Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

iqzulk

Augur
I think we should move away from describing VN length in hours like VNDB does, because everyone reads at a different speed. People should just give the script size or word count and let people figure it out themselves compared to something they know well (LOTR trilogy, Atlas Shrugged, whatever). https://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=VN/Eroge_Script_sizes
Well, I was, sort of, trying to establish the proportionate relation, actually. Meaning, that if one read E17 in 30 hours, then I/O (read completely) would probably take something like 60 hours from them. Also, the script sizes are frequently measured for Japanese versions only (with each kana and each kanji corresponding to 2 bytes), and, well, comparing them to non-Japanese versions of Atlas Shrugged or LOTR (in English plain-text versions, depending on encoding, each character will occupy 1 or 2 bytes) will just be weird, since this comparison will also factor in the difference between the languages themselves. However, I must say, comparing script-sizes of the original Japanese versions of these VNs themselves, using the link you provided, is, actually, a very good idea for establishing the same kind of proportionate relation I was trying to establish, only much more precisely, so, well, thanks, actually. It's pity that the list is not all that complete, as of this moment, though.

Nahel

Arcane
Ever17 seems long because some routes are boring as shit.
Agreed. The "you route" was so boring it nearly made me quit at my first try of the game. I tried again with the tsundere girl and it was a lot better.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What's difference between chuuni and epic?

Eyepatches, faux-antisocial heroes, bandages, belts.

https://hlj.com/product/KBYYK005
wtUxMb5.png

Eyepatch.

SkIPC1w.jpg

Belts.

LD18u0R.png

Faux-antisocial.

I forgot important bandaged characters, but there were thousand bandaged characters in epic. So I heard only about chuuni syndrome, but not about games or novels. They are living like that. D-I is a pretentious to the max.

n1QM0Mx.jpg

Actually there you have cute bandaged character.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Heard that its pretty good. Anybody played the nippon version?

My overall impression went from great, to good, to OK. By the end I was bored. It was clear the main writer (Masada) ran out of ideas.

The sequel (KKK) was godawful. Avoid.

Rpgsaurus Rex

On a different note FMD Muramasa is to VNs what PS:T is to storyfag RPGs. In fact if you happen to know Japanese but don't care for VNs (as it's a shit genre all in all) just read Muramasa, then forget the genre existed - you already got the best it had to offer. Why no one tried to translate it yet I have no idea (too much rape?).

TigerKnee

Arcane
I heard it was replaced with Hypnotism in the All-Ages version, but I have no idea what's left after you remove 90% of the scenes in that route.

Jazz_

Arcane
Very nice Agesilaus, thoroughly enjoyed it albeit I think I have triggered the shortest ending:
I knew that Dion was going to be an asshole as soon as I saw you used young Caligula for his portrait
:lol:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very nice Agesilaus, thoroughly enjoyed it albeit I think I have triggered the shortest ending:
I knew that Dion was going to be an asshole as soon as I saw you used young Caligula for his portrait
:lol:

Hah, good catch. I didn't expend any money on assets or anything, so all of the character portraits are actual stone or bronze statues, some of them famous.

By shortest ending, I'm guessing you didn't team up with Dion and his friends, and you didn't impress Hipponax enough to be associated with Eubulus. That's probably the most boring ending; I think the quickest ending is siding with Dion but then betraying him, or you can die by trying to commit adultery. I got burned out while making the game, though, so it ends fairly abruptly no matter what you do.

Anyway, if you liked it and you're on twitter, please retweet

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
I'm not on twitter anymore unfortunately. Anyway, by shortest ending I meant
not siding with Dion and following the trader. I just assumed that if I kept being a clerk there would have been more events/cases unfolding

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not on twitter anymore unfortunately. Anyway, by shortest ending I meant
not siding with Dion and following the trader. I just assumed that if I kept being a clerk there would have been more events/cases unfolding

yep, that's the "boring" ending. I had initially wanted 3 pathways (Dion, Eubulus, Independent), but cut the last and just made the game end if you don't (A) side with Dion and become corrupt, or (B) tell Hipponax about Dion's corruption, and thereby follow Eubulus. Even then, though, I cut the 2 main pathways short because, at the end of the day, work was getting busy and I ultimately wanted to make a different sort of game.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finished Fata Morgana at last. The story is p. beautiful but the text is so bloated. I do not get why the author decided to explain a lot of things twice with tons of unnecessary details.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finished Fata Morgana at last. The story is p. beautiful but the text is so bloated. I do not get why the author decided to explain a lot of things twice with tons of unnecessary details.

Does it live up to the hype or was it just stealth marketing
Hard to say.

Are you interested in anything more specific?

If you had to rank it among your favorites, where would it be?
This question is even harder:lol:. I barely played a dozen games in this genre and do not have a taste in it or a top.

The story is tragic in a good way and rather mature, but too long (30+ hours). The game is linear, there are some optional choices which lead to different game over screens and are needed for the achievements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom