Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by felipepepe, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    So, replaying Dies Irae now that it has been translated.

Never realized how blatantly it steals from Fate/Stay Night.

Also, absolutely retarded that you force your players play through the worst girl first. Though it is fitting that she also gets the bad ending. 14 hours for common route and the worst girl. Geh.

^ Top  
  2. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Producer of MAGES (Steins Gate etc.) talks about future Steam releases: (Japanese) http://jp.automaton.am/articles/interviewsjp/20170628-49579/

- He would like to release 3~4 adventure games/VNs on Steam this year
    - Bullet Soul Infinite Burst (shmup) is coming to Steam this Summer (which follows the release of Bullet Soul)
    - A new and original game (probably an action game) will be announced next year. It also will coming to Steam following console releases

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

So this is an interesting development. Subahibi is to be released on steam in august, $30 for the first (presumably "all-ages") chapter, with the 18+ patch that contains all the other chapters for free. Could this be the back door to eroge on steam going forward?

The translator doesn't seem too enthusiastic about it though.

^ Top  
  4. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  5. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Gerrardgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gerrard
    Parrots:
    Sekai Project without doubt.

How is this even a question?

^ Top  
  7. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
  8. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    The latest translator drama about SP and Baldr: http://tenka.seiha.org/2017/07/some-long-overdue-remarks-on-translation-work/

TLDR: SP and the "cartel" have driven aroduc out of translation

Sekai Project vs. NISA vs. Treehouse, which is worst and why? Discuss.

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    That was what I warned about years ago. When they would start to publish VN outside of Japan, all these fan translators would start to disappear, and quality would suffer. Also instead of being able to get free VN like we would went to public library and borrow book, we would get them for "money only". Previously companies didn't gave a shit about stuff sold outside Japan.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. TigerKneegender: ⚧ Prophet

TigerKnee
    Parrots:
    I don't think the scenario of "fan-translators only" is optimal either - how many years of their lives do you think people are gonna spend on something that doesn't earn them anything outside of online fame? Especially as they get older

We just need less shitty companies - but that's the Catch-22 because there's very little money to be earned here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Maxwell's Demongender: ⚧ Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    Parrots:
    Translating something is a good way to develop skill with a language, and such skill is directly marketable.

^ Top  
  12. Malperciogender: ⚧ Arcane

Malpercio
    Parrots:
    Yeah, I'm not sure that "let's pray for someone to pick that one VN that interests me" was ever a good thing, especially if you are into more niche stuff or weird ass genres.

^ Top  
  13. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

My review of Sumaga:

A high schooler awakens to find that he is falling from the sky over an unfamiliar city, and he has no memories of who he is or why he is in this situation. As he falls, he meets a trio of young witches riding on broomsticks, who fly off to defend the city under attack by invisible monsters. The witches defeat the monsters but not soon enough to rescue him from falling to his death. He arrives in heaven in front of a giant television screen, on which a kindergarten girl appears. The kindergartener calls herself God and offers him a chance to go back in time.

Sounds interesting, right? Like a great mystery to be solved? Unfortunately, the solution isn't particularly clever or interesting, and the mystery dies about halfway through. It's a real shame, too, since Sumaga has some very ambitious concepts and themes, and one can really see in this the cross-pollination of storytelling ideas between the author Vio and his then-colleague Urobuchi Gen, as well as Steins;Gate which Vio contributed to, but Sumaga never really lives up to its ambitions in a similar way. I think this is because Sumaga is trying to do two things at once, first, be a surreal comedy full of absurd situations, and second, be a serious mystery in which said absurdities eventually make sense. This thematic and tonal inconsistency results in a schizophrenic mess. Vio did much better when he was trying to do one (Axanael) or the other (Totono) but not both at the same time.

It's not the worst VN I've read, but I don't think it merits an 82 on EGS or "2ch best eroge of 2008" either. It's also very different from what I expected a Nitroplus VN to be, and turned out to be a mostly lighthearted, heartwarming tale of the power of love, friendship, faith, and determination overcoming all obstacles. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that it seemed like it promised more.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
  15. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014

[​IMG]

(Japanese only)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Standalone demo version of Danganronpa V3:

^ Top  
  17. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Played the demo, some thoughts:

- No spoilers since the demo is not canon and not serious either, it's just an introduction with a case similar to DR1's case 1 featuring the characters from previous games. It's not even a full case, just a teaser.
    - You meet the new cast and get a sense of their personalities but hidden stuff remains hidden.
    - NISA's translation made me very angry. They clearly censored some of the more risque dialog. I switched to japanese text and tried to get text hooking to work with the demo but no dice so far.
    - The new lying mechanic is quite interesting and potentially doubles the number of inputs per debate, so you're less likely to brute force. Not that DR was ever tricky enough that one would need to, but hey.
    - Supposedly you can import your demo complete save into the game proper and get some bonus stuff, probably related to the social link minigame, so not that important, but why not.
    - It seems like playing with KB&M instead of controller trivializes the arcade aspect of the game, so you could think of it as an easy mode.

^ Top  
  18. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Out now.

^ Top  
  19. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    It's out with a 10% discount if you already own Extra/Unlimited.

^ Top  
  21. abnaxusgender: ⚧ Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)