Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Martius

Liturgist
Well, from what I heard there are plans to bring previous games to pc but who knows how long it would take. Would be great but Chunsoft probably want to see how well Zero Time Dilemma would sell on steam.

Martius

Liturgist
There is already ios port but from what I heard some content was removed. I guess its the thing you are talking about, could you be more specific in spoiler tag?

flyingjohn

Arcane
No need for spoilers, the only thing that was removed in the ios version were puzzles.Which is a big problem considering that was the only gameplay element.
And the dual screen thing can easily be made for other platforms.

Theldaran

Liturgist
If you wanna play 999, try DraStic on Android. Assuming you can grab a decent tablet or something like that, that is. Or maybe if you have a mammoth phone.

Red Eye

Learned
Would people classify 999 as an adventure game rather than a VN?

TigerKnee

Arcane
Would people classify 999 as an adventure game rather than a VN?
It has puzzles, but I don't remember exploration being there in 999 - even Phoenix Wright has a lot more of that and it's toe-ing the line.

Martius

Liturgist
Looks like I should try Root Double then since I heard good things about Ever17 but never played it.

On the other hand, looks like Spikechunsoft is teasing something again. I wonder what it could be?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Don't get your hopes up,it will probably be the ios version.(which is by far the worst version of 999)

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
1465901564230.jpg

WTF have they done to YUNO

shamefur-dispray-you-must-commit-sudoku.png

iqzulk

Augur
Zero Escape
I can understand where the notion of RD being "thrice bigger" Ever17 comes from. What I don't understand, is the apparent high regard for ZE series (which ARE retardified E17 carbon copies - apparent gimmicky Saw/B-movie visual style nonwithstanding - interspersed with utterly irrelevant to anything story-related CrimsonRoom-like minigames, through and through) that I sort of pick up from your post, in the context of the apparent bashing of RD.

I mean, the B route of RD, the one, the pace of which you so disliked (despite the second half of D, not to mention the entirety of Xtend Episode, being much slower, due to all the RAM-fuckery), had a definite twist to it, a twist, that neither of the Infinity games, nor I/O, nor 999/VLR, nor PunchLine, had. And Nakazawa's I/O itself, again, featured a very definite twist of itself, which didn't have anything, at all, in common with, again, anything aforementioned. That's some creativity, don't you think? Did VLR have very much of such creativity? Well, other than reusing some of E17's twists in a particularly retarded manner (*cough* mirror twist *cough*) and making every character a badly modelled and rendered slapstick-comedy-level-assclown, well, it did feature some semblance of a, sort of, futuristic post-apocalyptic setting to it. Hard to tell, really, when the whole thing is, like, shown in a couple of glimpses before "to be continued" and jumping back 30 years so that it's neither futuristic nor post-apocalyptic anymore. Oh, by the way, you know this one thing I/O had in its 3,5MB script and RD had in its 5MB script? Lots of worldbuilding. Loads and spades of worldbuilding. Like, 15x to 20x amount of worldbuilding VLR had to itself in its wildest dreams.

Also, A route was basically R11's Kokoro's route "on fire" - mixed, yes, with E17, and, well, less creepy when compared to some of R11's bad endings.

And, yes, calling a VN with a 5MB script, and 8 years from the first ideas to the release of the Xtend version "lazy" is just, yeah, well, not every VN can be a majestic masterpiece like teh glorious VLR, eh?

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I thought the limousine scene was p. fun.

In other news:

We bring some good news on week of E3. The Labyrinth of Grisaia is now in final QA checks by both Frontwing and us. We’re aiming for a release next week if everything checks out fine.

---

Arcane

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, the only reason to play Zero games is for shocking revelations and stupid twists, so honestly, that doesn't sound too bad. I look forward to SuperGreatFriend Let's Playing it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Port of 999 officially announced at the developers' Anime Expo panel:

Also:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom