Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War Thunder : WoP - simmers wet dream

Thane Solus

Arcane
u forgot to add that horrible UI font, color and size, which fucking destroys the game.

war-thunder-gameplay-review-screenshots-16.jpg

yeah.... they cannot in to hud, ui ...

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Personally, I like that rather minimalistic UI.
+ it doesn't bother me that much in sims/realistic battles.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Personally, I like that rather minimalistic UI.
+ it doesn't bother me that much in sims/realistic battles.

Yeah minimalistic its great, but the whole interface from Texts(huds) to vehicle in garage, its fucking horrible. Even the choice of fonts, colors, glow, etc. That put me off so much when i played the first time that i quited the game, even tho the tanks and the environments looked awesome. So if you cannot into basic UI and HuD, wtf should i expect from you... Its not like they released yesterday.

good example, well it could look better with more pale colors:

WorldOfWarships_ShootingAircraft.jpg

want to know more? you press ALT and find out. Clean and dosnt fuck up everything. Yes, WG even with their shitty attitude they do decent UI and HUDS. Compared to this crap:

war-thunder-gameplay-review-screenshots-16.jpg

Of course War Thunder has better gameplay, but after so many years, ffs cant develop a better UI. WTF mate...

SmartCheetah

Arcane
They are Russians. Russia can't into pretty things :D

EDIT:

Finally. Hawker Hunter.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Yep, update 1.53 is out!
War Thunder proudly presents

Update 1.53 'Firestorm'

At last, War Thunder Update 1.53 'Firestorm' has hit the game and we are pleased to give our fans all the exciting changes and additions that we have been showing you in our preceding devblogs. Now let us give you a flavour of some of the main features in this major Update.

Be sure to check out the complete Update Information on our website!

The name 'Firestorm' for Update 1.53 comes from the introduction of a deadly set of new multiple rocket launcher systems: namely, the American M26 Pershing tank with a mounted T99 system, the German Panzerwerfer 42 with its bloodcurdling “Nebelwerfer” and also the Soviet BM-24-8 with the famous Katyusha rocket system. These vehicles provide a formidable barrage of high-explosive rockets and continue to expand the armoured vehicle design variation in the game.

We have also begun to implement an improved version of our core engine, known as Dagor Engine 4.0, which now has had physically based rendering incorporated. War Thunder has always prided itself on its unrivaled attention to detail, even going as far as to correctly interpret the way light interacts with objects within its environment, including the diffusion and reflection of light on shiny and opaque surfaces and materials, such as wood, steel, rubber and glass. In short, it means that War Thunder will look even more realistic than ever before.

Another part of the improved engine is the integration of NVIDIA GameWorks technologies. NVIDIA PhysX Destruction aids in War Thunder’s quest for increased realism by enabling the introduction of larger destructible objects to the game: wall fragments, ruins and entire buildings will all react to in-game ballistic physics. Players will now have the ability to destroy an enemy’s cover or create new firing positions, changing the dynamics of battles both from the air and on the ground. These new dynamics of structural damage will be initially incorporated into three of our more structure heavy maps: “Berlin”, “Stalingrad” and “Advance to the Rhine” on release.

The inclusion of NVIDIA WaveWorks technology generates incredibly realistic waves and foam for oceans, seas, rivers and lakes, which will also factor in wind direction and strength. All of our maps in the game will benefit from this addition.

Fans anticipating British ground forces will rejoice, as an initial set of four exclusive new vehicles become available: the A13 Mk II “Cruiser” tank, the Sherman Firefly with its powerful cannon, the M10 Achilles self propelled gun and the A43 Black Prince “Churchill” Infantry tank. The main British Ground Force line-up will appear in War Thunder by the end of 2015.

Available now are five packs in the Gaijin.net Store giving early adopters the possibility to join in on the British Ground Forces immediately. Click on the respective picture for a detailed view of the Royal Guard Advanced Pack, the A13 Mk.II, 17 pdr. M10 65th. Anti-Tank Regt, Sherman IC 2nd “Warsaw” Armoured Divisionand A43 Black Prince.

In total, there are over 20 new vehicles in Update 1.53 'Firestorm', including the amphibious Soviet PT-76 tank, the Cold War-era Jagdpanzer 4-5 “Kanonenjagdpanzer” and, eagerly awaited by our fans, the top-tier British jet fighter - the Hawker Hunter.

Two new ground combat locations have also been added, a winter map of the Stalingrad tractor plant district, which has been painstakingly reproduced based on real photographs taken during the bloody battles for the city and Advance to Rhine, based on late-war Cologne with its towering cathedral and maze-like streets that will provide the optimum challenge for urban warfare.

There are many more improvements and features in Update 1.53 'Firestorm', of course. To see a detailed list, please feel free to visit the War Thunder Changelog and Developer's Blog and, of course, try out the new Update in-game right now! Have fun!

See you on the battlefield, in Update 1.53 'Firestorm'!
The War Thunder Team

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
There is going to be a lot of bitching about this patch as it fundamentally changes aiming - no zoom while aiming. A LOT of bitching.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
There is going to be a lot of bitching about this patch as it fundamentally changes aiming - no zoom while aiming. A LOT of bitching.
Huh, that sounds interesting. How it works? You just can't zoom in closer, just the default view and you are supposed to aim and hit tanks with it? Did they increase it somehow or is it impossible to hit tanks which are further away in a specific part, just aim in their general direction and shit?

I mean, not that it would be necessarly a bad thing, but just need more info on how it works. Hitting precise parts of a tank is a big deal in War Thunder as there is no HP as such.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Huh, that sounds interesting. How it works? You just can't zoom in closer, just the default view and you are supposed to aim and hit tanks with it? Did they increase it somehow or is it impossible to hit tanks which are further away in a specific part, just aim in their general direction and shit?
In short when you enter the game you are suggested to change to another control scheme. I did so and in a preview of one of the new British tanks I pressed RMB while aiming. Instead of the zoom the turret started turning towards one of the enemy vehicles (its exact central). So okay this is useless I thought and change the RMB to zoom in the settings. I was then presented to the most pathetic zoom I ever seen, maybe x0.1 more then your default one. I googled the issue thinking that maybe I set something wrong but no. As you can imagine targeting specific parts of a tank will be now harder at longer ranges... or all ranges but point blank.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/275651-where-is-the-zoom/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/3rpoi9/i_really_miss_tank_zoom/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/3rnqpy/sooono_more_zoom_sight_in_tanks/

If what some people say is to believed we will get historical accurate magnification in the near future. Still, this is quite a change.

Last edited:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Actually, it's not that bad from what I've seen. No more Ultra-low-quality guys sniping people from 2-3km distances, because they won't be able to aim properly at that kind of distance.
Plus, afaik - german tanks had way better optics compared to Russian counterparts so it might actually make them better in some situations(Provided that Gaijin will implement those historical optics in future - and it won't end up as Bomber cockpits)

I noticed pretty big fps drops in GF. Air battles seems to be mostly okay'ish, altough - lighting on planes are looking little...weird.

EDIT:

There is a lovely bug.

xJHXiAI.jpg

For some reason, they kept it and when you crash in a bomber after the game starts, you instantly get around 1000-1500points. Earlier today people were able to grind 40k RP per game lol.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Update 1.55 is out. That means, among other things, that British tanks are finally available, mates!
british_soldiersmdotc.jpg

Not all of them, though, only about eight since the rest are in closed beta for now.

Erzherzog

Magister
Just downloaded this a week ago since I've always found British WW2 era tank cool. I liked Red Orchestra 1 tank combat better but since that game is dead and RO2 tank combat is absolutely trash...this game seems fun enough at least. Annoying with the trolls insisting on ramming my tank when I'm in the middle of a duel, though occasionally I can get revenge...

Fucker kept ramming then backing up and repeating, when the street was clear he tried to maneuver between the buildings so I rammed him right back, until he was stuck on the wall permanently. Excellent physics. :retarded:

Only complaint is when I go a match and I die exclusively from aircraft and artillery, I definitely understand having artillery but seeing it spammed is concerning. Always liked how in Red Orchestra you had to specifically pick a class that had it. Would be nice if they had a better method of restricting it rather than everyone getting to spam it.

Anyone on the US servers?

Zerginfestor

Learned
Yeah, I'm from the US Servers, though I made the poor choice of choosing MURICA Tanks. Good lord, you have a good chance of just dying 3 minutes into the game as soon as you pop in and roll about. Shermans are so goddamn vulnerable, and your shots are mostly plinking against everything, you might as well consider US Tanks Hard mode until you hit...Tier 4?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Play russian tonks if you want EZ mode. Game is semi-realistic in that matter, as it can't simulate dumb and unprofessional russian crew, lack of radios, crampy enviroments and stuff not working on random. Therefore you have tanks with pretty good slopes and heavy cannons.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Play russian tonks if you want EZ mode. Game is semi-realistic in that matter, as it can't simulate dumb and unprofessional russian crew, lack of radios, crampy enviroments and stuff not working on random. Therefore you have tanks with pretty good slopes and heavy cannons.

Yeah, I've seen most of my defeats have always been Russian Tanks that have been blessed in the great steel "Stalinium". Not only that, but their slopes seem to bounce some ridiculous shots from time to time.

Erzherzog

Magister
In my short time playing I've seen people argue for and against the perceived existence of Gaijin's pro-Russia bias, but between the RNG of sloped armor and the weirdness of Soviet tanks being much more fire resistant I'd have to say it exists.

Still though, enjoying Brit tanks for the most part though the lack of any he charge in my shells is aggravating.

Can't help but feel at times that this game is a tech demo as far as ground forces are concerned. A WW2 game should start with infantry and branch out with content from there, but it seems you can get a decent WW2 infantry game, or a decent WW2 vehicle game, for some odd reason I can't think of a decent combined arms WW2 game in ages. Which is nuts, WW2 was absolutely defined by combined arms.

i've seen a wooden russian bomber eat 3000 (THREE FUCKING THOUSANDS) incendiary bullets like candies and it didn't even got diabetes.
there's nothing to argue about.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Update 1.57 is out.

Update 1.57 "Battle March" released!

War Thunder proudly presents

Update 1.57 "Вattle March"

We are pleased to present update 1.57 “Battle March” - brand new vehicles, two new locations and many other game improvements.

Read the full list of changes in the changelog.

With the relentless “Battle March” towards the fields of conflict, you can expect a new branch of German open-topped SPGs: Pz.Jg. I, Pz.Sfl.IVa Dicker Max, Nashorn in addition to the existing Marders.

The greatest strength of these vehicles is their extremely powerful cannons!

Pz.Jg. I Nashorn Pz.Sfl.IVa Dicker Max
Branches of other nations will receive intereaging machines as well. The КV-1S heavy tank and the Т-44-100 medium tank will make fans of the Soviet armoured vehicles happy, while the title of “one of the most desired tanks” now rightfully belongs to the Chieftain Mk.3!

КV-1S Chieftain Mk.3 Т-44-100
Pilots! Meet the new aircraft that will soon be gracing the skies of War Thunder: P-61 U.S. heavy fighters, the FAW20 Sea Venom British jet fighter and the famous German ”Pfeil” Do 335 that will be available in three modifications. Additionally the Sunderland Mk.IIIa (Great Britain) and the MBR-2 (USSR) flying boats will also be joining the battle..

P-61 Do 335 МBR-2
“Frozen Pass” and “Volokolamsk” - two new winter locations. Frozen Pass features picturesque Alpine landscape scenery while battles on the plain of “Volokolamsk” will be held amongst the rural countryside of Russia, with recreated fortifications created by the famous General Panfilovs’ 4th company

“Volokolamsk” “Frozen Pass”
An updated interface, new sounds and the “last man standing” feature. More accurate damage calculation and updated flight models for specific vehicles, plus dynamic light sources for explosion effects, shell hits, rocket launching and vehicle flame damage effects.

This and much more is waiting for you our fans in the “Battle March” update!

Dat Chieftain Mk.3. I'm crying tea right now.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I like the change that you can still fight with only 1 crew member left, as there were simply too many 1shot kills in ground forces.
Other than that, they should really look at Obsidian and my.com with their promotions, free premiums and other stuff. It gets a lot of attention to their game and brings people back.

Chieftain Mk.3 looks super sexy. I also love the addition of another Venom variant. Who knows, maybe some day they will introduce sea vixen as well? (Too bad it wasn't armed with any cannons or MG's, so rockets only ;C)
I love De Havilland machines. Don't judge me.

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Is anyone still playing?my name in game is panzerclein21,add me if you want to play some squad battles

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom