Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Vicky 2:HoD dev diaries

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Alright, got to halfway point in an Austria campaign, time for some impressions:

Overall, I'm much more positively taken than with A House Divided. For one thing, the expansion doesn't BREAK anything (as you might remember, I was *pissed* with how AHD broke population growth), and secondly it's got a lot more meat on its bones than AHD.

First things that caught my attention were that the AI is releasing dominions all over the place (in fact, I think the only reason UK doesn't release India is because the Portuguese release India first as just Goa), and secondly that the newspaper is a really nice touch, I'll tell more about it later. In terms of Crises, they are not as likely to happen at flashpoint as you might expect. So far, Romanian nationalists have triggered a Crisis at Siebenburgen states some six times now, and it never starts building up due to no one picking up the cause. I suspect this is actually how the vast majority of Crises in the gameworld are cut in the bud. One notable thing that happened though was that UK and USA had a full Crisis over Washington state, which USA conceded to the British without a fight, so there's definately more potential for war than before. It seems that the best way to avoid Crises is to play suck-up to everyone (currently I've got 200 Relations with Germans and Russians, having focused my efforts first on conquering Switzerland before moving on to Balkan expansion in Bosnia and Serbia).

The newspapers are my favourite little neat thing in it, hands down. They add a nice touch of information in an immersive manner to the game (I'm not sure yet if your relations are also more actively modified now), but also have a nice selection of good lulz on slow periods when there's no news to be had. For example, I got a story about "a gentleman cow going on a rampage, killing 23 people before a passing chimneysweep decapitated the gentleman cow", and once I got a story explaining all this lulz going about, detailing the arrest of an Irish-man, a Pole, and a Prussian who were linked to a shadowy cabal that fabricates outrageous stories and passes them off as real news.

The biggest improvement however is in the economy and military systems though, which are what make HoD heads and shoulders above AHD as an expansion: The ticking warscore is excellent, preventing wars going on forever and allowing for a more defensive, calculated playstyle. My first real war was a fight against France and Ottoman Empire over Bosnia, and in contrast to how these usually work it was NOT a pain in the ass as I occupied Bosnia and could focus my forces on the intense defensive fight until French decided "fuck it, keep that shit" after some seven months of fighting. Army composition isn't changed largely, nowadays it just means the basic stack is going to be 4/4 infantry and artillery with 2/2 Engineers and Dragoons. Still, the performance difference between combined arms stacks and old school spam stacks is staggering, and makes Mobilization much less powerful. I'm not sure, but it also seems that the POP -> Troops rate has been lowered from previous as well, since the war I waged was fought in a much more mobile environment than before, nobody having over a hundred brigades at beck and call even after Mobilizing. Naval matters haven't come up yet, I'm focusing purely on Europe this campaign, so it's land all the way.

Of course, there seems to be much less need for colonies anyway. The global economy actually seems to WORK now, I am not in screaming shortage of every goddamn thing I'm not personally producing (THE WORLD IS ENDING HOW CAN THIS SHIT BE FIXED AT LAST). In fact, I briefly had Laissez Faire and only THREE factories out of my thirty or so went bankcrupt! I haven't checked the numbers closely yet, but it seems that focusing industry based on local RGOs actually pays off now better than focusing on population centres. Of course, it's still so far so good. Come 20th century and we'll see if Total Fucking Disaster (tm) happens as usual.

Rebels are also less common now. It's 1868, I'm an Absolute Monarchy, and I can count the number of Jacobin revolts I've manhandled with my fingers. Which is to say, I've had three Jacobin revolts (in fact, I've had more Nationalist revolts, at five of them), and there are a lot less brigades involved in rebellion now (so no "WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE" style revolts of several hundred brigades involved). I find this great improvement, as it does mean that you aren't required to go with democracy as the sole competetive option.

PS: One thing that the expansion DID fuck up though was getting Austro-Hungarian Compromise decision. I mean goddamn it seems impossible to get 5 Consciousness!

The global economy actually seems to WORK now, I am not in screaming shortage of every goddamn thing I'm not personally producing (THE WORLD IS ENDING HOW CAN THIS SHIT BE FIXED AT LAST).

I concur with everything but this. Playing as Persia and I have enough iron problems to warrant an invasion of Russian Armenia. Even though my other exports and good relations with other nations should allow me to be able to import more. (am westernised and a GP)

Other than that the changes in guard and infantry units is much better as guard spam is no longer viable although I won every battle even though I was always outnumbered because of my 1:1 infantry artillery ratio without any cavalry. Naval combat also has more flavor and the naval base system doesn't allow you to bring your fleet back up to strength fast as hell after a major naval defeat. Also definite :incline: when your flagship gets 4 kills and you get to watch the enemy fleets disengage and get wrecked in the process.

Haven't tried the colonization yet as the Russians beat me to the steppe niggers.

There's a few, ahem, balance issues in HoD:

KIoQg0f.jpg

sYUIJE2.jpg

To say the least (I've not even touched the parts I'm taking, merely banking warscore elsewhere). Ticking warscore isn't that bad, but you shouldn't be able to spend it on anything other than the objective. But otherwise it honestly ticks pretty slow overall, taking years to reach the full amount of the province. In that time you've probably gotten 50 warscore many times over. If it's not a province with an insanely high warscore in the first place (the ticking is relative to the total cost) you'll probably hardly notice it.

Warscore from battles isn't relative to a nation's size, killing 10% of russia's standing army will get you 50 warscore while demolishing 100% of a small nation's army and mobilized peasants will get you 2 warscore. It's honestly far too easy to just defend into victory. A crisis happened in that game which had every GP in the world backing the return of territory, but I just kicked 3 russian and 2 UK stacks around and bam, 50 warscore, demand United Provinces of India from UK. UK gives it up in a flash even though I am literally taking on the world and could probably barely hold out against either Russia or UK alone in an extended war.

Artillery is even more overpowered even if you can't use it in the front lines. With support bonus going up to 600% it is like 2-4x as powerful as an infantry. It ain't even funny how easily you rape 100% infantry mobilized forces, it's like gassing uncivilized china.

The changes to supply amounts and taking territory encourages doomstacking and makes things a bit too easy IMO. Before it was a strategic decision to spread out forces and take land which could backfire if any army of worth showed up. Now it's simply a matter of 30-50k stacks everywhere most of the time. Certainly nicer to play though with less micromanagement day by day to stay under the supply limits, but much simpler and easier to take land with with little that can go wrong.

Other than that the changes in guard and infantry units is much better as guard spam is no longer viable

Oh man, if you thought Guard spam was the shit you should have tried artillery spam. Much higher stats than anything else in the game, worked at 100% in front or back, and forms up into a perfect rectangle formation to minimize the amount of enemies that can attack at once while still utilizing full firepower. Of course now it's stats are lower but with much higher (ridiculously so) support ability.

Make sure to keep 1 recon unit with armies when attacking. It reduces the dug in bonus, very handy for any extended battle that will last for more than a few days.

So who's played it? I read that the AI releases dominions like it's nobody's business
Portugal releases Mozambique as a dominion around the first week.

I was unable to form India because Portugal had already released it. In Goa. :retarded:

Also UK releases Australia, colonizes the inside of Australia itself, then declares war to start taking Australian territory back.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Well, just wait for the APD port then. Sad to say that I don't have enough potatoes to buy it just yet. :(

Vaarna_Aarne

Won't play this anytime soon, through, I think.

Very much this. Paradox titles always need some time to ripen (patches and whatnot). I think I will buy it this fall.
The time needed has steadily been shorter. Crusader Kings 2 for example was good to go out of the box. In case of HoD, it's really just a matter of working the ticking warscore system's little quirks out, tweaking Crisis AI behaviour (a more minor issue, but in most cases GPs will never side against a GP; I've had a Crisis pop up in Poland some fifteen times so far, and it always folds because nobody wants to do anything about Russia; like not even with bribes, I once took the side of Poland I noticed that everyone but France has over -1000 disposition to siding against Russia; imagine what kind of chances minors will have with the system), and restricting the colonization (right now you end up seeing Russia take over half of Africa, which is all sorts of shades of bullshit, even by Paradox's standards of constant failure at balancing Russia).

All things considered though, the main thing to wait for is for APD people to work a port of their mod. The added features are going to go along fantastically with their old goodies (and maybe they'll finally get around to adding Russian Civil War; Pdox has times for all sorts of bullshit but not for RCW).

EDIT: Also, another new thing that caused me to shit some bricks: Confederates SURVIVED the civil war in base game WITHOUT someone stepping in to their help. Of course, some ten years later Kwa came crashing down on their sorry asses.

Ahh, small nations are completely fucked up. Picking a nation like Australia or Oranje that only starts with 1 regiment? Hope you enjoy taking a decade to occupy your first province with that.

Also Paradox took Sumbawa away from Bali and gave it to Netherlands. Why do you hate my first country to annex in every V2 game? Was an easy way to get pops and jewgold for nation with only 1 or 2 starting regiments.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
If Panjab can overtake England...

IT'S TIME FOR POTATOES TO RISE: x

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
All things considered though, the main thing to wait for is for APD people to work a port of their mod. The added features are going to go along fantastically with their old goodies (and maybe they'll finally get around to adding Russian Civil War; Pdox has times for all sorts of bullshit but not for RCW).

They should make a model capable of doing a RCW-style conflict, not modding in a Inevitable God-Ordained Russian Civil War. Anyone who knows the dynamics of alternate history knows that at 1835 a RCW can be completely averted as well as a Great War.

Well, the ACW has a lot of issues, so I extremely doubt the engine would be able to replicate the complex nature of the RCW

Vaarna_Aarne

They should make a model capable of doing a RCW-style conflict, not modding in a Inevitable God-Ordained Russian Civil War. Anyone who knows the dynamics of alternate history knows that at 1835 a RCW can be completely averted as well as a Great War.

Well, the ACW has a lot of issues, so I extremely doubt the engine would be able to replicate the complex nature of the RCW
It's more than sufficient, and it's much better to have that than an endless blob of BORING that Russia is normally unless you make it your gamelong mission to Rus Genocide as much as you can. Of course, Paradox still hasn't gotten Russia right to begin with, with Grand Duchy being a solid part of Russia, while also failing to prevent AI Russia from ever reaching Top 5 GPs.

A generalized revolting state mechanic would be a godsend to the game. Much better than "250k communists rose up as stone age irregulars, send in 20k troops on cleanup mode".

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, modders actually might have something to work with now in that regard with the dynamic core system. At least in theory, I think it's possible to set up a chain of events that creates a rebel state with a silly name.

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright, finished my first campaign in Heart of Darkness today.

I must say, contrary to the old game with the meat in the mid-game, HoD makes things stay interesting well into the 20th century. The key to this is the Crisis system, which will only pick up pace and really start getting interesting once Great Wars are invented. I bailed on my Russian allies around 1870's, starting to suck up to the top dogs in Germany, which eventually lead to the first Great War in the 1890's, which was triggered by Greeks wanting to regain East Macedonia. Me, Germany and the UK sided with the Greeks, Russia, France and Netherlands sided with the Ottomans. This was my first big push to the Balkan area after the brief war over Moldavian and Wallachian freedom (to be conquered by me). Significant gains were made by all on my side, though for some reason Germans didn't get me Ottoman Montenegro (this becomes a repeating pattern). It also marked the beginning of the Austro-Hungarian rise to power, stepping from eternal #6 to being the bold up-and-coming #4. The later game wars are also much more interesting, as the unit totals are much more strict than before (by 1936, I had just a little over 500 brigades, and Mobilization now gives you cannon fodder).

Anyway, knowing that my soaring literacy and increasingly advanced military was finally at the ready to take some serious combat, I started taking a more pro-active part in international Crises. One example was that I managed to cower Russia in the Albanian Crisis, removing Kebab from Albania. I also got Afghanistan some of their territory back from Panjab. But the true feather in my cap was when I cowered Russia directly and FREED POTATOLAND, though I had to pay attention to the stupid Poles wouldn't start any shit with me. So anyway, at the start of the 20th century, we get another Great War, this time because Tripoli wants Kebab removed from the premises. An all-stars team of Germany and Austria-Hungary is assembled to fight against UK, France, Russia and Netherlands. Kebab is removed from the Balkans except from Greek cores (Greeks rolled up their sleeves and removed Kebab from Thessalia on their own, they'd also clear out Kebab from East Macedonia on their own) AND Ottoman Montenegro because the Germans are twats over it. Bulgaria and Rumelia become happy parts of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and her slowly emerging democracy. The stunning victory and my emergent naval power placed me firmly at permanently as the global #2 (Germany has a lot more power now in the game).

The third Great War got started again by unhappy subjects of Kebab (now Communist Turkey after a revolution), with Germany backing Armenian pleas for freedom against Japan, France and Russia. I join with Germany again because with them I don't have to worry at all about the French and Russian fronts, just kick back and relax. Eventually, like before, the Entente is trounced throughoutly (UK stayed out of the war), and I'm starting to suspect France is a glutton for punishment. But I *still* don't get Ottoman Montenegro, the last piece of Kebab in the Balkans, despite it being the only damn thing I asked for! Well, I took it a few years later anyway, due to another revolution making Turkey a Bourgeouis Dictatorship and leaving the truce null and void. The last international Crises of note were the other feather in my cap, when I cowered Russia into letting Lithuanian Hitmen be free (though they wouldn't be part of my sphere for long, as they became Commies and I let the Germans sphere them), and later one when me and Germany joined up against the UK and freed UK from the Irish.

One thing I think deserves mention: I had an excellent, thriving, and surplus industry with only one colony at Suez. Methinks the economy does indeed work now, not even rubber caused problems for my vast auto-tank-electric-aeroplane industry.

A generalized revolting state mechanic would be a godsend to the game. Much better than "250k communists rose up as stone age irregulars, send in 20k troops on cleanup mode".

I didn't play much vanilla, but I was always found weird how the internet was flooded with comments about large armies of rebels popping out of ass with 250k soldiers without any reason. I never had such a revolt happen to me, weird.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Speaking of which does any mod make the westernization process in AHD less ass? By less ass I mean not spending 60 years doing essentially nothing while waiting for RP to accumulate. It just seems absurd it takes over half a century from the first western-style reform to actually be able to adopt industrialization. If a government was determined enough and could suppress the opposition to reforms it should take at worst 30 years. Japan and the Meiji restoration being an example.

Or am I missing something and there are way to speed up the process in AHD rather than just focus on the military reforms.

Vaarna_Aarne

Speaking of which does any mod make the westernization process in AHD less ass? By less ass I mean not spending 60 years doing essentially nothing while waiting for RP to accumulate. It just seems absurd it takes over half a century from the first western-style reform to actually be able to adopt industrialization. If a government was determined enough and could suppress the opposition to reforms it should take at worst 30 years. Japan and the Meiji restoration being an example.

Or am I missing something and there are way to speed up the process in AHD rather than just focus on the military reforms.
APD gives a special set of events and decisions for Japan that give them faster Westernization and a really bitchin' modifier and tech school once they do. But generally, you're shit outta luck.

However, HoD addresses this problem by giving alternative ways for speeding up Westernization (the one most often mentioned is conquest giving RP for uncivs). In my campaign there, by 1890 almost everyone had Westernized succesfully, which I've never seen previously. Heck, China even managed to get its shit together for a brief while and be a Great Power, before siding with the wrong crew in Great War II, and getting its breakaway states a brief edge over it, though at the end of the campaign it was again #7 GP. Japan was #4, outranking UK and France.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
The only unciv except Japan that is fun to play is Egypt. Mostly because of the Oriental Crisis events and because you have plentiful supply of fellow africans niggers down south to make more pyramids.

Borelli

Arcane
Me, Germany and the UK sided with the Greeks, Russia, France and Netherlands sided with the Ottomans.
Russia sided with the Ottomans ... against the Greeks.: x

XenomorphII

Prophet
The only unciv except Japan that is fun to play is Egypt. Mostly because of the Oriental Crisis events and because you have plentiful supply of fellow africans niggers down south to make more pyramids.

I dunno, I had a pretty fun game as Bukkhara (no idea if that is spelled right) in AHD. Juggling relations between the Russians and British while trying to eat everything I could in the middle, was hard, and I was quite pleased with my rank 8 "Great Power" Bukkhara.

Also as Varne mentioned in HoD you gain rp points from war (more with some reforms). I managed to rack up 19k points by kicking Spain out of the Philippines (and defeating Netherlands and Portugal) as Japan in my new campaign. That being the case (and the changes to tactics), I imagine many more uncivs will be much more playable now. Also just want to add I really like the new naval limits, my only grip is I really wish there was a way to automatically upgrade your naval bases as money is available for it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Btw, it deserves repeat mention how nice the newspaper feature is. It's a very fun and immersive way for the game to keep the player involved of world affairs, much better than usual pop-ups. I'll also give it extra credit for the amusing fluff stories in it, particularly the hilariously covered Bone Wars.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes its a very pleasant expansion, nothing on visuals, but its plenty of nice little touchs like the newspaper or the international crisis, i must say its really fun right now. I havent played V2 since vanilla release, so just got the whole bundle on steam. At release i had a broken economy, now everything working like a charm.I have not suffered of the dominion spam yet, only thing needing improvments are uncivilzed countries, it seems only pseudo uncivilized like japan or egypt are fun to play .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom