Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by felipepepe, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Frankly go play Eien no Aselia, and get at least two routes. It would be a nice preparation.

^ Top  
  2. Gerrardgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gerrard
    Parrots:
    Plot twist: they just want to steal your mana.

^ Top  
  3. Red Eyegender: ⚧ Learned

Red Eye
    Parrots:
    That fucking last mission

^ Top  
  4. abnaxusgender: ⚧ Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    Not really a good idea to read too many Wapanese VNs.

You tend to pick up a lot of words that are not very useful in everyday conversation, like 恥垢, 亀頭 or 母胎

^ Top  
  5. Luckygender: ⚧ Arcane

Lucky
    Parrots:
    Sure, I'll give that a try when it gets released on Steam (or hopefully GOG).

^ Top  
  6. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    It has free fan translation, and you should thank them by reading it properly without paying for it. Or you can buy original Japanese version and read it in Japanese if you swing that way.

The worst part about that stuff is Google translate is even unable to translate two of them from english, so if you don't have clue what these english words mean, you are screwed.

Or perhaps English and Japanese languages have words that some other don't.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    ^ Top  
  7. abnaxusgender: ⚧ Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    There's also the fact that Nitroplus games (and S;G in particular) are hipster games using an awful lot of specialized scientific jargon kanji.

It's way easier to learn from generic nukige or some old PC98 game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Red Eyegender: ⚧ Learned

Red Eye
    Parrots:
    Shitty nukige carried my Japanese learning.

Ruins sex scenes in other games though.

^ Top  
  9. abnaxusgender: ⚧ Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
  10. Martiusgender: ⚧ Savant

Martius
    Parrots:

Looks like Danganronpa 2 will be on steam in little more than a month away - 18 April!
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/413420
    That's pretty fast, I wonder if we will see Another Episode this year too. Cant wait to try this one without checking out any info about plot. In case of first game I did that since I had no plans of getting vita.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    ^ Top  
  11. Martiusgender: ⚧ Savant

Martius
    Parrots:
    English trailer

No idea how it compares to 999, for sure looks more intense than VLR. PC version is nice surprise (although I wonder why steam logo is only in Japanese trailer), I guess after both Danganronpa's it was to be expected but I thought Spike will port first two games. Hopefully pc version wont take much time, I would prefer to play it on pc since there wont be physical version for Europe.

^ Top  
  12. flyingjohngender: ⚧ Cipher

flyingjohn
    Parrots:
    Speaking of danganronpa and zero franchise,if anybody is interested there was an article about how the beta of danganronpa called distrust was completely different from what released later:
    https://www.unseen64.net/2015/01/19/distrust-danganronpa-beta-psp-psvita/
    "On the other hand, the Trust / Distrust would have allowed players to gain the trust or the resentment of other characters. Under this system, different murders and routes would have happened in the game"
    Sound familiar?

^ Top  
  13. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Strange. While Arksys says Steam version is coming after the console release, Japanese press release mentions that Steam release is same day (June 30) as Vita and 3DS.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201603/17101596.html

^ Top  
  14. Martiusgender: ⚧ Savant

Martius
    Parrots:
    There are few possibilities. Since Chunsoft so far released Danganronpa on steam on its own I guess it could be same with Zero Time Dilemma and pc version may be released worldwide on June 30 (3ds/vita versions will be come out on 28 June in Europe and USA). On the other hand since Arksys is publisher for west maybe they made some deal to delay release of steam version outside of Japan.

^ Top  
  15. I'm With Her Morgothgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  16. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    That was three days ago.

^ Top  
  17. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    So... Tokyo Babel demo is out. Is it any good? I noticed the word "chuuni" in the description which already dampened my enthusiasm significantly. And the fact that it is an all ages title.

^ Top  
  18. Red Eyegender: ⚧ Learned

Red Eye
    Parrots:
    I don't get why they call shit chuuni. Just call it Action/Fantasy.

They do realise that using chuuni is about as good as actually advertising your games as weab?

It's a descriptor that will repel as many people as it attracts

^ Top  
  19. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yeah, in fact they could invent a new advertising term "anti-chuuni" to describe titles in which people won't shout out their attacks and hold long pompous dialogues before battles...

...this would require such title existing in the first place of course qq

^ Top  
  20. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

My review of "Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi" aka Totono (君と彼女と彼女の恋, lit. the love of you and her and her):

After I finished Axanael, I searched for another that was relatively simple and sounded interesting enough to read, and decided to go with the same author, on the assumption that he would maintain the same style of writing and storytelling. I was wrong. There were 2 options, this and Sumaga, and Sumaga is supposedly coming soon from JAST, so this was it. But this game is nothing like Axanael. It was also an order of magnitude more difficult to read.

Totono is a 2013 Nitroplus game, and like their other titles, one should play knowing as little as possible about the story. Essentially, it's about a high schooler with a crush on his childhood friend, the school idol. One day, he meets a strange girl who claims to receive messages from God, precipitating a love triangle between them. Then things start to go wrong.

After I finished the game, I couldn't decide if this was a kamige or a kusoge. There were certainly moments in the game that I wanted to warn everyone never to play this under any circumstances. And there were moments I thought were brilliant as a deconstruction of both VNs as a medium and the eroge genre. While the ideas are not particularly original, they are presented in new ways and done very well. Totono is both ambitious and incredibly frustrating, kind of like YU-NO, which is why this isn't really an unqualified endorsement for everyone to play it.

Here are some thoughts about the game:

1. It's an adventure game disguised as a VN, with lots of choices. You have to play with pen and paper handy to take notes, and you have to pay attention to what you are reading. Some of the "puzzles" have randomized solutions. I suspect some people will need a walkthrough.

2. It contains NTR. I never read vndb tags, including the sexual content tags, to avoid spoilers... and this was my punishment. So consider yourself forewarned.

3. It should be played in fullscreen, if possible, and with headphones.

4. It has several points of no return, which players can't go back from without deleting their save data. The game also destroys your save data before the true endings, so you have to back them up if you want to see more than one.

5. It has a strange form of "DRM" (quotes because that can't really be its purpose), kind of like the codec from Metal Gear Solid. The player needs to use codes from the packaging or from other media sources, in combination with information from within the game, in order to proceed.

6. It has lots of bad ends. In fact, you can get a bad end before the OP even plays.

I don't think I will read any more Nitroplus games for a while.

If you are fine with spoilers, here's a translated scene from the middle of the game, arguably its most brilliant/notorious scene:

Show Spoiler
    Really, this is a major spoiler. Don't read the comments.
    Show Spoiler

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    ^ Top  
  21. abnaxusgender: ⚧ Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    After almost a year I finally finished Chapter 2 of Sharin no Kuni.

If OST wasn't excellent I'd've dropped it long ago.

^ Top  
  22. TigerKneegender: ⚧ Prophet

TigerKnee
    Parrots:
    Totono had some moments of brilliance but also a whole stretch of being boring as hell and I don't think it became good until the spoiler scene you posted.

^ Top  
  23. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Updated my LESS_T_T.txt

^ Top  
  25. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)