Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper clone

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Funnily enough, people are whining about dis game being too similar to DK2, while the entire kickstarter campaign PROMISED a game just like DK2 with some new stuff and mostly old revised. So far so good, they've made good on that promise, bugs and what not, aside.

People wanted an updated HD DK2 spiritual successor with some new shit thrown in for good measure, and that's what they've gotten.. Problem? ;)

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks like they're moving threads about technical issues to a hidden forum, nice.

You mean the "Bug reports" forum, which is just under the general forum, AND visible to everybody else?

Yeah.. "hidden" indeed.

1lyum6.png

2s6uay.png

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Go to their official forums, they still have everything.
Anyway, I've backed this and played the beta extensively. It's a shame the game was so rushed but I have fun with it and that's all that matters, despite the bugs. Impressions so far:

— Rich Ridings does a superb job, I'd say he's better here than he ever was in DK. Really good VA overall.
— Gameplay is pretty cool overall, lots of new twists and changes that don't make it feel like a regression. Constructs are great.
— Unit voices and noises are good. Most of these were not in the beta and it's good to finally hear them. Makes combat hectic and fun.
— Most rooms are really beautiful (Vault, Prison, Alchemy Lab, Crypt in particular).
— World map is great.
— Some really fun spells, rituals and potions, like Blood Money for example.
— Terrain is much, much better than before. It still lacks the twisted aesthetic of DK2 but it's good enough. They gotta do something about the ceiling though.
— I like the different themes.
— Monsters are not stunned when you drop them, hurray!
— This is definitely Dungeon Keeper.

— Map design isn't particularly outstanding. The Heart Attack mission in particular I ended up cheesing like a motherfucker. Clearly not on the level of DK2 that had the best levels in the series imo (with Deeper Dungeons).
— Only 13 campaign levels is very short.
— Minion mood seems to have zero impact. I've had angry minions and nobody left my dungeon.
— UI gets cluttered very fast. Some hard-to-click buttons. Placeholder icons (artifacts in particular).
— Possession is clearly not finished and I never managed to actually attack while possessing a minion.
— Minion AI is freaking stupid sometimes, I swear.
— Lots, lots and lots of bugs, but they've been patching the game like crazy so that's great to see.
— Optimization sucks balls. It's better than in the beta but there is still a lot to do.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I guess "release" is the new term for "beta" these days, as it is riddled with bugs and placeholders. Will probably be a nice experience after a few months of patching.

Also, as much as I loved DK2, why the hell make an exact copy of it?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, I'm definetely enjoying myself but would suggest everyone wait a few patches.

I prefer too much iteration to too little, most definetely, and with the limits on their budget, I think it was wise to not adventure too far on the design side of things.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I liked neu-XCOM, but not because it felt like playing XCOM really. Which is why I'm glad WftO went the way it did.

Mortmal

Arcane
Niggers, please.

Once the performance issues, bugs and UI stuff gets fixed, this game wil easily be a 9 / 10.

So just calm down.

It plays like DK2, and better.

Its worth mentioning theres like 13 hours of functionnal content till it gets completely unplayable, so much wait and 25$ for so little. I ve not tried the game during early access eagerly waiting for the release , calling that release is plain dishonest theres so many complaints they move them partially in the bug sub forum when they can , 342 thread in main forum 132 thread in bug forum.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Yeah, I'm definetely enjoying myself but would suggest everyone wait a few patches.

I prefer too much iteration to too little, most definetely, and with the limits on their budget, I think it was wise to not adventure too far on the design side of things.

Kind of naively expected them to improve upon it somewhat, taking the best from both DK1 and DK2, thowing in a couple of their own ideas... but you are probably right.
I just thought that people wanting the exact same thing can just grab the originals from GOG...

Diablo169

Arcane
It's a real shame, the game itself looks to have a lot of potential. But the bad press isn't going to be doing their revenue stream any favors. I was a backer so it can sit in my steam library till they patch the hell out of it.

Torrasque01

Augur
Unlike Worlds of Magic this is getting much, much better steam user reviews even tho they released in a similar state. Couple that with the video from TB they'll be fine. They are good at PR and damage control.

Diablo169

Arcane
Unlike Worlds of Magic this is getting much, much better steam user reviews even tho they released in a similar state. Couple that with the video from TB they'll be fine. They are good at PR and damage control.

I think a good portion of that stems from the fact that even with all the bugs this is the most Dungeon Keeper 2 like experience we've had for what 16 ish years? Only other honorable mention in the interim was Evil Genius which was fantastic but also flawed.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's a real shame, the game itself looks to have a lot of potential. But the bad press isn't going to be doing their revenue stream any favors. I was a backer so it can sit in my steam library till they patch the hell out of it.

You can wait for a while before seeing improvements , i can accept some more delay i am backer too, but why suddendly getting it out of early access status and waste my time except for getting more money. Video games are the only business where its allowed to do this, release an unfinished product and get away with it, other small business have to contact their banker and ask for a loan . Dont you dare sending a defective piece of equipment, lawsuit incoming and big penalties if you are late to deliver to boot . Not only they get away with it but there's people whiteknighting them....
Theres so much unfinished shit on steam,and zero quality control, i am sad to have to put this on the rubbish pile for now, until hey can salvage something from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom