Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They clearly didn't have any kind of editing or QC going on. And some phrases are obviously poorly translated (as in they seem dumb/edgy due to that).

But the whole thing is a fucking sick.

I mean, there are two routes, a "bad" ending and a "good" ending.

To get to the good ending, you have to go through the bad ending. So you literally have to get cucked. You watch all of your waifus being raped/killed in the most humiliating ways possible.

Hell the protagonist himself goes crazy, so you have wonderful scenes where you cut off a witches head for minutes or rape/kill someone.

The barrage of sickness is so bad, that the bad guy is literally tired of all the rape and torture himself. He goes "come on, do we really have to do this?" at the end. Of course there is a lore reason for this, but JESUS FUCK.

And then you get the happy ending.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I just wanted to conclude with this
cCTvM1E.jpg

Theldaran

Liturgist
On a sale again, worth picking up for this price if you haven't played it before. Around 50 hours for every route.

is this a sequel to chaos;head

More or less. The game is a murder mystery. You have to solve the case, and the culprit is revealed at the end of the game.

The murders are New Generation Madness 2.0. The protagonist and many characters were children at the time of the Shibuya Earthquake (end of the previous Chaos;Head).

Lots of more Gigalomaniac goodness. As with Steins;Gate 0 opposed to Steins;Gate, I think this is darker and grittier than the original Chaos;Head. Still, it's not devoid of some sexually/romantically enticing scenes.

The game is very long, being artificially lengthened by some girl routes you have to do mandatorily. It's a game that relies heavily on twists though.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
More or less. The game is a murder mystery. You have to solve the case, and the culprit is revealed at the end of the game.

The murders are New Generation Madness 2.0. The protagonist and many characters were children at the time of the Shibuya Earthquake (end of the previous Chaos;Head).
Is it ok to read without reading Chaos;Head?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I played the Russian VN, Leviathan.

Pros:
Excellent non-animu art.
Some light puzzles.
Some optional side content.
At times good writing.
Interesting setting.
No sex scenes.

Cons:
At times immature, silly writing.
The last chapter is hastily done and inconclusive.
Boring timewasting scenes when traveling between areas.
Pretty short. (It took me around 7 hours and I redid many segments to check different outcomes.)
No sex scenes.

Theldaran

Liturgist

Is it ok to read without reading Chaos;Head?

Yes absolutely. You miss some references that are reasonable since this is a sequel set some years later, but I think you can completely understand everything.

The thing with this couple of games is that they do their own take on "superpowers". I think that you get a pretty good explanation in Child, but if not, you can always get Head.

The problem with Head is that the game is old and not officially released West, so it's annoying. I managed to play it last year. There's an annoying bug whereby you cannot save your game for a whole chapter.

Since some years elapsed between both games, they made Child almost independent purposefully, so probably more people have played Child than Head.

Chaos;Head anime tells the gist of the story, but it's overall considered very poor quality. I stomached it, though.

There's also a bit of information for long-time readers of the Sci-Adv franchise (which comprises some other games), like the "Noah" thing, but I don't think many people read all the games. Your choice really. I mean that the whole picture completes with the other games.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't get VNs. I really don't.
I would rather just download image sets and enjoy amazing PC-98 art and/or anime tiddies.

DDLC is the only exception, but that's a short and sweet gimmick game, plus genre deconstruction. Ironically... it would also probably make a solid straightforward romance VN.

Theldaran

Liturgist
DDLC is the only VN that passes for you? My God.

There are all kinds of stories in VNs but only a fraction comes West. There are like a dozen thousand VNs in total. And the demand pushes the market in a pervert, fantasy-fulfilling direction. Well, nothing wrong with it, but not everyone's thing.

It really looks like you grabbed the most famous free VN and then dropped those lines, you look a tad uninformed mate.

But don't worry, if you liked DDLC that much, the "Japanese DDLC" is getting a translation. You'll probably see it posted here.

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
But don't worry, if you liked DDLC that much, the "Japanese DDLC" is getting a translation. You'll probably see it posted here.

Which "Japanese DDLC" are you talking about?

I've heard this invokes some of the same feelings DDLC does:

https://vndb.org/v7738

This is probably gonna release by December (Christmas probably) for all I hear.

Of course DDLC has to originate somewhere amirite?

Lagole Gon: According to me, "Planescape Torment of VN" should be Steins;Gate lol. But I guess it's not for everyone's taste. I started it out dubious as it has a bit of "otaku glorification" so to speak. If you put up with that, it's a cool sci-fi story with lots of tension and drama.

As for original Yu-No, playing a 25-year old VN comes with some caveats. Even VNs from, like, the 2000s seem dated today, in graphics and most of all themes and plot. You know, design.

Ialda

Learned
Sakura is now aged 30.

Also, finished Somnium Files this WE. Weakest Uchikoshi title I've played so far : interesting core idea, wasted by gimmicky characters, boring puzzles and not enough routes / SF technobabble. I should have waited and buy it during a sale at 30$ top :(

Theldaran

Liturgist
Finished Maggot Baits. It's edgy to the extreme, as we all knew. Even if the story satisfied me in some parts, I couldn't help but be a little unfulfilled with the ending. Much like Cowboy Bebop it's not a happy ending. Lasted me 14 hours, skipping some torture scenes that felt redundant.

At any rate, Mangagamer scored a big slam dunk, I don't know if it has sold well, but 40 dollars for it feels like too much.

EDIT: At the time of writing this I only had gotten the "neutral" ending (normal one). The true ending is a bit better but still... you know, some Cowboy Bebop feelz. Still the world is not turned into a travesty like in the other ending, so good, I guess.

I don't understand why Clockup keeps doing this "get the true ending on a subsequent playthrough", it's pretty inconvenient. The same happened in Natsu no Kusari (not available in English).

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I genuinely enjoyed Chaos;Child so much that it's become a bit of a reference point for me when it comes to VNs. Do the Codexers of this thread have recommendations of similar taste?

Ialda

Learned
Have you heard the good word about our lord and savior 428 - Shibuya ?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
After all the discussions about torture, Asagi, Uchikoshi, and Chaos, this thread needs pure love. True Love, erotic dating sim originally released on PC-98 in 1995, and got western release for Windows in 1999.

Re-released by FAKKU.

ss_461997415eceb391eb8857509fb0e9a8e8d52f31.600x338.jpg
ss_543379e2c4e7cab6fc4b1d7998de41fc8b5ba9e1.600x338.jpg

Theldaran

Liturgist
I genuinely enjoyed Chaos;Child so much that it's become a bit of a reference point for me when it comes to VNs. Do the Codexers of this thread have recommendations of similar taste?

Virtue's Last Reward (second installment on Zero Escape series after 999) hit me hard, in a time when I haven't had played many VNs. It hit me harder than Chaos;Child, but maybe you should play Head too (I played Head first and Child later).

Also if you like what you saw in Child, get Steins;Gate if you haven't. Very different beast but also very fulfilling I guess. Steins;Gate is so far the only VN I would rate 10/10. Steins;Gate 0 I would give 9/10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom