Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Want to ridicule Polygon, RPS, Kotaku et al. without giving them clicks? Try this

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Special thanks to the whiny SJW gaming "journalist" whose antics brought this tool to my attention.

http://archive.today/

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I used to use the Tor network to communicate with my spai "network" (hue) in EVE Online.

I've noticed quite a few Codexers consistently using this archive tool since I posted, or maybe some of them already had been. It works great, and it pisses off gaming "journalists" at the same time. What could be better?

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
The problem is that if you click on any link on the archived site then it brings you to the original site.

Redlands

Arcane
Or, you now, just not visit them. Since they don't have anything of worth to say.

I'd excuse myself from the Codex also if I weren't here to entertain myself. That's a dangerous line of thinking, pawdnuh.

Granted, things might be different for you, since you're the Anti-Feminazi in Chief here, but for us common people we don't really need to. Why go to RPS to get pissed off by whatever idiotic diarrhoea John Walker has to disgorged recently on adventure games (or anything else) when Infinitron'll just copypasta it over here for our convenience? :smug:

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Thinking you'
Seriously, who gives a shit?

Apparently, you?

Since you have to click on this thread, read it, quote a post and then make a post just to make that point
You're right! I kind of do. I think linking to these kind of referral sites is just annoying. You can't see where the link is going, it slows things down, bookmarking the original site becomes harder... It's a mess.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's not a "referral site." It's an archive site that stores snapshots of web pages. The hyperlinks et al. still function, but what you are seeing is NOT the actual web page. Archive.today displays no ads of its own, and you can provide your own URLs to be archived if they haven't already been archived. It's not slow for me, either, and I'm not sure why you'd want to bookmark popamole gaming "journalist" blogs at all. I have a browser plugin that physically screenshots articles with the option to manually crop, and it's what I've used in the past, but it requires more effort and is a lot more unwieldy to display since a static image is produced.

The entire point here is to deny traffic and ad views to gaming "journalists" while still being able to read and link to their articles and blogs, which is common here on the Codex, whether you agree with the practice or not.

You can see where the link is going: It's going to the archive site. If you can't tell what's been archived before visiting because the person who provided the link didn't say or it's not obvious from the context, then don't click it.

Linking directly to Kotaku, IGN et al. is bad; this is better. I'm not sure why this is of such monumental concern. Use it if you like, or don't use it, and feel free not to click on archive.today links when you see them.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Classic prank. Just as disgusting as I remember it.

What next, lemonparty?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
aw, c'mon. it's good to go back to the classics sometimes, especially when the whole world is going to shit.

I can't tell if that's a pun or actual sincerity.

Good show though, now I'm cautious of links yet again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom