Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria II: A House Divided

Number Six

Augur
About time, I have had this game shelved for months.

Just had a nice little run as Prussia -> NGF. It's 1852 and I spanked Austria and got it's sphere, then formed NGF. Next up is taking back my lands from France, and then go back to beating the shit out of Austria (may happen at the same time, Austria and France are allied, but I'm allied with Spain, the UK, and the Turks). Should be a nice little world war, and I'm hoping the German military machine performs well.

The justify war addition is great. It limits your expansion, yes, but it fixes the constant warfare and the ability to ignore infamy in the mid-to-late game. I think it also limits how many research points can be allocated a day to 100 instead of 1000, so you can't just stock up points and put it into Breech-Loaded or Machine guns ten days after 1850 and roll over your enemies, so it prevents the power gaming a bit. Mobilization isn't absurdly sized, either, so that's nice. Oh, and your rebel problems (can) be a thing of the past. I have yet to pass any reforms and have only had one small rebellion, although I'm sure that's going to be a problem as they get more pissy. Stockpiling suppression points for really bitchy movements (Suffrage movement being the big one I'm dealing with right now) is a great move. Oh, and the ability to change National Focuses in the production or pop screen is terrific.

I am having some speed issues, but I'm starting to think that has more to do with my aging rig than the game. My processor is kind of shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just completed a game with Austria, and was so close to founding the German Empire (just would have needed to add a war goal to immediately get NGF into my SoI but support for jingoism was too low :decline:).

I want to continue this game because it went rather well and I want to see how I'll manage further. How do I convert an end-game save to HoI 3?

Quilty

Magister
Is there are a way to make the game not have an end date, or at least prolong it considerably?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is there are a way to make the game not have an end date, or at least prolong it considerably?

Its usually one of the first "mods" released. Check their forums.

In most cases all you have to do is change something in a text file.

Fucking Austria... they insist on maintaining #8 on Great Power status so I can't absorb them into the German Empire.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My game is still bugged.

Every time i select a unit the game slows down a lot, but not when i select 2 at the same time.
It seem like i am the only person in the world who has this problem.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is a BUG of some sort.

I can still play, but it is annoying.
Now for the game i like all the little things they added to the game with suppression, Justification of war's and so on. They add a lot to the entire thing.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think I've got my work cut out for me, and didn't need more than a single campaign to see what I gotta fix while porting over my little mod. I also saw I'll wait until the first patch before moving along, since...

1) It seems population growth is broken, haven't seen any changes in population anywhere except following territorial changes.
2) Military score for the player is fucked up. Again.
3) It seems that getting reforms is *impossible*.
4) Improving your tech gain is broken as well, since you can't create adequate amounts of Clergymen anymore (previously you could create a surplus in an area and they'd migrate internally, not anymore) without extremely tedious micro-management.
5) There's even less reason to take a ruling party without Jingoism now with War Justification, meaning Reactionary parties are god-tier now.

Also, it does run slower. So, I'll be fixing and fiddling things to keep the more arcadey base game alive along with adding the sugar-coat of slightly improved historical accuracy on top of it.

Anyway, positive notions:

1) AI Germany is no longer everyone's bitch. I saw them win Alsace-Lorraine in a war where they were against BOTH France and Russia.
2) Similarly, Russia is no longer god-tier for some reason, though it still lacks nationalist rebels and has too many accepted cultures.
3) American Civil War seems more even now.
4) War Justification is great.
5) Popular Movements and Rebels are great on paper, though because reforms are impossible you'll just end up with millions marching for the right to vote (popular support does *nothing* to influence Upper House).

Reforms seem to happen for me now no problem as NGF... already was forced to give up the monarchy in favor of Constitutionalism... dont know if I want a communist or fascist Germany though.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, the thing is, I've have four Focuses trying to make AH more Liberal for two decades now, and there's absolutely no effect whatsoever.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
3) It seems that getting reforms is *impossible*.

It's not. Sooner or later suffrage movements start demanding suffrage reforms. You can either suppress them or give in, once they reach a critical level of radicalisation you can refrom. From then on the next movement will radicalise faster and faster as time presses on, eventually branching out into several movements demanding different reforms.

4) Improving your tech gain is broken as well, since you can't create adequate amounts of Clergymen anymore (previously you could create a surplus in an area and they'd migrate internally, not anymore) without extremely tedious micro-management.

I agree there is something fishy here. I have maxed both sliders since the beginning of the game and neither have particulary many clergyman nor bureaucrats. But maybe they just steal the people from each other?

5) There's even less reason to take a ruling party without Jingoism now with War Justification, meaning Reactionary parties are god-tier now.

It depends, the more advanced your military the more supply it costs, the more money you have to pay for it. By the mid 60s you can't affort a big army with a backwards country, without severly penalizing your tech and social life. Neither can you with an advanced nation for that matter, but a high level of industrialization helps alot.

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright, so when can you give in to a popular movement?

EDIT: Oh yea, forgot to mention a critical improvement I've spotted:

No more insane mobilizations. Or at least, so it seems so far. But if I *ever* see it rise to over 200, I'm taking my gelding scissors to it again.

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright, I don't see how popular movements are NOT broken. I have a suffrage movement with over 100 radicalism, 25% of all my pops in it, and it does jack and shit for suffrage reform in upper house.

EDIT: Also, I can confirm that pop growth is utterly broken. No country has a growing population, in fact global population is in constant decline now.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reforms seem to happen for me now no problem as NGF... already was forced to give up the monarchy in favor of Constitutionalism... dont know if I want a communist or fascist Germany though.

Forced? Hah. I was never forced to do anything in my Austria game. Did the school and health social reforms as soon as possible, but never enacted a single political reform, staying absolutist till 1936. Sure, there was a strong suffrage movement, the upper house would have voted for landed voting, there were rebellions once or twice in my game (at least the 10-rebellions-in-a-row phenomenon is gone now) but I never felt under pressure.

And I never step even one step away from absolutism in my games out of principle.

Actually they may have gone too far in the other direction as far as rebellions go. It's 1870 in my game and I only had one (Jacobins, of course), and it was limited to recently conquered Alsace-Lorraine. As far as political reforms, I did landed voting just because... well, I don't know, just because. I can't enact any public reforms yet, but I think if I enact some other political ones (press and unions especially) those will open up.

Raapys

Arcane
Giving in to political reforms helps population growth through immigration though, which is always a huge plus.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Can Dutch provinces be formed into the German empire? I checked the wiki but didn't see an answer to this and I'd like to know if there's a point in trying to keep them in my SoI before forming the Empire.

I don't think so... I can check really quickly if you want. I have netherlands in my sphere and I can form Germany (just waiting for Austria to drop to #9 before I do it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom