Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VtMB is so wonky

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
After lurking for a while on this forum and Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines is often mentioned as a classic so I thought I'd give it a try. Right now I'm 8 hours in and have returned to downtown.

Jesus christ the bugs. I'd heard about this beforehand and am playing the GOG version with the unofficial patches but I'm still having a really buggy experience: unable to holster my weapon until I had completed a certain quest, quicksave silently failing, etc. I even had an extremely weird one where reloading a save was not clearing some aggressive NPCs and I had to restart the game.

I have to say that the few hour was absolutely captivating. The tutorial with Jack, discovering Santa Monica...that was all really cool. But the plot has technical problems too - NPCs sometimes refer to other people I haven't met as if I know them. I wish that werewolf historian was less cringey.

Does it stay this wonky throughout? Because there is something really good here, if this game could just keep things together.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I re-played it last year with all the patches, and didn't have any wonky issues. Seems fine in fact.

So to answer your question, the game shouldn't become any more or less wonky than you're experiencing right now - and in fact it should be far less wonky.

groundhog

Educated
I've recently completed the game for the first time, using GOG's version on Windows 7 and it was a surprisingly bug-free experience. The only problems I experienced was getting stuck on a door once and an occasional problem when using the taxi.

deama

Prophet
I played it several years ago, I don't remember there being any bugs, and I'm not even sure if I used the unofficial patch(s).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Oddly, I just loaded VtMB last night with the latest and greatest 10.0 patch. No problems at all so far, and this is on a pretty crappy computer. I made it to ... uh... everything up to the Janette/Therese story. About 3 hours in total. No problems at all/nothing out of the ordinary other than I can go into the smoke shop(!?). Don't know what patch introduced this, or what will happen there, but its nice to see something new. Even with the earlier patches, I never really ran into any major bugs, other than when I failed to start a new game after patching/played off an older save.

Some things, as a first time player, you should know - hitting H holsters the active weapon. Another thing that always gets me is when I get stuck in slow walk/can't run. You can open up the console with ~ and type 'run ' (without the quotes) to get back to normal.

Could you mention the NPC's that referenced people you haven't met yet? I know that Mercutio references a lot of characters that were present in the intro (Nines, Tung, the Prince, etc) pretty casually.

Gregz

Arcane
I re-played it last year with all the patches, and didn't have any wonky issues. Seems fine in fact.

So to answer your question, the game shouldn't become any more or less wonky than you're experiencing right now - and in fact it should be far less wonky.

This. OP you should try to repatch(wesp's), it shouldn't glitch like that.

Game can be clunky but I don't remember having a single one of the issues that OP mentioned in any of my playthroughs. And there were a lot of them.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some things, as a first time player, you should know - hitting H holsters the active weapon. Another thing that always gets me is when I get stuck in slow walk/can't run. You can open up the console with ~ and type 'run ' (without the quotes) to get back to normal.

Could you mention the NPC's that referenced people you haven't met yet? I know that Mercutio references a lot of characters that were present in the intro (Nines, Tung, the Prince, etc) pretty casually.

Mercurio is definately one. Bertram Tung is another (after you come back from the warehouse). Which I could remember who they mentioned - I think Mercutio at least mentions Nines who I didn't know at the time.

This. OP you should try to repatch(wesp's), it shouldn't glitch like that.

Maybe I should. I'm running on 9.7 which is the last thing GOG applied to their build. If I repatch with 10 do I have to restart?

God there are some bright spots in this game. Just got to the Last Round last night, haven't felt this interested in an RPG plot since I walked through the hole in the wall in the back of Benny's apartment in New Vegas.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus christ the bugs. I'd heard about this beforehand and am playing the GOG version with the unofficial patches but I'm still having a really buggy experience: unable to holster my weapon until I had completed a certain quest, quicksave silently failing, etc. I even had an extremely weird one where reloading a save was not clearing some aggressive NPCs and I had to restart the game.
Maybe you should get some help from some local IT to install the fan-patch correctly.

Wesp5

Arcane
Wesp5, help a brother out? GoG version uses your patch, right?

Yes, the GOG version includes Wesp5's Unofficial Patch 9.7.

Correct, I hope they update to 10.0 once that is final though. As for the wonkyness, it has been noted over the years, that the longer the sessions you play in one go the more random issues will turn up. The most famous is the Skyeline Haven bug where random models will replace the furniture and the time seems to be about 2 hours play when it's getting worse. Just save, quit the game, restart and reload and continue...

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
After lurking for a while on this forum and Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines is often mentioned as a classic so I thought I'd give it a try. Right now I'm 8 hours in and have returned to downtown.

I have to say that the few hour was absolutely captivating. The tutorial with Jack, discovering Santa Monica...that was all really cool. But the plot has technical problems too - NPCs sometimes refer to other people I haven't met as if I know them. I wish that werewolf historian was less cringey.

Does it stay this wonky throughout? Because there is something really good here, if this game could just keep things together.
Par for the course as malkavian. Just roll with it and avoid stop signs.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

Mercurio is definately one. Bertram Tung is another (after you come back from the warehouse). Which I could remember who they mentioned - I think Mercutio at least mentions Nines who I didn't know at the time.
Well, that's good. I believe this is how it's supposed to be. Mercurio assumes someone paid attention to the intro (which I never do) and it caught me off guard as well. Tung does the same thing. Downtown you know everyone anyways, but I don't think it's a bug at the start of the game.

Also, unfortunately I would strongly encourage starting a new game if you install the 10.0 patch. Sucks as you sound like you made a dent in the game, but it's not a bad game to roll through. When I forgot to create a new game after patching, I hit a gate that would not open (the gate after the climax with Jeanette/Therese) and no amount of no-clip or anything fixed the game. Better to restart now than wait 30 hours down the road - that is, if you patch to a new version.

Wesp5

Arcane
Also, unfortunately I would strongly encourage starting a new game if you install the 10.0 patch.

Indeed, continuing an old save after updating the patch will break the game. I suggest you play the game with the GOG 9.7 basic version first, then once you finished install the 10.0 plus patch and replay with a new clan and another playing style!

laclongquan

Arcane
2017 and people still complain about VTMB bugs~ I blame Wesp and his "basic" patch for that.

If only people just install vanilla then do the True Patch there would be no problem.

But newbie doesnt know GOG version come with UP already in.

laclongquan

Arcane
The wonky combat is feature, no one can fix that.

The bugs however are 100% done based on True Patch get completed years ago. Because, you know, the prima donna modder didnt add more things that break the game.

Unlike yours.

If you stop add more shits into your "patch" maybe you will complete 100% bugfix in the next year. Yes, even your own bugs, even.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
I dunno, Wesp's patch is perhaps the best unofficial patch to a game I've ever used. It even has a basic patch for those who just want bug fixes without restored content. But whatever, Internet drama is more important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom