Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Virgin Post

Toraak

Literate
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I first stumbled upon this place shortly after Oblivion was released. Game was utter shit but this was the only place I found that shared my opinion. In my lurking adventures, I stumbled upon Retardo Land or whatever it's called and suffered temporary (permanent?) brain damage. Now I'm back and ready for more!

tl;dr - I was bored so I signed up yesterday.

kintake

Savant
Came here for an Albion let's play, still waiting for the conclusion to it, since I want to know if I just fucked everything up in the end segment of the Toronto, as everything was shit there and the game dragged on forever in endless stupid battles with A.I's
Stayed when I found the ramblings of Cleve, near everyone thought he was a madman when he talked of penisaurases and sex dungeons with nubile and innocent boys, turned out he was right all along, so when he finally released Grimoire I had to register just to be part of the new collective consciousness. My mind has been raped, my body left shattered many a times, but my will to push ever on will never be broken. I live with the battle, as a soldier sleeping with his ass against the wall every night, my very existence haunted yet rigid.

Toraak

Literate
Not really a top ten but here is what I've played.

cRPGs
----------
Morrowind - played on and off since 2003 but never finished
Darklands - tried it last year and enjoyed it; didn't finish
Baldur's Gate - tried it a few years ago; good
Baldur's Gate 2 - 1st cRPG; played it in high school; good
Neverwinter Nights - played it in early 2000s; ok
Knights of the Old Republic - played it in early 2000s; ok
Arena - tried it a few years ago but didn't finish; good
Daggerfall - tried it a few years ago but didn't finish; good
Oblivion - tried it when it came out; shit game
Eschalon Book 1 - not sure how I came across it; too easy
Might and Magic 1 - attempted a few years ago; clueless

Console
----------
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1/2 - liked the co-op play in early 2000s
Dragon Warrior (NES) - too much grind; never finished
Final Fantasy (SNES) - can't remember which one; it was ok

My list is pretty weak so I'm hoping to add some good ones from pre-2000. I didn't have a computer before 1999-2000 so I missed a lot of great stuff. I'm pretty autistic and need to play the game straight through because if I take a break, then I lose interest or get restartitis. Also, I have a weakness for power gaming.

I'm sure I may have tried some more during the early 2000s but I can't remember them.

Toraak

Literate
I also like some strategy games (map painters): Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis III, Civilization IV.

I haven't played CK2 or EU4 due to DLC mania...

I tried Civ5 and hated it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

REEEEEEEEEEE.jpg

janior

Arcane
Vatnik

cRPGs
----------

Console
----------

My list is pretty weak so I'm hoping to add some good ones from pre-2000. I didn't have a computer before 1999-2000 so I missed a lot of great stuff. I'm pretty autistic and need to play the game straight through because if I take a break, then I lose interest or get restartitis. Also, I have a weakness for power gaming.

I'm sure I may have tried some more during the early 2000s but I can't remember them.
meh

ArchAngel

Arcane

cRPGs
----------

Console
----------

This list is missing Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment and Underrail. Get on it BOY!

Latro

Arcane
in addition to playing inteprlay/bioware games, you need to ask MCA 5 questions; if he answers at least one we'll accept you, if he answers none, you die!!!!!

Bigg Boss

Arcane
such a tease

come on mate, lift your skirt and tell us your top ten rpgs

Fallout 1 - the series that introduced me to the genre on PC's.
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Planescape
Earthbound - my first RPG and still replayable today.
KotOR 2
Morrowind
Jagged Alliance 2
Final Fantasy Tactics - one of the least gay FF games.
Diablo - ARPG but it doesn't matter. It has lore, atmosphere, and damn good combat/character building. Besides if JRPG's count then this should count.

Vagrant Story deserves a shoutout along with Anachronox, The Witcher, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Why do they not get a spot? Vampire was too broken to beat. Anachronox had horrible combat that was frequent. The Witcher didn't compel me enough to finish.

I love these games so much rationality breaks down forcing me to list the three good Fallout RPG's and two JRPG's. Fallout Tactics is cool but too broken to add. Might and Magic 3 deserves a mention for getting me into RPG's hardcore, but I never liked grids and maps and nothing but combat.

I dislike Baldur's Gate due to the setting but I acknowledge it's greatness. Arcanum I am going to play soon almost certainly taking one of the lesser quality games on the list. I have been saving it for a time when I am starved for games. I would like to try Geneforge, Serpent in the Staglands, Darklands, and a few more that slip my mind. I need to beat Alpha Protocol come to think of it. If we degenerate further into "NotaRPG" territory System Shock popped my cherry on FMV.

Wasteland 2 was too generic story wise, the combat was not as in depth as I liked, and many of the areas were downright boring, so it doesn't get a spot on this most awesome list.

Listing them all down like that (along with consulting the Top Codex RPG's - Wizardry, and Ultima always turned me off due to the setting but I know they are good) you start to realize how few of these games there really are. I could go into JRPG's and list a few more that aren't downright shit like Saga Frontier 2, and Xenogears but even then most are awful.

Dishonorable mentions: Final Fantasy VI and Super Mario RPG.

Can we fuck now?

Edit: Oh yeah Underrail is good but I am not a combat fag. I got bored halfway through and decided to wait for DLC to finish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom