Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News VGX 2013: South Park and Witcher 3 Trailers

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I know they say it's in-game footage, but damn if those particles don't look a bit too nice to believe.
You better not be bullshoting me, Poles. :rpgcodex:

Oesophagus

Arcane
The Wither does look good, art direction-wise, but then again I can't remember the last time a trailer for an AAA game was representatve of anything, so nyah

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I have a feeling that after the release South Park is going to add gaming pop culture to their "satire" roster, I'm cringing already.
You can stop cringing. They've been doing that for more than 7 years, which you'd know if you actually watched the show and thus had any reason to cringe about what they're doing anyway.

Kron

Arcane
The thing about The Witcher 2 and apparently, The Witcher 3 too, is that it becomes all too apparent that the designers for cities, houses, etc. (backgrounds) are different from the designers for armors and unique characters.

I mean, the scenery looks pretty good, in a moody, tame and non high fantasy sort of way, for most of the game, anyway; but the armors and costumes for unique characters and Geralt look like shit right from the beginning.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The thing about The Witcher 2 and apparently, The Witcher 3 too, is that it becomes all too apparent that the designers for cities, houses, etc. (backgrounds) are different from the designers for armors and unique characters.

I mean, the scenery looks pretty good, in a moody, tame and non high fantasy sort of way, for most of the game, anyway; but the armors and costumes for unique characters and Geralt look like shit right from the beginning.

But Geralt's ass is yummy ... no homo! :)

I have a feeling that after the release South Park is going to add gaming pop culture to their "satire" roster, I'm cringing already.
You can stop cringing. They've been doing that for more than 7 years, which you'd know if you actually watched the show and thus had any reason to cringe about what they're doing anyway.
I have watched the show unfortunately. Maybe not every episode, but whose watched every episode of anything? Especially something like that? The most I remember is WoW and something about the Wii . Googled south park video game references, pretty limited, mostly recent, and very cringeworthy.
@ South Park trailer
Great, more farting. Just what this game needed to convince me I won't like it at all. Obsidian's writers have clearly put a lot of effort into this.
Pretty much every piece of news about this game has put emphasis on how it was written by matt and try. It seems like a pretty major selling point, but I'm sure at the end of the day it's going to somehow be Obsidian's fault.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't get it. In Witcher 1, King of the Wild Hunt is depicted as a skeletal spectre. In Witcher 2 is a flesh&bone elf from another dimension. I guess he also has the power to change apparition

Dexter

Arcane
FUCK.

Why do all developers have to fall into this GENERIC EPIC® crap?

CD_Projekt_crap.jpg

This shit looks straight out of a Sauron-JRPG abominable birth.
Isn't that kind of exactly how they made the "King of the Wild Hunt" look in The Witcher 1 years ago, just in ghost form?
Bestiary_Wild_Hunt_full.png
King_of_the_Wild_Hunt2.jpg

Why complain about it now?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I don't get it. In Witcher 1, King of the Wild Hunt is depicted as a skeletal spectre. In Witcher 2 is a flesh&bone elf from another dimension. I guess he also has the power to change apparition
Maybe he decided he needed armor...and legs...

Kron

Arcane
Dexter said:

It always looked like shit, but that doesn't invalidate that it looks like shit now.

At least the wild hunt were specters - badly designed specters - in TW 1, like you know, the folklore wild hunt.

That transdimensional elves stuff in TW 2 was total retardation.

Geralt seems to have had sex with all the elves in this dimension. Retconning the wild hunt into elves was the only way to give Geralt more elves to sex in another dimension.

made

Arcane
Dexter said:

It always looked like shit, but that doesn't invalidate that it looks like shit now.

At least the wild hunt were specters - badly designed specters - in TW 1, like you know, the folklore wild hunt.

That transdimensional elves stuff in TW 2 was total retardation.
As I understand it, the space elves masquerade as the folklore WH in order to hide their true intentions. I can dig that. Just the armor and mask looks lame, is all.

Kron

Arcane
Infinitron said:
CD Projekt didn't make that up, you know.

Did they take that from Sapkowski?
In any case, CD Projekt have deviated from the source material numerous times, so why not with the wild hunt too?
At least it would have been tasteful.

Plus, I guess that those GRIMDARK hand drawn cutscenes, which had aesthetically nothing to do with the rest of the game, did not help to make the wild hunt feel like part of the mythos.

Perkel

Arcane
Geralt seems to have had sex with all the elves in this dimension. Retconning the wild hunt into elves was the only way to give Geralt more elves to sex in another dimension.

That is hell of a necro but...

Wild Hunt being elves wasn't ratconed. In books there were elves in Geralt world which were mostly comparable to humans especially those city elves which lived among humans, Ain Sidhe type elves which were mostly breeded by elves which didn't live with humans and those type of elves had connection or could connect with original elves from other plane so called "oak people". Those oak people or oak elves history is that of Vikings in out history. They mostly invaded other realms and made those realms their own but they were cut of due to some event from their ability to traverse worlds freely. Still they have power to send individuals or connect to other elves living for example in geralt world.

Now Wild Hunt as by lore is those Oak Elves traversing dimensions but they can't fully materialize in geralt world so they look for someone that can get them into their world via connector someone who can open gate of planes and traverse to other plane.

If you read books you know who that is and plot that was looming in background of TW1 and at the end of TW2 was fully materialized and that plot is simply continuation of Oak people plot from books. Which is imo amazing because it is hard to continue books without being author. TW3 undoubtly will feature resolve of that plot and ending to TW Geralt saga by CDP i think. From design perspective there won't be simply any point from which you can spread new saga or plot.

Naturaly from gameplay perspective there isn't really much to expect. It is witcher he sword people and CDP doesn't have any good foundation to 3rd person slasher with proper ruleset without it being "shit is cranky" coming from all directions. As for C&C i expect downgrade.

As for shitty sauron elves... It's Sapkowski lore. He uses common themes to get you bend over and then he fucks you not expecting. I mean for example at first glance elves in Sapkowski books are your usual high fantasy elves with longswords and lute but in reality that is just mask and under that mask all elves are not different than humans and actually most of them are just your usual pricks and they have ton more experience with being prick so they are like double pricks.

This is why i have still faith that sauron armor is just for a show. Remember Letho from TW2 ? That big muscled main antagonist of TW2 was by far the smartest men in TW2 and his actions and reasoning was the least epic you can get.

That is hell of a necro but...

Wild Hunt being elves wasn't ratconed.
insert pic of a rat in a cone here...

I get that there were interdimensional elves in the books, but the wild hunt were ghosts in the first game. With skeleton bones and everything. Sounds to me like Cdp used the elves you mentioned in their "ratconing" process, but that doesn't mean there is no "ratconing" going on here. ;) Not that I care that much really. I'm sure I'll enjoy tw3 regardless.

Perkel

Arcane
Not really.

In books Wild Cunt was like you said ghosts of fallen warriors trying to get new members from battlefields of bloody wars. But that was what normal people thought about it. By normal i mean village type people. More or less Wild Cunt was a myth.

In books however Ciri was hunted by those ghost and later in was revealed that Oak people can traverse dimensions. It is not said in books that Wild Cunt are Oak People but everything points at it. Wild Cunt phenomenon also was connected with different types of year in which parts all magical things were super active thus giving those Oak People more power to manifest themselves in that world.

CDP surely did fuck up things like Triss in first game with cleavage where this was for Triss character like Drizzt being Bald gnome for D&D but as for Wild Cunt they did wonderful job continuing that plot into overarching TW1-3 story.

but as for Wild Cunt they did wonderful job continuing that plot into overarching TW1-3 story.
That's true. Heck, I'd say finding it was the real main plot in the games.
i mean Wild Hunt
Oh. Never mind then...

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom