Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

anus_pounder

Arcane
Congrats on the Early Access release, friends. Here's to a smooth path to full release (early 2018?).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Would likely add the ability to assign an ally to speed up construction.
Anything else planned that allies could do outside of combat?

Was considering the possibility of sending them on surveillance ops - not sure if this would be that useful though.
How many allies can you have all in all, not just in combat? I liked the way Final Fantasy Tactics did it when it came to units not deployed in combat. Send them out to gain some JP and equipment.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
How many allies can you have all in all, not just in combat? I liked the way Final Fantasy Tactics did it when it came to units not deployed in combat. Send them out to gain some JP and equipment.

6 is likely, with a max 3 in combat. They gain a level when you do, so there's no gaining XP. Will keep the idea of them raiding enemy for equipment in mind with the surveillance/intel. If this ends up being implemented, it's likely that that ally operations will take much longer than yours, and gain relatively less intel. Part of what I'm concerned about here is ruining the pace of the game for players who want to min/max, and to do so will have to continually send allies out on operations / add and remove them from the active team when they are doing their own surveillance/ add them again. Having to do this every couple of hours of game time for multiple allies would probably end up feeling like clerical work.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

6 is likely, with a max 3 in combat. They gain a level when you do, so there's no gaining XP. Will keep the idea of them raiding enemy for equipment in mind with the surveillance/intel. If this ends up being implemented, it's likely that that ally operations will take much longer than yours, and gain relatively less intel. Part of what I'm concerned about here is ruining the pace of the game for players who want to min/max, and to do so will have to continually send allies out on operations / add and remove them from the active team when they are doing their own surveillance/ add them again. Having to do this every couple of hours of game time for multiple allies would probably end up feeling like clerical work.
You are correct. Something like my idea should only be implemented if you have many units on the sidelines. Otherwise, it's not really worth it.

ushas

Savant
You can make each deployment last a mandatory time period: 5-10 days, for example. Making it commitment.

Could it work on the citiscape, i.e. planting an ally on a district? Maybe, apart steadily generating intel on various gang's holdings, can also periodically lower crime rate and number of gangsters on tile, earn money based on district's wealth, or steal a piece of equipment here or there... But perhaps also have a nonzero chance (based on tile) to obtain a higher level intel? Additionally: gang can beat up or abduct this ally. And then hold in one of the rackets (we will get him back after finding and attacking it, where he may work as a joinable NPC). Or eventually, if we're wanted, the ally can be arrested (need to pay bail to get back). But yeah it would have to be worth. I dunno.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
You are correct. Something like my idea should only be implemented if you have many units on the sidelines. Otherwise, it's not really worth it.

Adding to what allies can do could be an interesting angle, and certainly not opposed to it. Would need to take them out of play for a decent amount of time (maybe 1 day or more) so it doesn't turn into an administrative burden, and their operations would have to provide a meaningful contribution. Deciding what to ideas to pursue can be difficult with many ideas and not so much time :)

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
You can make each deployment last a mandatory time period: 5-10 days, for example. Making it commitment.

Could it work on the citiscape, i.e. planting an ally on a district? Maybe, apart steadily generating intel on various gang's holdings, can also periodically lower crime rate and number of gangsters on tile, earn money based on district's wealth, or steal a piece of equipment here or there... But perhaps also have a nonzero chance (based on tile) to obtain a higher level intel? Additionally: gang can beat up or abduct this ally. And then hold in one of the rackets (we will get him back after finding and attacking it, where he may work as a joinable NPC).

Hard to say how it might work yet, but if it turns out to be a good feature to pursue/there is time, you could either direct them to a tile, or provide them with a more general objective (like get intel on a lieutenant, or racket). Maybe they could turn up information on special encounters (like the survivalist bank robbery encounter). Allowing them to gain intel on a lieutenant could be useful, depending on how balanced the rate at which you can get intel on lieutenants ends up being. Allies being captured is something have considered (in this case, if they are incapacitated and you flee). Difficult to call how likely this is at the minute.

Or eventually, if we're wanted, the ally can be arrested (need to pay bail to get back). But yeah it would have to be worth. I dunno.
This will likely be added to the first DLC, "Sam's Day in Court", where a masked Sam, acting as defense attempts to get his allies off on technicalities and insanity pleas.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If at all you send them out on surveillance, the build of the ally should affect the intel gained. Like one of your gunners will be able to give more accurate intel on the capacities of enemy gunners, but know diddly squat about the close combat types. Plus any other suitably high support skills would give you relevant intel, like high healing/surgery/medicine skill(haven't played in a while) could tell you how capable the enemies are of recovering from your attacks and so on.

ushas

Savant
Ally/skill influencing outcome or its volume sounds interesting.
Then they may also have a twist. For example, Elena leaving dead in her path if you let her pursue survivalists.

Hard to say how it might work yet, but if it turns out to be a good feature to pursue/there is time, you could either direct them to a tile, or provide them with a more general objective (like get intel on a lieutenant, or racket). Maybe they could turn up information on special encounters (like the survivalist bank robbery encounter).
Naturally, there is never enough ideas to pursue... I can imagine you need to weight whether fits well with the campaign. Just upping # of ways how to obtain intel on a lieutenant doesn't necessarily add to anything.

There is some strategical potential. We are weakening gangs, but can only do it by taking a battle after battle in serial manner. Given, it's pretty effective, esp. when targeting tiles wisely. However, enemies themselves are managing several districts at once (around 16 tiles each gang?). So it won't be bad to have some ways to spread our influence in parallel too. It doesn't have to be an ally on a mission. Maybe we can influence local NPCs, give tips for police raids, do bribery machinations? Or just the stronger the reputation the more prominent spacetime tail shadowing our battles. Or if the base has home address -> influencing the neighborhood. Etc.

On the other hand, one does not need to aim at weakening gangs to win (though perhaps they are more willing to sing if their team is loosing?). So I'm not sure if musing in this direction is useful at all.

Or eventually, if we're wanted, the ally can be arrested
This will likely be added to the first DLC, "Sam's Day in Court", where a masked Sam, acting as defense attempts to get his allies off on technicalities and insanity pleas.
Looking forward to Olga's illustration for the DLC. Will he enter the court holding skis so nobody suspects anything amiss at first? Actually, it would be nice to introduce skis as a new reach weapon.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Have left a field in each item for minimum lethality, current plan is to have a % chance of killing with things like grenades, even on non lethal. Biggest concern here is that don't want to restrict the weapon choices too much for players who want to go non-lethal route.
One possibility to mitigate the effects of "unwanted" killing could be giving player change to give first aid to dying enemies after battle.
Something along the lines of: "[enemy name] is dying. Do you want to give him first aid so he might survive? Y/N?"
Add medical skill check and cost of trauma kit(s).

Using allies for surveillance might be a good idea as long as you must commit them for the operation (lets say minimum 72 hours) and there might be change to be injured during op.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Something similar was suggested, except you would apply first aid during combat (I think). A simple UI prompt would be a more efficient way of implementing this though - will keep it in mind.

If ally missions does end up being added, it's likely it would work along the lines you described.

ushas

Savant
Something similar was suggested, except you would apply first aid during combat (I think).
In case it was me, prob. was thinking about a medic with spec. perk and more options like giving first aid to allies and enemies alike. But that would be more suitable for destined to die anyway. Already downed units aren't targetable, IIRC?

A simple UI prompt would be a more efficient way of implementing this though - will keep it in mind.
Looks also handy in case expanding the interrogation screen is planned. Wouldn't people expect to be able to interrogate though? It may look strange to get an unfavorable roll for a suitable subject after just revived one.

Using in a scenario: the initial conversation says there is a gravely wounded NPC and you're given an opportunity to try patch him up. If the check is successful then can finish enemies at leisure, otherwise there will be a strict limit in # of turns if you want to save his life.

On different note, what if having an ally or a perk on the team has a secondary influence or offers alternatives? Specializations emerging where it makes some sense (but only when easy to do). Crude examples:
-- Elena has grudge against survivalists, so she can have bonus (esp. with roulette) when interrogating them.
-- Ray's eye for weakness, dunno, perhaps he slightly lowers difficulty of all rolls against enemies in conversation? (so with him it's easier to pass "[Presence] Distract enemies" as well as "[Firearms] Fire at the enemy" checks)...
-- Perks such as Insult or Intimidating giving an inherit bonus to a subset of [Presence] options that have insulting or intimidating connotations, respectively.
Etc. I'm sure there are better examples to come with.

Btw. a bribery option in interrogation [Trade]? Can also be used in some scenarios. But make it very expensive.
Then maybe a secondary feature of some perk would be lowering the cost of successful bribery.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2143012757607813837

Vigilantes Version 21 Released!
8 NOVEMBER - TIMESLIP
Hi everyone,

The V21 update for Vigilantes is now available, introducing new features, content, balancing improvements and fixes. In the latest update, the hunter becomes the hunted with gang lieutenants setting up ambushes for the player. The environment can be used against the enemy with the addition of gas canisters and fuel barrels, and you can take the fight underground with the introduction of the first subway map!

ed4f1a4c6a076d85bb712b4dffb49860731280c6.jpg

A survivalist captain ambushes the player team!

The release notes for this update can be found below, and a more in-depth explanation of the additions and improvements can be found in these two development videos.

1.jpg

YouTube™ Video: Vigilantes Dev Video 42: Ambushes and Exploding Red Barrels
Views: 7
This video covers the 2nd half of the work carried out for the Vigilantes V21 release, which is now available from Steam and Humble.

1.jpg

YouTube™ Video: Vigilantes Dev Video 41: Version 21 Interim update
Views: 55
This video covers the changes made to date on Vigilantes version 21, which will be available in around 2 weeks. Additions and improvements include a new map, improved tactical re-positioning,...

Features
+ Gang lieutenants can set up ambushes for the player
+ Fuel barrels and gas canisters as objects can be activated to set an area on fire or explode
+ Characters with 2 or more adjacent enemies gain the surrounded status effect. Being surrounded causes them to pay less attention to active threats, and are easier to score hits against
+ Night missions now impose a 5% penalty to ranged CTH and cover is more effective at night... could be a good time to hit the survivalists
+ When fighting indoors, assault and precision rifles suffer a 5% CTH penalty due to being used in an enclosed space

d25c8e19f2813fe23f7111dd015896bf66bf9ea1.jpg

Use the environment against your enemies

Content
+ Added first subway map
+ Added 15 illustrations for gang leaders
+ Added MK II incendiary grenades and MKII improvised explosives
+ Added crafting recipes for MK II Incendiary and IE
+ Added new non combat encounter: From The Precipice
+ Added new encounter: Intimidation

29ffaaef5e48a065e83d7df758368efe8897c74e.jpg

Take the fight underground!

Balance
+ Gang lieutenants now require 2, rather than 3 pieces of intel to locate.
+ Rackets require 2, rather than the planned 3 pieces of intel to locate
+ Racket and boss encounters are now more difficult
+ The per tile tactical re-positioning cost is now lower
+ Failing tactical repositioning imposes a -1 initiative penalty on your team
+ City tiles with high wealth have a chance to provide gangs members with improved equipment
+ General Arms Peacemaker SMG can now fire a single, more accurate, 3AP shot in addition to a burst
+ Gang members gain a level bonus at Hard Boiled or greater difficultly
+ Gangs get a scaling bonus to income at higher difficulties
+ Penalty for having an adjacent enemy and trying to use an assault or sniper rifle is now more severe
+ The Friendly Fire perk now prevents allies being hit by the shotgun's cone of fire
+ The Battle Frenzy perk now has a 30%, rather than 10% to activate
+ The shop now generates more component items

Tweaks
+ Added an option to toggle between fullscreen and windowed
+ Added an option to disable film grain
+ Added an option to set camera move speed
+ Increased camera rotation speed
+ Camera scrolling can now be disabled when the level starts, and re-enabled with a key press. Workaround for the Linux wandering camera bug
+ Camera movement speed increases as camera gains elevation
+ Individual tutorials can now be disabled
+ Changed how current / max health is displayed, to make it more clear when a character is wounded

Fixes
+ Fixed a bug where swapping between regular and hot loaded ammo could cause errors with the ammo unloaded from the gun (Supervoid)
+ Fixed a bug where input was being disabled in error, forcing players to click a UI element to re-enable it (Ushas & murrki017)
+ Fixed a bug whereby input was enabled when enemies changed weapons, which caused an issue in AOO and potentially other areas (Ushas)
+ Fixed a number of typos (Gloomseeker)
+ Fixed reachable tile display showing for enemies is escaped to menu during enemy turn (Ushas)
+ Fixed armour replaced during combat not updating protection until first hit (Ushas)
+ Sodium Thiopental no longer used if you opt not to use it (MotherAce[No])
+ Fixed issue with loading some gang leader fights (degzee64)
+ Rackets can no longer be found by surveillance only
+ Fixed issue with enemy fleeing in survivalist training facility (Ushas)
+ Made changes to code for switching between scenes, in the hope this resolves the issues with level loading.
+ Fixed crouching bonus was not being applied to characters in cover
+ Fixed issue with character not strafing after one strafe per turn
+ Fixed characters being able to shoot through one of the buildings in alleys 2 (Sheepify)
+ Fixed a bug where failing and retrying the first mission could cause crashes and unpredictable behaviour (Ushas, Tortousit, Tchey, Alatar)
+ Fixed an issue whereby dragging a stack of items onto a stack of the same type could cause unpredictable behaviour with inventory
+ Fixed rackets not being removed
+ Fixed rackets not providing a piece of intel on a lieutenant or another racket

I hope you enjoy the update. Should you have any feedback, please let us know!

Please note that previous save games will not work with the new version, as both the save game data, and the data which is initialised at the start of a game has been changed.

edit.

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
In case it was me, prob. was thinking about a medic with spec. perk and more options like giving first aid to allies and enemies alike. But that would be more suitable for destined to die anyway. Already downed units aren't targetable, IIRC?

Yeah, once they're down they are no longer referenced in tiles.

Looks also handy in case expanding the interrogation screen is planned. Wouldn't people expect to be able to interrogate though? It may look strange to get an unfavorable roll for a suitable subject after just revived one.
I haven't shot/beaten/stabbed enough people and patched them up after with a view to interrogating them to provide realistic statistics, but in my experience so far, preventing them from bleeding out doesn't guarantee consciousness or coherence.

Using in a scenario: the initial conversation says there is a gravely wounded NPC and you're given an opportunity to try patch him up. If the check is successful then can finish enemies at leisure, otherwise there will be a strict limit in # of turns if you want to save his life.

On different note, what if having an ally or a perk on the team has a secondary influence or offers alternatives? Specializations emerging where it makes some sense (but only when easy to do). Crude examples:
-- Elena has grudge against survivalists, so she can have bonus (esp. with roulette) when interrogating them.
-- Ray's eye for weakness, dunno, perhaps he slightly lowers difficulty of all rolls against enemies in conversation? (so with him it's easier to pass "[Presence] Distract enemies" as well as "[Firearms] Fire at the enemy" checks)...
-- Perks such as Insult or Intimidating giving an inherit bonus to a subset of [Presence] options that have insulting or intimidating connotations, respectively.
Etc. I'm sure there are better examples to come with.

Btw. a bribery option in interrogation [Trade]? Can also be used in some scenarios. But make it very expensive.
Then maybe a secondary feature of some perk would be lowering the cost of successful bribery.

Will add the scenario idea. Like the ideas of the characters providing more benefits to the player, the Elena idea would work well, as she is obviously feared by the survivalists. Bribery could be an option too.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
It would be nice to have indicator on the map screen that would point out points of interest that you have intelligence about.
(Bonus points if it would look like pin that has been stuck on the map.)
So one wouldn't have to mouse over every city district to find out where that one lieutenant is hiding.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
It would be nice to have indicator on the map screen that would point out points of interest that you have intelligence about.
(Bonus points if it would look like pin that has been stuck on the map.)
So one wouldn't have to mouse over every city district to find out where that one lieutenant is hiding.

That will happen - will add buttons to toggle crime rate/danger level/leaders/rackets. There are a couple of areas where info needs to be conveyed in a better way (enemy status effects, alternate weapon attacks, and the city map spring to mind) - will attempt to address 1 of them in this update.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
What if player could set stance for ally that is used for surveillance mission?

For example:
"Observe"- Ally just uses surveillance skill to passively increase intel of city district. Low risk, low reward option.
"Aggressive" -Take presence check to gain more intel and/or some loot. Change to be injured in case of failure.
"Bribe" - Uses trade skill which determines how much gained intel will cost.
late edit.
Critical success in bribing could also make an enemy or some enemies to run away without a fight in combat.

late edit 2.
Critical success on aggressive could also give gang members on target district some negative status effect like "demoralized."

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
I've played current version until 30th day of game time now.

Some thoughts about gameplay changes behind spoilers:
My main character is pretty much the same as in previous version
7CA582FF604D4A1CCF2727D58D023736706E19E8

-Team and all the loadouts are pretty much same too. Only changes being that Emilia wields precision rifle with lower AP requirements and I've given Ray pistol with double tap attack instead of upgraded revolver.
(If build works I'm not usually going to break it.) I've got access to higher tier items dropped by bosses, but those don't quite fit to my play style.
-Had much rougher early game this time with Sam and allies occasionally going down. Had to use more trauma kits too. Probably because I only found Ray on day 9 or so. My other characters were initially kinda squishy.
-Thanks to new overwhelm status and more goons on the battlefield churchers were no longer complete push overs. They also started to field weapons and specialists much sooner.
-More enemies on the field means that I've had more use for crowd control (grenades, shotgun cone and explosive stuff on battlescape) than in previous version. I've also used more smokes to cover my advance to ranged enemies.
-Generally enemy specialists seem now much more common, which is good because more challenge and because intelligence about enemy underbosses and rackets seem to be more common from specialists.
-It's now much easier to get intel about lieutenants and rackets. I've taken out 1 lieutenant of all gangs and same with rackets. Racket fights seem to be no tougher than normal street fights.
-Greater effect of bypass skill on the distance which unit can tactically redeploy gives opportunity for characters with high levels of it to start combat right behind you. I think this is welcome change and fits into the game.
-No game breaking bugs or crashes encountered.
edit.
-I'm still playing on Vigilante difficulty for testing purposes.
-Enemy turn resolution is faster (or I haven't run into that particular situation which causes AI to think over 1 minute again)
-Enemy grenade usage is competent, it will punish player for concentrating troops in one cluster whenever possible

edit.
Stuff added behind spoilers.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Well, I bought it. It was the equivalent of almost 3 days of lunch, but meh, who needs to eat anyway? But I want to wait for the full version to play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom