Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victor Vran

Renevent

Cipher
...or Victor (Vran)Helsing :P

Just hit EA today, and from the preview vids and description sounds a bit like a Victorian themed ARPG/Loot-em-up with a more action orientated control scheme. Basically you can jump and roll and it plays well with a controller. It's also from the Tropico devs from what I understand, though I've personally never really played those games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345180/

steam said:
Victor Vran is an isometric Action-RPG with a massive selection of weapons, items, outfits,demon powers and destiny cards. Experience intense combat action with dozens of enemies attacking you from all sides and unleash powerful skills to finish them off!

Victor Vran lets you decide how to play the game. Forge your own personal version of Victor thanks to a vast array of powerful weapons, game-changing outfits, wicked demon powers and destiny cards. Use special moves, combine skills and weapons to wipe out hordes of hideous beasts and clever boss monsters.

Slaying demons doesn’t have to be a lonely affair – team up with friends online and explore the story of the dark world together in a full co-op experience.

victor_vran_steam_feature.png

• Dynamic action – dive down on enemies, dodge attacks and stand against hordes of monsters
  • Extensive character development – choose your weapons, items, outfits, destiny cardsand demon powers to create your ultimate monster-slaying build
  • Invite friends to defeat a vile monster, fight alongside players from all over the world and enjoy reading the epitaphs of the slain hunters
  • Randomly generated items in addition to the hand-crafted ones
  • Huge variety in monster behavior
  • Customize your difficulty with cursed hex items
  • Xbox controller support
Victor Vran is still in development. The game will continue to evolve during Early Access and we will use your help to make it better.

You are cordially invited to help us put the "action" back into the action-RPG genre!

I'd imagine this isn't the type of game that would be popular on these forums but what the hell, figured it would be fun talking about it anyways.

Purchased this earlier but have to work so will give some impressions later...but I liked the theme and I also like the fact it is more action orientated and plays with a controller. I typically like mouse driven ARPG's but Diablo 3 on the console was pretty fun and worked really well.

Some screenies:

20150211052429a0e0n4199vtbqw7q.jpg

victor-vran-01.jpg

Last edited:

Luckra

Educated
So it's a rip-off of Van Helsing which is already a rip-off of Diablo?
The Tropico games are real time simulation/management, did the devs try other genres or even RPG before?

Renevent

Cipher
The Tropico games are real time simulation/management, did the devs try other genres or even RPG before?

Well kinda...the theme looks very similar but they are doing action orientated controls (rolling, jumping, wall running, etc) and there's some other mechanical differences from what I can see. So it is very similar, but since the controls are so different I'd imagine it plays very differently.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It definitely looks like many dev teams out there dream of making an RPG (well, usually an ARPG) and only create other games to gather experience/funds for that.
I can definitely sympathize, as I would love to make an RPG myself (lack of necesary skills and laziness are big obstacles, though).

Whiran

Magister
Well kinda...the theme looks very similar but they are doing action orientated controls (rolling, jumping, wall running, etc) and there's some other mechanical differences from what I can see. So it is very similar, but since the controls are so different I'd imagine it plays very differently.
So it's a ripoff.

Renevent

Cipher
So it's a ripoff.

Well I guess that depends what your definition of the term "rip off" is. Visually it's similar, but the control scheme is completely different, it has it own set of mechanics, and it also has it's own twist on the theme. If that's constitutes a rip off to you, that's fine, but seems like a rather shallow and superficial assessment in my opinion.

Renevent

Cipher
Ok played around 2 hours...it's not a Van Helsing clone...actually it's not even exactly how I imagined the game would be at all. Yes, visually is does share a lot with VH but actually in action it resembles TL2 more I think. Not as bright and cartoony, but def closer.

So the gamed started out as I expected, which is basically your typical ARPG heading down the streets killing spiders and other baddies. The first area is linear and acts as a tutorial but once you get past it you get to a palace which acts as your home base. Initially there a vendor and some NPC's walking around, but I believe you can unlock more 'services' as you complete missions (I unlocked one after the first mission for instance). At the center of your base there's a map where you can choose to go next. Each area has a central mission, the first I took was to take out a head vampire, but there's also a bunch of fun side challenges as well.

The mission maps themselves are pretty large, have secret areas, tons of enemies, side dungeons, and side bosses. The previously mentioned challenges is stuff like smashing all the spider eggs in a hedge maze, find all the secret chests, kill X number of enemies in Y amount of time, kill certain enemies with melee/ranged...bunch of others but I saw at least 15-20 different challenges in the first mission alone. It's pretty cool when you complete a challenge too as a flag will slam down into the ground and tons of gold will rain out, or an item, or a shit ton of XP.

At the end of each mission there's a major boss, and the two I fought so far were pretty cool. One was a giant spider in the middle of literally 200-300 spider eggs...pretty hectic fight with handling dozens of spiders at a time, the big spider, and smashing all the eggs. The other was a vampire, which was pretty tough and had strong attacks, flew around, summoned other undead, and summoned these pillars that would drain your life (and give it to him).

This was mentioned above but it is a direct control game, and I used a 360 controller to play. Left stick moves, right stick pans the camera. Each weapon had 3 (1 normal and 2 special attacks). You can jump, roll around, bounce off off walls assassins creed style. The combat is done pretty well, I felt like I was constantly moving around, using my attacks and specials, and it was pretty fun and fast pace. From what I've seen so far there's a good amount of differing enemies that sometimes require different approaches. Some enemies block, do whirl-wind style attacks that can only be stopped with a special, can only be hit from behind, etc. There is a lot of button smashing, too, though...luckily you can also hold down some of the attacks.

What else...

As you level up you unlock customization slots. So you don't gain skills per-say, basically a sword is fast normal attack, and has two specials. The hammer is slow but hits hard and has two other specials. There's also shotguns, rapiers...I think more but that's what I did see so far. You will also unlock a demon power slot, which you can equip with whatever powers you unlock or find. So far seen a meteor strike power and a boomerang that was fun to use as you could get slick with how you threw it and then position yourself so that it hits more enemies on the rebound.

You can also unlock hexes which make the game more difficult, but also give you more rewards. So if you enabled a hex that makes the monsters hit 50% harder, you will also get 10% more experience.

Overall pretty fun so far. There's a lot of placeholder stuff (it is EA), but it did run smoothly and I didn't notice many bugs.

It's kinda a Diablo clone...but honestly it feels a lot more like playing Gauntlet or something with the action orientated controls, the missions, secrets, and shit like that.

*thumbs up*

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bundle fodder. Plus the dev said on the Steam forums it's been in development since before Van Helsing was released... and it's still in EA. This one is going to take a while.

Telengard

Arcane
They made The First Templar, a 3rd person action game with RPG elements, and Omerta, the business management/RPG hybrid. Do also note that they did not make the first Tropico (nor the 2nd), so that's not really their invention either.

They have some more city sims too, but the only thing they are famous for is Tropico. So, examining their catalog, you may notice a certain lack of creativity, style, and polish, to go along with the company's relative obscurity.

Sothpaw

Learned
What is with people calling every ARPG a Diablo rip-off? Is every fps a Doom rip-off? So stupid. Anyway I picked this up and am eager to try out later tonight.

Old Hans

Arcane
wheres the chart that shows how sick I am of fighting gay ass skeletons

HaemimontGames

Barely Literate
5252DKS.jpg

Greetings noble warriors! My name is Katarina, Queen of Zagoravia! My kingdom has been overrun by demons and I need worthy hunters to help me get rid of this unholy infestation. I’ve been working with the peasants at Haemimont Games, but it seems the commoners don’t quite grasp the concept of recruitment, so I took it upon myself to spread the word. Desperate times require desperate measures.

Time is of the essence, so I’ll spare you the details, if you wish to know more you can do so here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/345180/. If you think you are up for the task, I’ve provided 5 keys to my kingdom below, please take one and come seek me out at castle Zagore at once!

1 - QCQGW-GN95P-02MJV
2 - KYRZC-XKWZD-8RE5Q
3 - GIBYV-YJ9V4-TEYI0
4 - Y0QY8-I4WJQ-AIWTP
5 - E75D2-0FJYP-YWR07

DramaticPopcorn

I thought this forum was accessible only for 1 y.o. accounts

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom