Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vtm Bloodlines for the first time

laclongquan

Arcane
To reiterate the conditions of OP: He and his associate are VTMB virgins.

As such, any extra content mod should not be on the list to be considered. Tessera's true patch is the only thing he should install. PROBABBLY some nudies mod Tessera is known for. That is.

Any extra content mod should be left until 2nd and later plays. This count Wesp's 'patch' and Clan Quest.

And contrary to belief, the feeling of playing Malkavian in 1st ever VTMB game is great. It's unreplicable. Any other clan can be played later, but a Malk virgin is something only great luck will place on you, because too many idiots will advise you to 'save' it for later. Your luck, though.

Nosterafu is great in that horror stealth game. Some like that feel, but not me. I hate uglies and sewers. If you like horror stealth, Nosferatu is great.

Final point. VTMB is a game made by Troika. As such, it would be riddled with bug and idiosynratic designs. If you can not get beyond it, then you wont enjoy their game. You MUST get beyond those issues is practically the only requirement for a hardcore gamer.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Install latest Wesp's patch (only base patch, no extras) and don't listen to people who advise you to pick Malkavian and Nosferatu.

itz a trap

Stompa

Arcane
To fully appreciate what a great game Bloodlines is, you have to make a completely non-combat character. Believe me, it all pays off in the end.

buzz

Arcane
Liking Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines is the ultimate litmus test to determine if someone has shit taste in RPGs.

Or at the very least, that it doesn't take a specific set of design choices in order to hit the spot with hardcore niche.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Separate from that

IF you are playing VTMB for the first time, choose Malkavian. Everyone should get a VTMB deflower by Malkvian. IT set the proper mindset for RPG connoiseurs.
Ive never managed more than the first hour or two as anything BUT malkavian. Sometimes id pop in on local WOD games and be a major troll and fuck with everyone, cuz Malkavian, betches. If one has basic reading comprehension and can handle unusual narrative authors like Vonnegut or Hunter Thompson or Tom Robbins, then one shouldn't "miss" what's going on just because a malkavian sees things obliquely. But it can ruin every other clan if you dig that shit.
and totally agree on the value of noncombat characters. maybe just enough combat to survive, but so much more story and writing opens up from the noncombat skills.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My favorite game when replaying bloodlines is too see how far i can minimax during the game itself, which is a sign of interesting quest design. Due to the way skill books work, or the xp bonus items, choosing the right place to use them can be very rewarding. The game is not hard, but it's undeniably cool to fill dots (you need to gimp yourself so you can use the free skill ups - which only operate on a specific range - at the right time).

Why, i even found out that some quest on santa monica have a storystate timelimit.

Ivan

Arcane
U WOT M8
Warehouse090.jpg

DISBELIEF
vampire_bloodlines__sexy_vv_by_rezelute-d2yg7ug.jpg

Vibalist

Arcane
Just install Wesp's unofficial patch. That should be more than fine. Don't ruin your first experience with the game by running any of that 'clan mod Camarilla edition xtra questline' amateur bullshit. Or any subsequent playthrough for that matter.

EDIT: Oh, and don't listen to the faggot who keeps recommending Tessera's patch for some inscrutable reason. The only possible explanation that anyone would recommend the "true patch" is if they're secretly Tessera.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wesp's patch is all you need, especially on your first playthrough. The other stuff often veers dangerously close to typical modders shit.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have never played this game.. It always bothered me that it was based on the Half life engine. I can't think of a single FPS engine that was turned into a good RPG.

This has been on my bucket list to play forever and I always put it off.

Adding a lot of the suggestions here to my .txt

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have never played this game.. It always bothered me that it was based on the Half life engine. I can't think of a single FPS engine that was turned into a good RPG.

It's for sure worth it. I spent a good two years playing this game through with all the different clans. Altho I never did a nosferatu playthrough. I really should...

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It's for sure worth it. I spent a good two years playing this game through with all the different clans. Altho I never did a nosferatu playthrough. I really should...

It's not as tedious as I imagined (Nos was my latest playthrough). You don't need to use the sewers for your regular travels, asides from hub transitions because there's no taxi. Avoiding pedestrians in the beginning is sufficient to not incur any masquerade violations, later you get higher levels of Obfuscate anyway.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Excellent. I was worried that it would get really annoying after about an hour of constant screwing around. I'll definitely try it out.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I think you get about 4 or 5 hours into this game before you have to yell out to no one in particular, "How the FUCK did you guys have to close?!" :negative:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and since Tessera's patch has been mentioned, just a reminder of what douchebag and a fraud he is :

Also, this isn't really tessera's patch. All the actual bugfixings are made by Acrimonious. The readme is pretty funny. He manages to write more stuff after his name, even though he did almost nothing :

Code:
-----------------------------------
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

Acrimonious: Python script editing, fixes to coding errors, dialogue errors,
item repairs and all of the required map repairs/restorations/alterations.

Tessera: Creative (RP) oversight, dialogue coach, additional Malkavian dialogue,
special custom texture repairs/restorations, continuity oversight and also the
promotion/hosting of the True VTMB Patch series.

Creative oversight ? Promotion ? dialogue coach ?

what a douche :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think you get about 4 or 5 hours into this game before you have to yell out to no one in particular, "How the FUCK did you guys have to close?!" :negative:
Yes :/ :/ :/

Fuckers and their need for money. Real artists live on rain water and leftovers from a local restaurant

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why, i even found out that some quest on santa monica have a storystate timelimit.

Morphine for Mercurio? :P

Slashing paintings too.
Yes, and all of the beach bums subquests... they do not go away only on quest completion.
Excellent. I was worried that it would get really annoying after about an hour of constant screwing around. I'll definitely try it out.
On the contrary, the pedestrian 'avoidance mini-game' is a engaging way to fill up the hub travel, even with the other clans, drinking their blood - if you install the mod that makes blood go down constantly that is.

Another way is to have a low enough masquerade that hunters spawn in large groups, good way to get money too, which is 'more' important with the 'night classes' from the clan quest mod (they replace skill books i think). You can also extract a very large amount of money from the prince, which i never realized before that playthrough.

Last edited:

imweasel

VtM:B is one of the greatest games ever made. And it needs a sequel really bad.

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont deny that Tessera is a huge douchebag with ego issue.

However, that make me more inclined to believe him.

He has been straight with us from the start about a patch as the devs envisioned it. He change no design from the vanilla version.

And because he's such huge douchebag, people would have raked him over hot coal if he ever strayed from what he proclaimed.

That is why when I want a vanilla game "with fix" I would play a TP game.

Same can not be said about Wesp. He'd consistently kept the monicker "patch" while changing the content. Only until huge outcry from us demanding him changing his "patch" to "mod" did he provide us a basic patch that he claim "fix only".

But who know what he changed in his basic patch? He outspent his credit with us players in this issue of "fix only".

His 'patch' is hugely popular with gamers, and no one can accuse him of being a douchebag... Nevertheless, in one matter I wont trust him a single iota.

Oh, and since Tessera's patch has been mentioned, just a reminder of what douchebag and a fraud he is :

Also, this isn't really tessera's patch. All the actual bugfixings are made by Acrimonious. The readme is pretty funny. He manages to write more stuff after his name, even though he did almost nothing :

Code:
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

Acrimonious: Python script editing, fixes to coding errors, dialogue errors,
item repairs and all of the required map repairs/restorations/alterations.

Tessera: Creative (RP) oversight, dialogue coach, additional Malkavian dialogue,
special custom texture repairs/restorations, continuity oversight and also the
promotion/hosting of the True VTMB Patch series.

Creative oversight ? Promotion ? dialogue coach ?

what a douche :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom