Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Vicky 2:HoD dev diaries

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
It seems that there isn't much love for Vicky 2 here. To rectify this injustice, this thread will serve as DISCUSS!ion of what we know so far from HoD (especially as its just two weeks to go before release).

Developer Diary 1 – Newspapers!
Developer Diary 2 – Crisis System
Developer Diary 3 - Naval System
Developer Diary 4 - Wars/Military
Developer Diary 5 - Colonies
Developer Diary 6 - Industrial improvements

The new Crisis system seems p. cool, The Brazilian Slaughter would be happy to know that weaker countries now have more options aside from being food for the GPs, and the new naval system would prevent the retarded navy spam by the ai. :incline:

DISCUSS!

Can we have Infinitron (lure him with promises of more brofists) do his stuff for the Strategy forum as well?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The most important thing is that they've finally fixed the warscore system so Russia doesn't enjoy massive advantage over the only two possibly genuine threats they face (Austria and Germany). Same goes for China and USA.

EDIT: But the most hands down most important change is the unfucking of Mobilization system.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But overall seems like a very minor improvement over the original game. And most of those comes from other games...

oscar

Arcane
I've always thought mobilisation should be divided into minor mobilisation/regular mobilisation/total mobilisation. Lighter mobilisations convert fewer pops and thus have less of a toll on the economy (calling up reservists, volunteers and the like) compared to a total mass mobilisation (pretty much all able-bodied men being conscripted).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Dunno why but i could never get into Victoria, the CK and EU series are about the only grand strategy games i can stomach from Paradox.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dunno why but i could never get into Victoria, the CK and EU series are about the only grand strategy games i can stomach from Paradox.
Different from my experience. I can only get into CKs and Vickys and not into EU (I'm so confused about how the sliders work) and I haven't yet tried HoI.

Vaarna_Aarne

Different from my experience. I can only get into CKs and Vickys and not into EU (I'm so confused about how the sliders work) and I haven't yet tried HoI.
I think EU is too simple and boring compared to CK, Vicky and HoI. It's pretty much "baby's first Paradox game", and it shows. Which is also why I have high hopes for EU4 having more meat on its bones.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The main issue I saw with mobilization in vicky is that you could mobilize pops from colonies at no noticeable penalty making mutlicult armies where your primary culture was underrepresented. See Cassidy's (second) Krakow LP where he got african colonies to raise the cannon fodder needed to liberate potatoland from the three great powers. Training "uncivilized" people to use your guns and tactics is just asking for them to use that against you. Unless I missed something and there were penalties. Then again bro Vaarna did complain about british india giving the British Empire ridiculous manpower that made it steamroll over anyone else, realistically you couldn't conscript too many natives or they would start rebelling.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Say that to the French. They constantly used massive numbers of colonial troops in their wars. Especially WWII saw lots of colonial troops even fighting in France to liberate the 'motherland.'

Say that to the French. They constantly used massive numbers of colonial troops in their wars. Especially WWII saw lots of colonial troops even fighting in France to liberate the 'motherland.'

Is Algeria still part of France?

The most important thing is that they've finally fixed the warscore system so Russia doesn't enjoy massive advantage over the only two possibly genuine threats they face (Austria and Germany). Same goes for China and USA.

EDIT: But the most hands down most important change is the unfucking of Mobilization system.

Forgetting something maybe? FUCKING UK WHO WON'T GIVE UP THE FALKLANDS UNTIL YOU'VE OCCUPIED ALL OF INDIA AND HAVE LANDED IN THE MAINLAND? FUCK YOU UK! (slight exaggeration, but the point stands, you couldn't ever take anything from the UK without establishing naval dominance and wiping their uber fleet out)

I dunno about mobilization. I never really mobilized before, since wars are so easy to win anyways. The bigger change to combat is that they are rebalancing the unit types. No more artillery cheese.

Colonial troops who could actually rebel would be fun. At the moment the only way to get them to rebel is to intentionally not pay them. Sadly it sounds like that won't see any changes, so annexing half of China in the first decade of gameplay is still the optimal move.

I think EU is too simple and boring compared to CK, Vicky and HoI. It's pretty much "baby's first Paradox game", and it shows. Which is also why I have high hopes for EU4 having more meat on its bones.

TBH Vicky really isn't any more complex, and I'd argue it's easier once you've sorted things out. CK is just an entirely different kind of game that does odd things. HoI is an absolute clusterfuck of complexity compared to both, the only one that is legitimately excel-level work to play.

Vicky 2 tires me because it's pretty much always played the same way. Even if you aren't cheesing with aforementioned annexation of China it's always about rushing the army tech, duping AI into attacking stupidly, and colonizing 95% of africa for yourself.

rogozhin

Cipher
Forgetting something maybe? FUCKING UK WHO WON'T GIVE UP THE FALKLANDS UNTIL YOU'VE OCCUPIED ALL OF INDIA AND HAVE LANDED IN THE MAINLAND? FUCK YOU UK! (slight exaggeration, but the point stands, you couldn't ever take anything from the UK without establishing naval dominance and wiping their uber fleet out)
That's not even exaggerated. Starting a war against the UK for fucking South Bengal resulted in this for me:

vtJ41tX.jpg

I just hope this won't need to happen with the Ticking War Score stuff.

Borelli

Arcane
That CK2 thingy where if you hold a province that is a focus of a war you get +warscore slowly over time should be imported to every past,present and future Paradox game.

Krash

Arcane
That CK2 thingy where if you hold a province that is a focus of a war you get +warscore slowly over time should be imported to every past,present and future Paradox game.

Seems like they've realized that too. Gonna be in EU4.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Meh, its not always good. With really big empires you sometimes wont even have time to move armies before you lose the war due to ticking warscore.

Yes, empires lost far away provinces but that was because they couldnt keep them militarily due to supply issues or cost or political concerns and focus elsewhere. Losing, for example, Indies as GB just because your army didnt reach it in time is silly and thats how it works in CK2.

Its a step in good direction, but AI should just recognize what it can and what it can not do when signing peace. Like compare fleet sizes. What good id million strong army if you fight island nation with a huge fleet?

Borelli

Arcane
Seeing as you can issue orders while paused time is not an issue, and warscore ticking is pretty slow in current CK2. Much too slow for my tastes.

oscar

Arcane
I think there's a grace period of a year or two to allow you to actually assemble a force and get there before the ticker starts.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
The Destiny of Poland.

I need to get that.

Vaarna_Aarne

Meh, its not always good. With really big empires you sometimes wont even have time to move armies before you lose the war due to ticking warscore.
Not a problem IMO. Big empires SHOULD be screwed over by their own size against more tightly organized and determined opponents.

Yes, empires lost far away provinces but that was because they couldnt keep them militarily due to supply issues or cost or political concerns and focus elsewhere. Losing, for example, Indies as GB just because your army didnt reach it in time is silly and thats how it works in CK2.
India is a poor example. It's far away from all major opponents, so the imminent threats are a bunch of brownies, and due to the massive native population you can garrison it to the teeth. Basically, you'll have to absolutely fuck up as GB for someone to snatch India from you, on the level of getting sneak attacked in a really embarrassing manner of failing to keep a buffer zone with the Great Game (even then, your Indian divisions are probably the biggest threat Russia has).

Its a step in good direction, but AI should just recognize what it can and what it can not do when signing peace. Like compare fleet sizes. What good id million strong army if you fight island nation with a huge fleet?
This is a good point. Still, the AI generally does white peace if it's fighting only GB, as GB won't just sit on the island but try to blockade, which in turn raises War Exhaustion faster (the AI's peace acceptance is based on warscore status and war exhaustion level).

So who's played it? I read that the AI releases dominions like it's nobody's business
Portugal releases Mozambique as a dominion around the first week.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sometimes I think they are not testing their patches at all. I mean, how is it possible to not see this issue? QA for releases yes but for patches no?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom