 million registered losers.
:bro:
I tried this shit and it's pretty obvious trap for autistic. Not that I'm some sort of big humanist, but way this game is designed and how developing is run and priorisised is just fucking low.

Edit: and as I tried it I'm one of those losers. Oh the choices we make...

Wild Slop

Arcane
Word is Frost and Ember are being unvaulted. Pretty sure it's going temporary ... and maybe, sadly, only for $? I covetith them but not that much.

Endemic

Arcane
yes, last christmas de gave us their frost but the very next month we sold it away.

Fair enough. I kept one and traded an extra set or two. I only spend platinum for inventory slots so I don't use much to begin with.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Festive ship decor for 1 credit at market.

Harder to find for the Holiday fun skins is
"Ringers" - 1 cred
"Spearmint Scythe" - 1 cred

some ones for plat too but to hell with those

no colors? bah!

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
It's the last Baro before Christmas, so prepare for salt and DDoS. I wouldn't be surprised if he was selling prime/prisma operator cosmetics, they've really been pushing that wankery. Get a prisma earring for your obnoxious MY FRAME IS STRONG for just 450 ducks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom