Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by felipepepe, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Sure, that is what I thought they'd do with Aselia as well... But JAST

^ Top  
  2. Red Eye Learned

Red Eye
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Softhouse Chara games where you are supposed to start at the EASIEST difficulty, and evade dangerous opponents.

I would like a wizard climber translation.

Who can recognize it?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    ^ Top  
  4. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    PS3 emulation is now perfect 60fps... as long as you want to play a VN:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. amdus Savant

amdus
    Parrots:
    It looks like there's still a chance for an adult version of Aselia.
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...21036/451852118780303007/#c451852118780664432
    Seinarukana home page http://seinarukana.com/
    It seems that Seinarukana will be sold the same way as Littlewitch Romanesque, adult version + steam key from JAST USA/J-LIST shops and cheaper all ages version on Steam.

^ Top  
  6. Red Eye Learned

Red Eye
    Parrots:
    I wouldn't trust JAST to walk my dog.

He'd die before that happens and he's still only a puppy.

^ Top  
  7. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Welcome to few days ago.

^ Top  
  8. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    Started reading Yatohime Zankikou which I randomly found on vndb, p. entertaining and classy.

Two of the waifus are terrible, in particular the cliché osananajimi but that's to be expected.

Not sure if this is true though:

^ Top  
  9. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Refreshing info about Seinarukana and I discovered there is Beat Blades haruka which would be released about the same date. 3/4 of year delay for Seinarkana that's crazy.

^ Top  
  10. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Parrots:
  11. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  12. Martius Savant

Martius
    Parrots:
    So far after few hours Danganronpa on pc seem pretty good. Works without any problem, although there could be option to change voice from english to japanese (or other way around) beyond restarting whole game or chapter or mouse cursor in menu. It still visual novel so its not for everyone, for example it took me around two hours of playtime to unlock first major gameplay moment called "trails".

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    Most Codexian game ever

^ Top  
  14. Red Eye Learned

Red Eye
    Parrots:
    Don't trust her Kuranosuke!

^ Top  
  15. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Since this is the VN recommendation thread, here's my review of Axanael:

Axanael is a comedy of errors set in contemporary Akihabara on New Year's Eve, revolving around a magical revolver that grants wishes to the winners of Russian roulette. The revolver goes missing, and an ensemble cast of colorful characters gets caught up in the chaos. The story is told from the perspectives of each of the six protagonists (a biker gang delinquent, a crossdressing shota, a wannabe detective, a yandere gothloli, a NEET otaku, and a drummist), so the reader often sees events unfold in medias res, and part of the fun is later learning why various characters make appearances or take inexplicable actions. The plot is quite elegantly constructed, with Aristotleian unity of time and place, and there are ten endings of varying resolution.

Unfortunately Axanael doesn't seem to have been very popular, or at least not popular enough to attract a translation project. I think part of the reason is that the design was a little off:

1. Too little guidance

Since there are multiple protagonists, the game allows you to pick and choose which pov you would like to read at any time, and the game won't allow the reader to progress too far along one pov without having caught up with the others. But there are so many characters that it's hard to keep track of everything going on. The game even gives you a map to keep straight in your head where each of the protagonists is at any given time, but it's not very helpful because there are so many side characters involved as well. And then you multiply this with the different events of each story branch, and it becomes a problem.

2. Too little control

While the game allows players to decide the order in which you read each chapter, the player doesn't get to pick the route. At various points, the magical revolver is used, and the game randomly decides the outcome and thus which branch of the story the player goes down. You only get to switch routes after you reach an ending - and when you are on a new route, the same randomness applies. So players could get the True Ending on the first try, or on the last try. If you are like me, and prefer to leave the True End to the last, this is quite infuriating.

3. Blocked content

At the beginning of the game, you get to decide which of the 6 protagonist's back stories to start with. The problem is, you don't get to see the other five back stories until you have cleared the entire game, even though some of the information in the back stories is important in figuring out what is going on. There are also lots of short episodes featuring the side characters that players can only see if they quit the game in the middle of a chapter, or if they clear a route. Which means that it's a pain in the ass to see these in tandem with the story. Fortunately these are mostly unimportant.

I picked this because I wanted to try my hand at reading something untranslated, and I needed the help of text hooking and parser tools (so no console titles), something easy to read for moonrune beginners (so nothing too technical), but interesting enough so that I would want to stick with it (so no slice of life moege). Which basically ruled out all the interesting titles I want to read, like S;G 0. I looked around the chans for suggestions and this seemed to fit the bill: Nitro+ game with a cool premise and lots of style.

As a beginner title, it has a lot going for it:

1) There's relatively little narration, and the dialogue tends to be in short, simple sentences.

2) There is no main protagonist, so all the characters are voiced, which helps in parsing sentences.

3) It has a contemporary setting, so there's no scifi/fantasy vocabulary to figure out. (How the hell am I supposed to get simulacrum from shumikuramu, Baldr Sky?)

4) It's a comedy, so it isn't as important to understand every nuance of every line, as it would be if it were a mystery.

BUT there are elements in this title that make it a little challenging for beginners:

1) Many characters speak in vernacular slang, and the dialogue is written the way it sounds, which means that parsers can't be relied on.

2) One character's dialogue is written entirely in kana, and another uses the equivalent of thees and thous.

3) It's quite long. At 1mb script, it's about as long as Kara no Shoujo, and reading in moon takes at least twice as long for me.

In retrospect, it was a bit too ambitious of me to read something untranslated now, even if it was a beginner title. I'll have to get further with my textbooks before trying another one. S;G 0 will have to wait.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Martius Savant

Martius
    Parrots:
    First screenshots of last Zero Escape.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably these are from vita, I doubt they would manage to make it look that good on 3ds or even new 3.

Also looks like second Danganronpa will come to pc much faster than I would expect. Well, after finishing first one I must say I cant wait for more! Hopefully Another Episode and third mainline game will come up fast too.

^ Top  
  17. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    I looked at lets play of that, and it was considerably worse than the previous. They also screwed up one of main characters.

^ Top  
  18. Martius Savant

Martius
    Parrots:
    Really? Its visual novel so I would think its hard to screw it up unless story sucks. I will probably try it anyway, there is one weak character in first one. With something similar in sequel I can live.

^ Top  
  19. flyingjohn Cipher

flyingjohn
    Parrots:
    Actually i find the sequel much better in every category,especially since there are no Hifumi and Hagakaure type characters.(aka entirely useless and bland)
    The only flaw is how much plot elements are recycled from the first game.

^ Top  
  20. Lucky Arcane

Lucky
    Parrots:
    Seems like Seinarukana got delayed again because they were adding more content, which might be ported over PSP content. I've been told the game's got genuinely good combat, so I'm looking forward to it.

^ Top  
  21. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Frankly go play Eien no Aselia, and get at least two routes. It would be a nice preparation.

^ Top  
  22. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Zero Escape continues to vindicate my decision to get a vita tv. Danganronpa not so much

^ Top  
  23. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Parrots:
    Plot twist: they just want to steal your mana.

^ Top  
  24. Red Eye Learned

Red Eye
    Parrots:
    That fucking last mission

^ Top  
  25. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    Not really a good idea to read too many Wapanese VNs.

You tend to pick up a lot of words that are not very useful in everyday conversation, like 恥垢, 亀頭 or 母胎

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)