Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VTMB first time patch/mod recommendations

Go in blind w/ Malk Y/N?

• Total voters

hello friend

Arcane
Isn't Tessera that perpetually butthurt modder (more than usual, I mean) that makes all those sexy _____ mods? Don't remember which game, but I remember looking for mods for some game years ago and coming across all sorts of weird stuff + drama. Nevertheless, Tr00 Patch + forced settings on graphics card seems like the way to go.

Kinda wish I hadn't started playing Serpent in the Staglands while waiting for a reply (that's a lie). Now this game will have to wait for a little while.

SitS is the best new game I've played in a long, long time. Wow! Just wow.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Let me put it this way.

Tessera True Patch is fixing bugs only. As such, he stopped updating it years ago because all the bugs are fixed already and his work doesnt introduce new ones.

Wesp's Unofficial Patch should be named as Unofficial Mod, because it change a lot, and so even when it fix bug, it introduce bugs of its own. As such his UP still get updated even today.

If you want a vanilla game, as close to developers intend, then Tessera's TP is a recommendation, no if when or but. Not the basic version of Wesp's UP because face it, the fact that he still fix bug to this day mean it's not 100% clean.

If you want a modded game, then UP is very popular among certain group of players.

As such, your first run should be a TP run. After completion, you can try UP.

Oh, and a gameplay recommendation: Try Malkavian 1st run. There's only two group of players, the one who break Bloodline virginity with a Malkavian 1st run, and everyone else.

This is BS. Tessera's mod changes several blood spells and/or resistances with the result that combat is significantly more difficult.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
People who don't like Tessera's patch are just sexually frustrated. It's a fact.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
My memory is a bit hazy - I remember the blood elemental fight being harder. On the other hand that was years ago and I can't even recall how the unmodded game treated this fight. Might actually fire up the game and compare the mods...

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Wesp patch have a lot of changes compared to Vanilla. Changes that can actually fucked the story up, especially for 1st timers. For example graveyard quest, where you are choosing between to bring a hooker for Romero or to shoot zombies while he is gone to get one himself. Now, the Wesp made changes to allow a player to do both. Against any logic. That looked especially stupid when you playing female char and having sex with him. The same with Vandal quest, when you dominate him at first, and in next scene he refuses to sell you blood and gives you quest to bring somebody from club... same with unique "Nosferatu only" quests. So, basically all those changes was made to allow retards to do every possible quest in game. Oblivion style. Plus it has some stupid changes to disciplines and bugged Wolf form, along with some bugs in dialogs due to changes.
Enabled histories which gives a player a lot of free stat points, pretty much destroyed any balance that was left from vanilla game.

DeN DarK

Educated
Whitestone One, First Throne, Forty Forties
Kinda wish I hadn't started playing Serpent in the Staglands while waiting for a reply (that's a lie). Now this game will have to wait for a little while.
SitS is the best new game I've played in a long, long time. Wow! Just wow.

Try Underrail after that. It is very cool.
VTMB - definitly one of the best games and deserve few walkthrough (one of them with Malk). UP is ok - but it changing game in many aspects. For real first run - I think it isn't best choice.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I've never understood people who made threads like this. Just play the damn game, FFS. Play it without any patches, without looking at forums and asking people. You won't forget the first time you've played Bloodlines, believe me. The game will either capture your heart, or you will hate it forever.

This is one of the most retarded statements I have seen. Wesps's official/unoffical patch actually fixes many bugs the developers themselves were intending to fix and in fact he had discourse with some devs about various aspects. You might as well be telling people to not put sheets on their bed because that is how the mattress got delivered. Completely stupid.

The game's release was fucked up and the devs had many problems because at the time Source engine was really fucked up for development (numerous stories about multiple dev houses having problems), its a fact its a fact that Wesp's patch directly addresses these issues.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I was reading this LP where some guy went through one of the Bloodlines mods called Antitribu, which promise all stuff like new clans, new quests, items etc.
Plus being faithful to the lore and whatever.
Hilarity ensures, with cherry on the top with another sewers levels and more combat because why improve good stuff and add more good stuff when you can do opposite.
I read the original LP and don't feel to play the actual game. Tried few times but it's 10 years too late to play shit game with 1-3 redeeming features.

pippin

Haven't played the game in years, tried playing it today, won't work.=( Tried both the UP and TP. Oh well.

Steam? If so, disabling Steam's Layout or whatever and setting the Steam exe with user privileges will make it run. It helped me at least.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The vanilla game worked fine just by itself. Whenever I tried running it with either patch, the game would crash whenever I hit 'new game'.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
What version are you using? Steam?

Steam, yeah. It's not that big a deal though, really. No need for anyone to put himself out on my behalf. I've got other shit to play anyway. If I REALLY wanted to play vtmb now, I probably would've spent a bit longer googling for a possible fix. Only did a couple quick searches.

EDIT: Reinstalled the game + the whole UP with the extra shit included. Ran the game right after installation and this seems to work, I see the 'history' option in character creation, which obviously isn't there in vanilla. But I am a bit curious about the word 'BASE'. In a couple youtube vidz that same spot had the patch's version number.

https://youtu.be/fm5ytkTCeCk?t=7m7s <- for example here, in the upper left corner, it says 'UP 8.8 PLUS' where mine just says 'BASE'. So I am a bit curious if I'm just running the vanilla game or what. I did run it right out of the patch installer too.

EDIT #2: Gameplay options say 'unofficial patch 9.4 plus' so i gotta think all's well!<3

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Graphics are not that bad so I didn't even bother looking for ways to improve them.

Yeah, just force at least 4xMSAA and 16xAF in graphics card panel and you're set, game looks good enough. I also never really got into any mods. Vanilla game with Wesp's patch is just fine to me. Definitely my most replayed game ever.

On my second time with the game I used sweetfx with some guy's settings(can't remember whose now). It gave the graphics a darker tone(besides better effects of course) which I enjoyed more compared to vanilla's more "colorful" tone.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Never go full Malk for the first time, you'll miss out on a lot of cool stuff during later game walkthroughs. Try the Final Nights mod, it adds a bunch of cool stuff, including the best clan in history - Assamites!

laclongquan

Arcane
Never ever forget the most important thing: You are a chum in the hand of ancient vampires. A catpaws. A puppet. A hapless front man. Play virgin Malk run help you get into proper mindset. Other clans just make you think you really matter. Malk helps you see the truth.

I played with Malk the first time and it didn't ruin shit for me, still replaying it occasionally after all these years, probably my favorite RPG. My first one too.

Old One

Arcane
I played with Malk the first time and it didn't ruin shit for me, still replaying it occasionally after all these years, probably my favorite RPG. My first one too.
People who tell other people not to play Malkavian for their first time never played a Malkavian the first time themselves. They say the same thing about Nosferatu. I played a Nos my first time and it was great. In some ways it was better than playing more normal clans, because I got to see a lot of content on my second try that I missed on my first.

Play whatever character you get from the Quiz and don't worry about it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Playing Malk first makes as much sense to me as playing with dumb char in Fallout 1/2 first time around. Then again, i can't imagine what it would be like.

Playing Malk the first time you won't be able to pick up on all of the craziness that is actually premonitions though. It's not so much that it ruins the game (maybe it would make it hard to get used to if you were a casual), instead its better suited to be played if you already know the game.

If you only plan to play the game once though, sure play Malk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom