Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Alonebadman

Educated
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/31/5...e-story-creator-reveals-new-game-about-social

My Twin Brother Made Me Crossdress As Him And Now I Have To Deal With A Geeky Stalker And A Domme Beauty Who Want Me In A Bind!!, shortened as Ladykiller in a Bind, will explore the power dynamics that manifest in different relationships.

wat

WAT!?

She's not even trying anymore. She should do a bear romance simulator where you take on the role of a strong but caring bear cub and have to navigate the lonely and cutthroat world of bear romance and politics.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've walked through 999 and got the "Axe Ending". I'm not sure I want to open other endings through another walkthroughs (even with text skipping option it feels too tedious, especially considering the sequel's great system of opening all the stuff without completing the same things twice).

So is there any interesting stuff during the other walkthroughs for different endings? Or it's okay just to watch them on Youtube and read the wikia?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I've walked through 999 and got the "Axe Ending". I'm not sure I want to open other endings through another walkthroughs (even with text skipping option it feels too tedious, especially considering the sequel's great system of opening all the stuff without completing the same things twice).

So is there any interesting stuff during the other walkthroughs for different endings? Or it's okay just to watch them on Youtube and read the wikia?

It's best for 999, to look at an ending graph, because what determines your ending is pretty damn impossible to predict. Shockingly, there is a way to determine you're on the path to the best ending, but you'd only know if you beat it.

But yeah, there's a ton of other shit during the Safe and True ending. You need to get Safe first.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
So skipping text and using turbo mode is par for the course in VNs. And 999 is a very short game.

There are different rooms with different puzzles on the other routes. The problem is that since you can choose from 2 or 3 doors at a time, and there are something like 4-5 routes, you will inevitably have to redo certain rooms over the 4-5 playthroughs, which can be tedious. With the route map in gamefaqs you can plan ahead to minimize this retreading as long as you don't mind being spoiled about the optimal sequence of doors. I suppose a careful, thoughtful player avoiding using faqs would probably get enough information over several playthroughs to make an educated guess about the true path, but it sounds like you don't have the patience for that.

I would say that the plot and the gameplay in 999 are so married that watching an LP instead would diminish its impact.
It's best for 999, to look at an ending graph, because what determines your ending is pretty damn impossible to predict. Shockingly, there is a way to determine you're on the path to the best ending, but you'd only know if you beat it.

But yeah, there's a ton of other shit during the Safe and True ending. You need to get Safe first.
Thanks for the answers.

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy the gameplay on my first playthrough. I believe that's the main point I didn't continue. I know about the safe/true endings. Probably I'll force myself to make another 1-2 runthroughs.

BTW is there any info about the third part?

Cool name

Arcane
And there's no sense of irony about this either.

The lack of irony and self-awareness is indeed the worst part of her work, I believe.

It was both particularly bad and particularly obvious in Analogue: When *Mute did comment on *Hyun-Ae translation of 남존여비 she could as well be commenting on the developer's take on Joseon. Which is kind of sad. She had a chance to be clever about it and make the story about, well, Joseon. If anything, Joseon can be seen as a five hundred years long debate on the nature of Confucianism, and as a five hundred years long experiment on both its application and its life cycle. Having the main character and player act as a both a witness to the daily lives of, and the relationships between, the people of Joseon and arbiter to the clash between the perspectives of both an insider and an outsider over the way in which they both read those slice-of-life accounts would have been quite clever. Instead we get a game about feminism, and a statement on how Joseon was actually far worse than the way in which she did represent it in the game. Her bibliography? Half a dozen books.

I find it kind of sad. I actually kind of like her work: She's able to write effective and emotionally involving slice-of-life vignettes, she does some meta commentary without going overboard with it, her focus on interpersonal relationships and social networking is something I enjoy quite a bit, and there are some quite clever elements here and there. Yet she seems to be completely oblivious to this, and there is something so deeply wrong about her complete lack of insight on her own perspective and the irony of her own behaviour that makes all the good and clever bits seem wasted. I believe she could do some very good things if she were to drop the statements and the agenda and focus instead on using slice-of-life vignettes, social networking, and meta commentary as the core elements of the story instead of just the means through which the story is presented.

It's kind of like she's introspective about everything but herself, which is... Let's just say she did waste a good opportunity to learn something and better herself by dismissing five hundred years of philosophical and ideological development as 'MYSOGINY!' If you want to be feminist about Confucianism you have to begin by declaring your own right and duty to become a model Junzi without abandoning your feminity. Instead she throws a tantrum and shows neither introspection nor morality nor sense of duty nor sense of truth, and she kind of comes along as the very reason 남존여비 was there to begin with. :(

It always comes to a complete lack of self awareness: One of the female characters in the slice-of-life vignettes actually did that, obtaining both the respect and appreciation of her husband by showing him her ability first to learn the very topics he had to learn about to take the government officer's examination, then turning out to be better than him in some of those topics, and then using what she had learned to assist him on his duties.

It's like she's so blinded by her agenda she's not even conscious about the implications of the very things she writes about. >.<U

In a way she's just like the 'pale bride': A modern girl that comes in contact with Joseon, suffers culture shock, believes herself to be better than everyone, throws tantrum after tantrum, passes judgement on everyone because they don't understand her, and then commits character assasination on a massive scale. What is truly tragic is that it seems to go over her head.

Last edited:

MystiKnight

Educated
999 and VLR, Ghost Trick, Tons of Nasu stuff, both Umineko and Higurashi. Great taste codex:brodex:

Demonbane's a train wreck, gets pretty damn weird at times and feels super weaboo, but it can be genuinely hilarious and entertaining at times. Eien no Aselia's got a lot of gameplay in it, but has a ridiculous amount of content in it... As long as you can endure said gameplay. I don't like how there's no mention of Corpse Party, if I didn't miss it. It fringes on VN, but its definitely a great game to play. Things by Key are good if you're okay with FULL WEABOO and sudden genre shifts; Key games are really high quality. Planetarium's definitely a game anybody should play. It's short, sweet, and overall a nice read.

A special mention to School Days. It's so, so bad, but the damn thing strings you along with pure expectations and raw shock factor. It's as animu as it gets, the main character is horrible and unlikeable, and the plot is tremendously stupid. If curiosity ever leads you to touch this shit, you better be damned ready for the messiest ride of your life.

Also, fuwanovel is amazing.

Cromwell

Arcane
Corpse Party is genuinely frightening. There's this one scene with a cell phone that still freaking haunts my nightmares. A lot of the plot is some horror movie cliche bullshit though (why yes, it's a great idea for you to go to the bathroom alone! oh you think we should split up to cover more ground? sure!). I don't even think I can handle Book of Shadows.

I had hoped for book of shadows that they would go the full way to Visual novel (like 999) instead they managed to make exploring the school even more horrible. I dont know if its worth it for the story since I put it down after the introduction and return to heavenly host, 5 minutes into the new gameplay.

MystiKnight

Educated
The exploration in Book of Shadows really was cringe-worthy, but some of the scenarios in it were absolutely terrifying. If you don't care about the Corpse Party universe enough, the poor gameplay's going to stop you from enjoying it. But if you liked a lot of the side characters and want to know more about them, the game's real good.

And the ending of the last chapter, oh damn that ending is a fine one. Pure Nightmare Fuel right there.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Zero Escape not profitable in Japan, trilogy end on hold
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. That sequel ends on a cliffhanger and it doesn't look like it will be resolved any time soon.

Series writer and director Kotaro Uchikoshi kindly took to a newly-made English Twitter account to explain the situation this morning to English-speaking fans. According to Uchikoshi, "'in Japan', 999 and VLR are in the red. They are not selling more than people think." Because of this, funding for a the third game cannot be secured. "I'm so sad, but all the companies exist for profit-making purposes. If the profits can't be expected, naturally, the project isn't approved."

Uchikoshi seems more torn up about this than anyone, saying, "I feel ashamed of my own inadequacies," because noting that Zero Escape 3 could still happen if it finds funding. It just isn't happening right now. "I still haven't given up. For example, if the title which I make next bring about a good result, the wind might shift to another direction. Or, if someone with executive ability (financer, producer, publisher or millionaire!) propose the investment, everything could go well."

Apparently they "examined crowd-funding like Kick Starter," but, "figured the idea is not quite persuasive enough." Maybe you can send Uchikoshi a Facebook message and explain that a Kickstarter might just work.
http://www.destructoid.com/zero-escape-not-profitable-in-japan-trilogy-end-on-hold-270524.phtml

:rage:

though a kickstarter can help, though I have no idea how much gold do they need

TigerKnee

Arcane
Maybe making the title a handheld exclusive kinda, yknow, excludes people
Handhelds are basically one of the few cost effective places to start new VN series. Were you expecting PS3 VNs or something? Those are usually only by extremely established devs and mostly ported off already made PC games.

And if you want to make PC VNs as a Japanese Dev, you basically HAVE to do pr0n, which some creators don't want to, sadly.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Zero Escape not profitable in Japan, trilogy end on hold
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. That sequel ends on a cliffhanger and it doesn't look like it will be resolved any time soon.

Series writer and director Kotaro Uchikoshi kindly took to a newly-made English Twitter account to explain the situation this morning to English-speaking fans. According to Uchikoshi, "'in Japan', 999 and VLR are in the red. They are not selling more than people think." Because of this, funding for a the third game cannot be secured. "I'm so sad, but all the companies exist for profit-making purposes. If the profits can't be expected, naturally, the project isn't approved."

Uchikoshi seems more torn up about this than anyone, saying, "I feel ashamed of my own inadequacies," because noting that Zero Escape 3 could still happen if it finds funding. It just isn't happening right now. "I still haven't given up. For example, if the title which I make next bring about a good result, the wind might shift to another direction. Or, if someone with executive ability (financer, producer, publisher or millionaire!) propose the investment, everything could go well."

Apparently they "examined crowd-funding like Kick Starter," but, "figured the idea is not quite persuasive enough." Maybe you can send Uchikoshi a Facebook message and explain that a Kickstarter might just work.
http://www.destructoid.com/zero-escape-not-profitable-in-japan-trilogy-end-on-hold-270524.phtml

:rage:

though a kickstarter can help, though I have no idea how much gold do they need

Fuck, this is not a good day. This is not a good day at all.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Holy WTF Batman!

Grisaia no Kajitsu is coming to steam?! How the hell does that work. The all ages version doesn't have sex CG's, but it ain't exactly kiddie stuff either. And I thought Steam didn't accept games with adult version (see: JAST's All-ages Eien no Aselia)

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Holy WTF Batman!

Grisaia no Kajitsu is coming to steam?! How the hell does that work. The all ages version doesn't have sex CG's, but it ain't exactly kiddie stuff either. And I thought Steam didn't accept games with adult version (see: JAST's All-ages Eien no Aselia)
:what:

Like Holy Fucking Batman!

:yeah:

Steam incline all the way.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Say, Haba, how'd you get the daiteikoku translation patch working for your let's play?

I installed the game from a mounted image. Then I copied the 1.02 patch into the root folder, overriding where necessary and ran the update.exe in wapanese with applocale. I got a dialogue box from the patch strewn with moonrunes, so I've no idea if something went wrong there. I then ran the 0.35 fan translation .exe and pointed it to the daiteikoku root folder as instructed.

The game starts (using applocale to set it to wapanese), but only the plain text parts of the game are translated. The conversations in the overlong intro are in english, but all the buttons and menus in the game proper are still in moonrunes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom