Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
7c8f33a892140d094dbf29a687f4996b_original.png

A decent artist who isn't a hipster and is hot to boot? :shredder:

Also, backed.

What can I say. Timeslip Softworks is a classy outfit : ) Thanks for the support udm!

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the right way to run a kickstarter. Good luck Timeslip, I hope that you'll succeed and stay humble and eager to listen to and respond to the communities. It's not a sure way to success but it is a sure way to at the very least, fail with dignity :salute:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
This is the right way to run a kickstarter. Good luck Timeslip, I hope that you'll succeed and stay humble and eager to listen to and respond to the communities. It's not a sure way to success but it is a sure way to at the very least, fail with dignity :salute:

Thanks Plane Escapee! I've gotten quite a lot of feedback for Vigilantes (and my last game) and there's no doubt that it's resulted in better games. Working on something for 1000s of hours erodes your ability to see a it objectively, and even obvious flaws can be easily missed.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, it seems that infamous villain and friendly neighbourhood clansman, Brother None has backed you. With a bit of luck, you'll have Brian Fargo and the rest of InXile Entertainment tweeting praise of your game and kickstarter in the weeks to come (!)

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Also, it seems that infamous villain and friendly neighbourhood clansman, Brother None has backed you. With a bit of luck, you'll have Brian Fargo and the rest of InXile Entertainment tweeting praise of your game and kickstarter in the weeks to come (!)

Brother None also gave me a lot of good advice for the Kickstarter. It was a huge help and I'm very grateful for all his help.

Aye good luck.
Thanks Neanderthal!

Neanderthal

Arcane
Looks like Fargo an InXile have stolen your thunder wi latest announcement, saw a post about your game on Obsidian forums Kickstarter thread though so looks like words gettin out.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Thanks Plane Escapee! I've gotten quite a lot of feedback for Vigilantes (and my last game) and there's no doubt that it's resulted in better games. Working on something for 1000s of hours erodes your ability to see a it objectively, and even obvious flaws can be easily missed.
Obvious flaw I can see is that everyone seems to use Kung Fu kicks for close combat. Please switch that to punches and leave kung fu for only specific types of enemies. Most buffed up enforcers probably cannot even raise their legs that high. But they can probably punch out average people in 1 or 2 hits.

EDIT: Also have a penalty for people using guns in a way they will produce noise that will have some penalties. Or a bonus in some missions where using silent weaker weapons has a purpose.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Backed, this is of interest.

But is it jus tme or melee > firearms? Mostly due to prohibitive cost of equipment. Played only first 3 missions though.

EDIT: Also - switching characters on all screens (eg. shop & crafting) would be beneficial. Now if I want the crafter to craft I need to go to character screen, switch, go to crafting. Trader to trade.. same.

A shop that doesn't separate buy from sell would also be nice, especially if it would also take in consideration equipped items as for sale (maybe with indicator its equipped). Unequipping stuff to sell it is another busywork.

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Looks like Fargo an InXile have stolen your thunder wi latest announcement, saw a post about your game on Obsidian forums Kickstarter thread though so looks like words gettin out.

Ha, that's okay so long as it's Wasteland 3. Really enjoyed 2. Do you happen to remember the address for the forum, might pop in and say hello : )

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Obvious flaw I can see is that everyone seems to use Kung Fu kicks for close combat. Please switch that to punches and leave kung fu for only specific types of enemies. Most buffed up enforcers probably cannot even raise their legs that high. But they can probably punch out average people in 1 or 2 hits.

EDIT: Also have a penalty for people using guns in a way they will produce noise that will have some penalties. Or a bonus in some missions where using silent weaker weapons has a purpose.

The everyone being a martial artist is something that's crossed my mind. I was considering restricting the more fancy moves to characters with a high close combat skill. It would require some looking at though, as when a melee attack starts, it does a lot of checking for attack direction, defender weapon type, not knocking defender through cover if knocked out, and animations which pair convincingly with the attack. If no attack can be found, it uses a "fallback animation" which doesn't look as good, but ticks all the boxes.

As to firearms, I was considering giving pistols, smgs and shotguns a buff for interior levels. I considered stealth, but since it's largely out of the player's control i.e. the first enemy opens fire with a shotgun, and everyone is alerted, I didn't think it would function very well.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Speaking about enforcer or bouncer types: is there grabbing moves?
Or non-lethal weapons like mace or pepper spray?

There's no grappling at present. It is possible, but I can't guarantee it. A lot of the time, it's difficult to foresee the problems a new mechanic might give rise to, until you start working on it.

Items like mace and pepper spray could be considered. Each weapon can be used with lethal intent, giving it a damage bonus, but if the attacked character's HP < 0, they die. Each weapon also has a minimum lethality, so with certain weapons, there's a chance you will kill the target, even if you are using it non lethally. Basically, if you want to be the good guy, it's going to make the game a little more difficult.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Backed, this is of interest.

But is it jus tme or melee > firearms? Mostly due to prohibitive cost of equipment. Played only first 3 missions though.

Thanks for your support. It's possible, and it's something I'll be looking at. Melee does have the disadvantage of exposing the character to attack, but the benefit of not losing cth if the target is in cover. Firearm cth is going to be a little low early game. I suspect that the merits of each will be situational. If you are looking for a good weapon, try the Normandy with hotloaded ammo. It can put down a lot of enemies with a single shot.

EDIT: Also - switching characters on all screens (eg. shop & crafting) would be beneficial. Now if I want the crafter to craft I need to go to character screen, switch, go to crafting. Trader to trade.. same.

A shop that doesn't separate buy from sell would also be nice, especially if it would also take in consideration equipped items as for sale (maybe with indicator its equipped). Unequipping stuff to sell it is another busywork.

The way I've set it up, is that you buy, sell, craft from the home inventory. The idea being that you put everything you want to work with in there, so you don't need to switch characters. At present, all crafting checks are made against the main character's skill. A single buy/sell is something I could look at. Their are hot keys and filters for moving items quicker. Hold down shift to move in increments of 5, and ctrl to move the entire stack. I'm hoping to reduce some of the busy work, by adding a reload all and repair all equpped items function. Thanks for the feedback!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hi all,

How's it going? Wanted to drop in to give an update on how Vigilantes KS and Greenlight are going. After 60 hours, 24% of our modest funding goal has been met on Kickstarter. On Greenlight, we are 44% of the way to the top 100, with 54% yes votes, which is roughly in line with a top 50 submission. It's a good enough start, but Steam has drastically reduced the number of voters it is sending our way. Hopefully the Kickstarter fall off won't be quite as drastic :) If you aren't logged into Steam, there are quite a few steps involved in voting for a game, so it might be better to try to reach out to people already logged into Steam.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hi all,

How's it going? Wanted to drop in to give an update on how Vigilantes KS and Greenlight are going. After 60 hours, 24% of our modest funding goal has been met on Kickstarter. On Greenlight, we are 44% of the way to the top 100, with 54% yes votes, which is roughly in line with a top 50 submission. It's a good enough start, but Steam has drastically reduced the number of voters it is sending our way. Hopefully the Kickstarter fall off won't be quite as drastic :) If you aren't logged into Steam, there are quite a few steps involved in voting for a game, so it might be better to try to reach out to people already logged into Steam.

PNraIDG.jpg

Already voted. I always prefer tactics turn based games where I don't have to make the entire goddamn thing myself.
Good luck on the rest.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Voted for Greenlight, I'm looking forward to see where this game is going.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Backed, I both like the look of this and appreciate you're not asking for millions on the back of concept art and daydreams.

I'd have to echo the comments on the kung-fu kicking though. It looks a bit incongruous to have these gangster-types who should be slugging it out with each other like prizefighters, performing roundhouse kicks like somebody from a cheesy 90's straight-to-video flick with 'ninja' in the title.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Already voted. I always prefer tactics turn based games where I don't have to make the entire goddamn thing myself. Good luck on the rest.

Thanks FuriousGamer87! I notice you're working on something in the same ballpark. It's tough going. I'll check out your demo.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Voted for Greenlight, I'm looking forward to see where this game is going.

Thanks for the vote, SionIV!

Backed, I both like the look of this and appreciate you're not asking for millions on the back of concept art and daydreams.

I'd have to echo the comments on the kung-fu kicking though. It looks a bit incongruous to have these gangster-types who should be slugging it out with each other like prizefighters, performing roundhouse kicks like somebody from a cheesy 90's straight-to-video flick with 'ninja' in the title.

Thank you Shackleton. Yeah, it's very much a passion project. For my part, I've cut my cost of living down to a fairly spartan level to maximise the amount of time I can work on Vigilantes.

Have thought about this a few times also. I'll have a look at restricting the more flashy moves to characters with a certain skill level in close combat. Have to check a few things, but it shouldn't be a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom