Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper clone

Astral Rag

Arcane
As far as I can tell this is still highly unoptimized and buggy. Maybe they'll manage to fix it eventually, who knows.

Last edited:

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Like i said, its fun if you like DK you will enjoy this.
However its broken with a ton of bugs and a lot of minor problems that make you think its still in alpha.
Is it worth buying? Yes if you like DK, no due to the bugs. Ofc if you can't wait to play it then go ahead. But i would still recommend that you wait until the worst problems are fixed.

zeitgeist

Magister
I just tried this and went through the first 4-5 missions. What can I say, it's DK2, but not quite. I mean this as opposed to being a not-quite-DK3, which would require a bunch of new mechanics and gameplay additions. So far it has very similar creature and room types and the campaign is laid out almost exactly the same as in DK2.

Although it's supposed to be very buggy I haven't encountered anything gamebreaking yet, except one massive slowdown (probably caused by that memory leak or AI pathing issues or something that people have already mentioned).

What disappoints me the most is the lack of attention to detail not in terms of "finishing touches" (the very first thing I tried is picking up gold and making it rain, which doesn't work as it does in DK2 and neither does creature dropping, in terms of animations at least, the tooltips are unfinished, so is possession, and it's generally obvious the game shouldn't have been released yet, however those are the issues one could reasonably expect to get fixed), but basic things that I fear will never be fixed because the developers have either intended it that way or just consider it good enough. For example the creature animations aren't nearly as charming and competently done as in DK2 and they seem to lack a lot of the personality they had in DK2. This is something you either get or don't get. Also, most of the creature designs are more Warcraft-style than D&D-style, which I guess is just an aesthetic preference.

The map itself is really dark compared to DK2, the walls seem unnaturally straight compared to DK'2 wonky angles on each tile, and the mission maps have had a lot of open and semi-open spaces so far (which make it impossible to dig out neatly shaped rooms although the "replacement earth" construct helps a bit later on).

Despite everything this will probably be the first decent DK-like game in recent history when/if: it gets finished, it gets at least one expansion, and it gets some kind of a GOTY-like "this is now fully finished, all the bugs are gone, everything is as polished as possible, all the features are in, and you get the game and the expansion(s) in one pack" edition. Do note that I have no idea what the developers are actually planning for the game or if the base game itself will even get finished, since I haven't been following the Kickstarter at all*, but this is what the game needs to be considered a success, and if it ever does, I would seriously recommend it.

One nasty side effect of officially releasing the game in this state is that it will hinder the chances of a proper multiplayer community developing - it will most likely fizzle out and when/if the game is finally "done" there will be no one left.

* - I just looked the Kickstarter forum up and it has so few posts that it seems even the backers have forgotten about the game existing which doesn't exactly bode well

Catfish

Learned
I just tried this and went through the first 4-5 missions. What can I say, it's DK2, but not quite. I mean this as opposed to being a not-quite-DK3, which would require a bunch of new mechanics and gameplay additions. So far it has very similar creature and room types and the campaign is laid out almost exactly the same as in DK2.

Although it's supposed to be very buggy I haven't encountered anything gamebreaking yet, except one massive slowdown (probably caused by that memory leak or AI pathing issues or something that people have already mentioned).

What disappoints me the most is the lack of attention to detail not in terms of "finishing touches" (the very first thing I tried is picking up gold and making it rain, which doesn't work as it does in DK2 and neither does creature dropping, in terms of animations at least, the tooltips are unfinished, so is possession, and it's generally obvious the game shouldn't have been released yet, however those are the issues one could reasonably expect to get fixed), but basic things that I fear will never be fixed because the developers have either intended it that way or just consider it good enough. For example the creature animations aren't nearly as charming and competently done as in DK2 and they seem to lack a lot of the personality they had in DK2. This is something you either get or don't get. Also, most of the creature designs are more Warcraft-style than D&D-style, which I guess is just an aesthetic preference.

The map itself is really dark compared to DK2, the walls seem unnaturally straight compared to DK'2 wonky angles on each tile, and the mission maps have had a lot of open and semi-open spaces so far (which make it impossible to dig out neatly shaped rooms although the "replacement earth" construct helps a bit later on).

Despite everything this will probably be the first decent DK-like game in recent history when/if: it gets finished, it gets at least one expansion, and it gets some kind of a GOTY-like "this is now fully finished, all the bugs are gone, everything is as polished as possible, all the features are in, and you get the game and the expansion(s) in one pack" edition. Do note that I have no idea what the developers are actually planning for the game or if the base game itself will even get finished, since I haven't been following the Kickstarter at all*, but this is what the game needs to be considered a success, and if it ever does, I would seriously recommend it.

One nasty side effect of officially releasing the game in this state is that it will hinder the chances of a proper multiplayer community developing - it will most likely fizzle out and when/if the game is finally "done" there will be no one left.

* - I just looked the Kickstarter forum up and it has so few posts that it seems even the backers have forgotten about the game existing which doesn't exactly bode well

Soo... Better off playing deeper dungeons again? Or still worth a single playthrough?

zeitgeist

Magister
Soo... Better off playing deeper dungeons again? Or still worth a single playthrough?
I stopped playing at about 2/3 through because I couldn't load my save anymore (the game just started lagging out on loading every time) so I have no idea what the last few missions are like. I'd recommend that everyone just forgets about the game existing for at least a short while because right now you'll probably just be disappointed by the immense not-fully-realized potential. The patches do seem to be coming at a steady pace (which is to be expected since they released it in such an unfinished state, so the development is just following its regular course), but there's no guarantee that the wildly optimistic scenario from my previous post will ever happen.

Catfish

Learned
I stopped playing at about 2/3 through because I couldn't load my save anymore (the game just started lagging out on loading every time) so I have no idea what the last few missions are like. I'd recommend that everyone just forgets about the game existing for at least a short while because right now you'll probably just be disappointed by the immense not-fully-realized potential. The patches do seem to be coming at a steady pace (which is to be expected since they released it in such an unfinished state, so the development is just following its regular course), but there's no guarantee that the wildly optimistic scenario from my previous post will ever happen.

I figured as much. A shame they had to squander so much good will with a bumpy release, I'd much enjoy seeing this as the first of a new studio. Thanks for the opinion

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
SO how is this game NOW.

Can we get some fucking feedback here?

Is it buyable? Is it GOOD?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
tumblr_static_tumbleweed_rolling_2.jpg

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
More important: has this been patched yet? Because it was in a clunky and just really unfinished state just after exiting the Early Acess.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
well i have only asked that question 3 times in a years time but nobody appears to be playing the game

Perkel

Arcane
would want to play but i am full for the moment (df, ds3, soon dragonpenis, kerbal)

edit: does it have actually campaign ? Last time i remember it was just maps to play with AI or other people. While it is fun my main fun from DK was campaign and good level design that came with it (challenges)

zeitgeist

Magister
It does have a campaign, with various objectives on each level similar to DK2. I haven't played it since writing the first impressions posts in this thread though. It has apparently received a significant amount of patches as well as a mini-expansion since.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Played this game a while back, was cool, but also lacked a lot of polish. Final(?) level was completely unplayable due to lag.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also played it, and I would recommend it.
The game is the closest thing out there to the DK1/2 experience. It even adds some things on its own.

It is certainly not without problems, though. But really, play it. It's fun.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be honest, it's been a while... ;)
But I do remember that the "taking control" feature (aka 1st person mode) for example is much more powerful and there is at least one mission solely based on it.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I have played HoG a bit. The maps are very big and open and much more interesting than the base campaign maps so far, though there's only four of them. The game itself is also better than what it was a few months back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom