Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

orcinator

Liturgist
Sorry to hear you didn't like it. Would you like to provide a concrete explanation for why you felt the combat is terrible?

Do I really have to explain why a combat system with no options aside from [attack] is terrible?

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Your main objection is that there is only a single type of attack for unarmed/melee weapons?

Cholo

Arcane
Just found out about this game today, demo was a lot of fun! Good luck with development, its nice to see games like this getting made.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Among other things. Xcom:EU except with everything removed is not a good combat system.

Ah, I'm guessing you are moreso talking about class based abilities in XCom:EU. There are no classes in Vigilantes, rather skills increase due to use. There will be some abilities (the only one at present is Adrenaline) which is unlocked through a perk. There will be more, but not as many as EU. They are fundamentally different approaches: EU offers no real control over character stats / skills / perks, but rather allows you to pick abilities, whereas Vigilantes takes a more old school approach and gives more control over stats/skills/perks and weapons.

Vigilantes has more in common with older tactical RPGs (such as the original X-Com and Fallout games) than XCom:EU. Ranged weapons currently have multiple fire modes depending on the type of weapon. This is absent from XCom:EU, but was the extent of the attack variety in the original XCOM, which to me is a pretty solid combat system. It's also worth noting that there's no melee combat in EU, so I don't think combat in Vigilante can be reduced to "EU except with everything removed" - they are doing different things.

Melee/unarmed will either have multiple attack modes or will have status effects. I can appreciate that this won't be to everyone's liking: some prefer old school mechanics, others prefer more modern ones.

Now that I have a better understanding (I hope - please correct me if I'm wrong) of the reasons you didn't like combat in the demo, I'm fairly sure if you didn't find anything to like in the demo, it's not very likely that final game will be something you will enjoy.

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Windows, Linux and Mac builds of Vigilantes version 11 are now uploaded on Humble. Hope you enjoy!

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know what is big budget? Dragon Age Inquisition! You know what is low budget? Legend of Grimrock. I know which I'd rather play.
Low budget here was an euphemism for not good. I didn't want to hurt dev's feelings. :shittydog:

Windows, Linux and Mac builds of Vigilantes version 11 are now uploaded on Humble. Hope you enjoy!
Link please?

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Consider my feelings hurt... a lot. Oh well, can't win 'em all - at least the let's player enjoyed it @ 4:34
There was some weird lighting after that from the game being played at lowest quality settings.

Demo version is no longer being updated. If you backed on KS or bought, you should have received a link for the download. Let me know if you haven't and I'll send it on once am done crying.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
If you aren't seeing Vigilantes in humble, try this. They don't seem to automatically add gifted games to the account:

1) Go to purchases
2) At top, you should see "You have unclaimed purchases"
3) Click down arrow beside this text
4) Vigilantes should appear in this list
5) Press Claim Order

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Thanks!

Ha, I'd clocked up 11 hours by the time I made the video. Was pretty tired. I'll do my best to sound full of pep next time :)

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
Vigilantes has more in common with older tactical RPGs (such as the original X-Com and Fallout games) than XCom:EU. Ranged weapons currently have multiple fire modes depending on the type of weapon. This is absent from XCom:EU, but was the extent of the attack variety in the original XCOM, which to me is a pretty solid combat system. It's also worth noting that there's no melee combat in EU, so I don't think combat in Vigilante can be reduced to "EU except with everything removed" - they are doing different things.

I made the comparison because I saw the cover system looked the same and it seems to be similar to other Xcom:EU inspired tactics games that have very little depth like Wasteland 2. You can't compare your game with the original X-com when the only thing you have in common is the lack of attack options, and that was compensated in X-com by having LOS and a destructible environment among many, many other things, while your game has... stats.

Melee/unarmed will either have multiple attack modes or will have status effects.

This just reinforces my claim that you don't really know how to make your very basic combat system not suck.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Here's the next development video, which covers the mechanical changes in Vigilantes version 11. Hope you enjoy! Onwards and upwards!

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
It is like a single player MMO, but not a good one. And the combat is all about pressing a button and watching everything explode.

You callled it. Couldn't get into it. Felt like I spent most of the 4 hours time wrestling with the camera, or trying to tweak the settings to make the camera more managable. At a loss as to why they didn't keep the control/camera scheme from Origins. Minor quibbles with not being able to allocate stat points, super fast cooldowns requiring constant attention & no healing, but likely would have enjoyed it otherwise.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah :/ I actually played it for quite a while, maybe 15-20 hours or so. The graphics are gorgeous, especially to me because I got a new graphics card so haven't been used to stuff like that. But I mainly kept playing to see if the combat would get more interesting, but it never did. And the story bored me and it all got so repetitive so I just quit.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Yeah :/ I actually played it for quite a while, maybe 15-20 hours or so. The graphics are gorgeous, especially to me because I got a new graphics card so haven't been used to stuff like that. But I mainly kept playing to see if the combat would get more interesting, but it never did. And the story bored me and it all got so repetitive so I just quit.

It's a shame. And a surprise. Seems to have gotten a lot of positive press.

Just play Realms of Arkania HD.
Will look it up, cheers. Have the expansion pack for the original dragon age, and got underrail from the WL3 campaign, so should find something to like in one of those.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

It's a shame. And a surprise. Seems to have gotten a lot of positive press.

Pretty sure most of that was paid for.

If you haven't played Divinity Original Sin yet, you should get that asap. It gives hope that CRPG's aren't dead. It actually doesn't do a very good job of some things like the story and dialogue, but it does a really great job of other things, especially the combat which is fantastic and revolutionary.

Also Blackguards is a must play if you like tactical stuff. And Age of Wonders 3. (or the first one).

Some older stuff I am really enjoying at the moment, (which is rare for me :p): Hitman: Blood Money, I loved this at release and I'm playing it again and it is still awesome. Battlestations Pacific - deserved to be a bigger hit. Space Rangers HD A War Apart - really great game for a lot of reasons. Forged Alliance Forever. etc

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Pretty sure most of that was paid for.

If you haven't played Divinity Original Sin yet, you should get that asap. It gives hope that CRPG's aren't dead. It actually doesn't do a very good job of some things like the story and dialogue, but it does a really great job of other things, especially the combat which is fantastic and revolutionary.

Also Blackguards is a must play if you like tactical stuff. And Age of Wonders 3. (or the first one).

Really liked Original Sin. Haven't tried Blackguards, seems to get a very mixed response.

indie game developer have money?

:hug:

Jk jk

I think the last full price game I bought was Diablo III. It's no laughing matter :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom