Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Also why does this have 8.5 rating?
https://vndb.org/v16337

Inner yearnings...
Immutable ideals...
Dreams and reality...

One day, all of a sudden, magic came into the world. The existence of magic wasn't a secret known only to a certain few, but was announced by the current government and quickly became common knowledge.

Today, it's an age where magic is used as a resource and has permeated throughout many different fields. A city was founded on Agartha, the island where magic was discovered, and research continues to this day. This is a story about the fates of those who live in this magical world.

Watch as six radically different people find their paths converging...

Mutsumi Haruto, a 9th-Class Caster at the First National Magical Academy. A slightly half-baked boy who can't turn a blind eye to wrongdoing.
Senri, an OutCast. An anonymous inhabitant of the city's nightlife.
Rikudou Asahi, a 9th-class Caster at the Academy. A unique girl facing trials on her way to the Land of Dreams.
Atori Riku, a 10th-Class Caster at the Academy. A CEO's daughter who's not on the same wavelength as her peers.
Kousaki Fiona Annabel, an apprentice sister at the local church. Her smile never goes out.
Noah, the Unknown. A girl spotted on Agartha.

Casters and OutCasts... What fate awaits these two divergent forces?

The miracle of magic which governs the world will shape the fates of those within it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Apparently MAGES is now an official publishing partner of Steam, so they'll bring more of their games/novels after this.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Also why does this have 8.5 rating?
https://vndb.org/v16337

Inner yearnings...
Immutable ideals...
Dreams and reality...

One day, all of a sudden, magic came into the world. The existence of magic wasn't a secret known only to a certain few, but was announced by the current government and quickly became common knowledge.

Today, it's an age where magic is used as a resource and has permeated throughout many different fields. A city was founded on Agartha, the island where magic was discovered, and research continues to this day. This is a story about the fates of those who live in this magical world.

Watch as six radically different people find their paths converging...

Mutsumi Haruto, a 9th-Class Caster at the First National Magical Academy. A slightly half-baked boy who can't turn a blind eye to wrongdoing.
Senri, an OutCast. An anonymous inhabitant of the city's nightlife.
Rikudou Asahi, a 9th-class Caster at the Academy. A unique girl facing trials on her way to the Land of Dreams.
Atori Riku, a 10th-Class Caster at the Academy. A CEO's daughter who's not on the same wavelength as her peers.
Kousaki Fiona Annabel, an apprentice sister at the local church. Her smile never goes out.
Noah, the Unknown. A girl spotted on Agartha.

Casters and OutCasts... What fate awaits these two divergent forces?

The miracle of magic which governs the world will shape the fates of those within it.
+art
+text
+characters
- novelty, depth, fun, ero

You decide if it's worthy.

(last part sucks) Aka really great start and middle, and finish is quite lacking in comparison to quality of previous parts.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
Umineko spoilers.

Recently got around to finishing Umineko. Ending is terrible in a way that's almost impressive. Too many baffling choices to note them all down.

Battler's realisation of what he's done that Beatrice blames him so heavily for, the piece of the puzzle that makes him forgive her for everything that she's done and set up, is that he forgot a vague, off-hand promise to a heavily abused, obsessive, self-loathing lunatic with an unstable personality, who because of this set up a mass-murder scheme that was suicidal in nature in order to deal with their identity-issues. Even under the most forgiving circumstances where they set up the scheme but the riddle is solved, they still had every intention going through with it and create a situation that invariably ends in gruesome bloodshed. The whole thing is an author trying to convince the reader that Stockholm-Syndrom is actually a sign of true love and how it's totally your fault that you got stabbed to death by your neighbor for forgetting to say good morning twelve years ago. That, or Battler is just as insane as his paramour and would have done the exact same thing in their shoes.

Come to think of it, how did Jessica not notice that Shannon is Kanon when she knows both, has lived with them for years, knows that they are close and yet has never seen them in the same room. How did her parents not notice for that matter? Keeping that hidden for a couple of days, maybe, but not for years even with the excuse of them being servants - with long-term staff like that you're going to notice if one is conspicuously always absent when the other is in the room. Unless she knows and is in on the whole deal? In which case she's utterly insane herself. This is the problem with ending; the events sort of makes sense if you assume that everyone involved is crazy to a dangerous degree.

Oh, and lets not even get into how the justification for the number of people on the island being "imagined personalities count as people" is a giant fuck you to get around Battler 'dying' in a way that is both cheap and incompetently done. What it comes down to is that the second half of the series feels like it was made by an author who resented needing to finish the series because of fanbase expectations, what with his whole denouncing of the reader-surrogates for wanting to rip apart his oh so fragile and beautiful story of love between inbred maniacs, and took the story in a direction it was originally not meant to go. There seems to be a change from encouraging the reader to figure out the mystery, to talking about how them doing so is a violation and how laying it all bare would bring nothing but misery to the characters. The latter might have been poignant had the characters involved acted like human beings, but the writing never supplies them with the depth needed to that and the revealed murders are hard to take serious. Use of music is still pretty good though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Where's Ever17? I want to play that on Steam.

Only finished one ending long ago. Replaying 999/VLR made me want to go for all the endings, despite the lame romance crap.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I never said it sucked; I really did enjoy that one ending I have time for.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
TBH that's like every other VN. They always get lost in meaningless filler for long stretches at a time.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Is there a consensus on The House In Fata Morgana? I got gifted it a while ago and I've been in the mood for a good VN. Haven't played one I've enjoyed since Saya no Uta (speaking of which, anything similarly doom-and-gloom dystopian?)

Malpercio

Arcane
Umineko spoilers.

Recently got around to finishing Umineko. Ending is terrible in a way that's almost impressive. Too many baffling choices to note them all down.

Battler's realisation of what he's done that Beatrice blames him so heavily for, the piece of the puzzle that makes him forgive her for everything that she's done and set up, is that he forgot a vague, off-hand promise to a heavily abused, obsessive, self-loathing lunatic with an unstable personality, who because of this set up a mass-murder scheme that was suicidal in nature in order to deal with their identity-issues. Even under the most forgiving circumstances where they set up the scheme but the riddle is solved, they still had every intention going through with it and create a situation that invariably ends in gruesome bloodshed. The whole thing is an author trying to convince the reader that Stockholm-Syndrom is actually a sign of true love and how it's totally your fault that you got stabbed to death by your neighbor for forgetting to say good morning twelve years ago. That, or Battler is just as insane as his paramour and would have done the exact same thing in their shoes.

Come to think of it, how did Jessica not notice that Shannon is Kanon when she knows both, has lived with them for years, knows that they are close and yet has never seen them in the same room. How did her parents not notice for that matter? Keeping that hidden for a couple of days, maybe, but not for years even with the excuse of them being servants - with long-term staff like that you're going to notice if one is conspicuously always absent when the other is in the room. Unless she knows and is in on the whole deal? In which case she's utterly insane herself. This is the problem with ending; the events sort of makes sense if you assume that everyone involved is crazy to a dangerous degree.

Oh, and lets not even get into how the justification for the number of people on the island being "imagined personalities count as people" is a giant fuck you to get around Battler 'dying' in a way that is both cheap and incompetently done. What it comes down to is that the second half of the series feels like it was made by an author who resented needing to finish the series because of fanbase expectations, what with his whole denouncing of the reader-surrogates for wanting to rip apart his oh so fragile and beautiful story of love between inbred maniacs, and took the story in a direction it was originally not meant to go. There seems to be a change from encouraging the reader to figure out the mystery, to talking about how them doing so is a violation and how laying it all bare would bring nothing but misery to the characters. The latter might have been poignant had the characters involved acted like human beings, but the writing never supplies them with the depth needed to that and the revealed murders are hard to take serious. Use of music is still pretty good though.

May wanna spoiler that, mate!

You are LTTP, but yeah, Umineko was a giant disappointment for everyone involved. When ep VI and VII were released the receptions were overall negative, people spent hours trying to find the solution and yet it was basically
"No one could figure that the maid and the butler were the same person". It's not that it was hard to figure, Shkanon was a popular theory since Umineko inception, but the amount of bullshit and work around it required to work (As well "two people are actually the same person" being kinda cheap from a mystery perspective) was so absurd that everyone just dismissed it and treated is a joke.

I think the manga (Episode VIII manga) does a bit of a better job at showing the culprit fall into madness, as well improving everyone characterization, I'm not saying it justified, but I'm saying it is at least more understandable as opposed to the novel in which she appears a spoiled retardo more than anything. (/jp/ reactions about the motive were pretty funny lol)

GnUqYQV.jpg

Some tidips:

cfb0c2M.jpg

zj46sYk.jpg

s7TIou7.jpg

Lm0rK7E.jpg

I suggest reading at least "Our Confession" if you want to know more a bit about it. It's mostly stuff that a lot of people figured already, but it does provide extra characterizations as well showing the whole deal so it's less stupid.

Umineko also suffered from the author head being too much up into his own ass, too much stuff hidden with multiple meanings or that it could mean 100 things and you are no way to check if you were right.
I generally agreed that Yasu was a boy that got his junk crushed and suffered identity disorders because of that, Kyrie was the culprit, etc but there was no way to ultimately "prove" anything. It was really exhausting discussing Umineko back then (I'm talking about 2011 orso) because people just couldn't accept some stuff and that the writing was stupid so they made 2234432 solutions and alternate theories.

Which it's ironic because R07, of all people once wrote this:

GI0RJ8S.png

I noticed a recently picked up a lot of popularity, I've seen people calling it "their favorite mystery" which it's kinda WOAH. Then again, I don't expect most people nowadays to actual read mystery books.

I generally agree with your post by the way, pretty good read.

Did you read Higurashi out of curiosity?

Last edited:

damicore

Augur
Are there any decent to good visual novels with art similar to Yu-No? I'm talking about the pixelated nature of it.
I was thinking of playing Eve Burst Error but only the newer version with shit art is translated.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Are there any decent to good visual novels with art similar to Yu-No? I'm talking about the pixelated nature of it.
I was thinking of playing Eve Burst Error but only the newer version with shit art is translated.
All the old stuff, eve, (original version was translated) Adam, Gloria, divi-dead etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom