Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Vigilantes Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Timeslip Softworks; Vigilantes

Vigilantes, the groovy modern day crimefighting tactical RPG from Timeslip's Timeslip Softworks, went out of Early Access today - a day earlier than expected. It must be a scary thing releasing an indie RPG right on the heels of September Madness, but Timeslip has done his best, even going through four iterations of the launch trailer before he was satisfied with the result. It's similar to the Early Access trailer from last year, but offers more of a look at the game's systems and also some dialogue (including skill checks!). I'll post the trailer here along with the description from Steam:

Vigilantes is a combat focused, turn-based tactical RPG set in the declining, crime riddled city of Reiker. The game offers hardcore squad-level combat in a gritty neo-noir setting, intel gathering through surveillance and interrogation, a detailed character system, base building, crafting, and much more.

Key Features
  • Party-Based Tactical Combat System, including lethal and non-lethal attacks, powerful perk-based activated abilities, attacks of opportunity, cover, aimed and special attacks.
  • Deep Character System: build the ultimate crime-fighting team using the UPLIFT system which comprises 6 stats, 9 skills and allows for a variety of viable builds. Further customise your characters with over 60 perks.
  • Gather Intel: Run surveillance and interrogate defeated enemies to locate each gang's leadership and facilities.
  • Adversary System: If an enemy manages to flee, they will become more powerful and you will have to face them again later. Take them down quick!
  • Reactive AI: An enemy that reacts to your actions, by setting up ambushes, and is responsible for recruitment, building facilities, improving gang equipment and training.
  • Crafting: Upgrade weapons from 9 distinct classes and craft special items, such as hot-loaded ammo, armour, and medical items.
  • Base Building: Build and upgrade 5 facilities (gym, library, firing range, surgery, workshop) to gain bonuses and access advanced crafting options.
  • Story: Experience the hard-boiled story of a group of vigilantes waging war against the overwhelming might of the criminal underworld. Gain advantages in combat through skill checks and choices in dialogue, and help out citizens in need.

There's plenty more information about Vigilantes in Timeslip's vast archive of development update videos. If you're looking for a tactical RPG that's unique and also cheap, you can grab it on Steam for just $15, with a 10% launch discount until next week.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Fresh coverage from SplatterCatGaming, if you want to have a look at the game.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I'm probably going to fall asleep at my post pretty soon, but if anyone has any questions or wants to have a chat about the game, just leave a post.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
300 hours of backlog and no time to play. Uh oh.

Also, no groin shots? This game has no honor.

You'll just have to up your game, Haba

This is madness!
so, is the madness over, or are we looking at October madness?

Yeah, it's a grim time to launch as a tiny indie. Was really afraid 4 years of work was just going to get buried. Working out okay though :)

dqaL0uV.png

Timeslip GoG release when?
I approached them and they declined. You can get a DRM free version from the website, though:

Risewild

Arbiter
I approached them and they declined. You can get a DRM free version from the website, though:
It's a pity that the community wishlist for Vigilantes only has 128 votes. I remember voting on it almost two years ago. :negative:

Anyway, if anyone around here wants to vote for it on GOG.com, here is the link for the Vigilantes community wishlist:
https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/vigilantes?as=1649904300
If anyone's on reddit, would you consider giving this thread an upvote - it's helping with visibility!
Upvoted.

I own the game since last year (I think I told you over at the No Mutants Allowed already), it is pretty nice. Hope your game will be a great success. :salute:

Last edited by a moderator:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
It's a pity that the community wishlist for Vigilantes only has 128 votes. I remember voting on it almost two years ago. :negative:

Anyway, if anyone around here wants to vote for it on GOG.com, here is the link for the Vigilantes community wishlist:
https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/vigilantes?as=1649904300

Upvoted.

I own the game since last year (I think I told you over at the No Mutants Allowed already), it is pretty nice. Hope your game will be a great success. :salute:

Hey Risewild, yeah remember chatting to you there. Part of the problem may have been that the post showed a Kickstarter era video, but GOG are just picky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Putting aside the customer's perspective for a moment, what's your preference as the seller? Presumably Valve takes a bite out of your sandwich for goods sold on their store, so buying direct from the linked website gives you an immediate full sandwich. On the other hand, buying from Steam keeps Vigilantes in the trending tab a little longer to tempt other potential buyers, meaning you could be trading your sandwich in for a whole stack of them.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Putting aside the customer's perspective for a moment, what's your preference as the seller? Presumably Valve takes a bite out of your sandwich for goods sold on their store, so buying direct from the linked website gives you an immediate full sandwich. On the other hand, buying from Steam keeps Vigilantes in the trending tab a little longer to tempt other potential buyers, meaning you could be trading your sandwich in for a whole stack of them.

Hey Mark. I almost exclusively link the Steam page any time I post about the game. The DRM free is really for people who don't like Steam. Yep, Valve takes a bite, but as far as I'm concerned, they deserve it. I get that many people don't like Valve's open door policy, but they're pretty good at filtering out the crap. They give your game a shot, and if it doesn't work, it gets little visibility. They do give you a shot though, and this is a big thing for small studios. If Valve curated like other distributors, maybe deciding that the game doesn't seem to be selling enough, or that the graphics aren't flashy enough, I'd probably be closing up shop about now.

TLDR: I'll trade a bite of a few sandwiches for a shot at a stack at them :)

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
So sad to hear about GOG:negative: Hope they will reconsider later on.

It would better work as a hard counter against cultist crowd control status effects.

Have been considering a melee/survivability perk of that nature.

You have it all upside down. Melee/survivability perk would better increase damage and atheism would increase one mental defense against cultists tricks.
Well it's up to interpretation and practicality. If by crowd control is meant a limited area around churcher's leaders that debuffs stats, then makes sense to me that such perk would be more likely taken by characters who prefer personal approach (i.e. melee) or who'd be rather safe than sorry (i.e. survivability).

That said, nobody says a perk has to have only one function, unless that's by design. Atheist might deal extra damage as well as shield against CC of churchers, if it makes sense (as this one is character specific).

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
I've been playing the game for a few hours.

So far I'm enjoying it a lot. Really, really liking the Noir aspects of its presentation.

Also, no groin shots? This game has no honor.
honorv6f8k.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom