Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry - open world pirate action-RPG from Two Worlds developer

Maschtervoz

Learned
The pirate bits are a rather small segment of a much larger game with other primary themes, and you don't even get to do stuff like sailing, managing crews and ships, or other things one would expect from a pirate game. But hey, at least it's part of an actually good game rather than Risen 2 and 3.

Morkar Left

I already mentioned it together with the New Horizons mod. I wonder why you haven't mentioned it. Never tried? If you already loved the original base game you will be in for a big surprise about the diverse possibilities you have with the mod.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
If you are looking for a good pirate-themed game, take a look at Pirates of the Caribbean (2003).

It was supposed to be Seadogs 2 but Disney bought it and changed the title. Don't worry about Disney goofiness, the only link between the game and the title is a legendary ship named the Black Pearl and that's all. The rest is what you expect from a pirate game that's not trying too hard with the swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g12XAOMdQw

It aged very well because what was beautiful back then wasn't related to horse-power: the setting sun on the water, the architecture, the lush jungles, etc... it's still a wonder to look at.

Its most serious flaw would be its floaty combat on foot. You better be ready to invest in guns so you can block and just one-shot people with your pistol. The boat-to-boat combat, on the other hand, is delightful, and hits the exact right spot between arcade and believability.

Its other major issue is level-scaling (in a game edited by Bethesda? Colour me impressed): I was fond of the early game fights, with small-to-medium boats and limited scale, with the occasional heroic assault on a big galleon with your tiny sloops buzzing around it like little bees. Sadly, towards mid-game, just about every convoy you meet is not one, but several huge galleons and you need to have the same firepower if you are to do anything. All diversity disappears.

It's one of these open-ended games that may lack polish in some areas, but really give you a sense of wanderlust and exploration, because it lets you do things that have no purpose other than "feeling" the game (call it the dreaded "immershun"): switching to in-world mode in the middle of nowhere just to look at your ship sailing in the dawn, or close enough to the coast that you can dock in real-time, a process short enough not to become a bore, but long and deliberate enough that you can capture the instant. And of course you have all sorts of pirates' villages, colonial cities with typical architecture, great costumes, etc.

One last point on the interface: it's a console port and it shows. Thankfully, you don't access the non-action interface often enough that it prevents you from playing, but a USB controller with Xpadder will probably make the experience much smoother.
Is this something like Port Royale in 3D? Or better?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's mostly because it was reviewed by a SJW tard.
Well, he does have a point, though. Not in the review but in the comments (and it was someone else....).

If every woman you meet is a sex worker (or portrayed like a whore), every male an asshole, every black person a slave, every priest a pedophile, ...
And if all of that happens in a game that is not satire.
Then, yes, it is just downright childish and offensive and deserves to be smacked for that. If not for offensiveness (that is subjective), but at least for awful character design.

mondblut

Arcane
If every woman you meet is a sex worker (or portrayed like a whore), every male an asshole, every black person a slave, every priest a pedophile, ...
And if all of that happens in a game that is not satire.
Then, yes, it is just downright childish and offensive and deserves to be smacked for that. If not for offensiveness (that is subjective), but at least for awful character design.

Reality is a shitty character designer :smug:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this game open-world like Two Worlds, or rather story-driven (with just hubs) like Two Worlds 2? I enjoyed the first TW immensely due to a great exploration aspect (with no level-scalling), whereas TW2 was mediocre because they took away the best part of the game (and the only one that was great) and left all the average and crappy parts.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is this game open-world like Two Worlds, or rather story-driven (with just hubs) like Two Worlds 2? I enjoyed the first TW immensely due to a great exploration aspect (with no level-scalling), whereas TW2 was mediocre because they took away the best part of the game (and the only one that was great) and left all the average and crappy parts.
There was level scaling. Up to n in an area, unlimited for bosses.

Trip81

Novice
So i have played the game for some hours now. The game is absolut shit. After i defended the game i had the urge (i hope urge is the right word) to update my impressions.so i was wrong at this game and my short impression. So thats that bye.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have played for an hour and 30 minutes now and the game begun to be quite fun in last 30 minutes. Feels a lot like Risen 3 too. I guess if you liked Risen 2/3 you might also like this one, but I'm just at the beginning of the game, so everything might yet change.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I have played for an hour and 30 minutes now and the game begun to be quite fun in last 30 minutes. Feels a lot like Risen 3 too. I guess if you liked Risen 2/3 you might also like this one, but I'm just at the beginning of the game, so everything might yet change.

I guess not. /konjad

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Going to be awhile before you can beg for this one so... don't worry about it.

Konjad

Patron
This game is bugged as fuck. I loaded old save because I encountered game-breaking bug only to encounter another game-breaking bug. :hmmm:

On another note, I like songs in this game.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
This pisses me off.

Loved Pirates of the carrabian and loved the russian spinoff version (or whatever) and have been waiting for a decent Pirate game now for years.

-Guess this isnt it.

Ramireza

Savant
This pisses me off.

Loved Pirates of the carrabian and loved the russian spinoff version (or whatever) and have been waiting for a decent Pirate game now for years.

-Guess this isnt it.

Just play the "Pirates!" Remake from 2004.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you are looking for a good pirate-themed game, take a look at Pirates of the Caribbean (2003).

It was supposed to be Seadogs 2 but Disney bought it and changed the title. Don't worry about Disney goofiness, the only link between the game and the title is a legendary ship named the Black Pearl and that's all. The rest is what you expect from a pirate game that's not trying too hard with the swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g12XAOMdQw

It aged very well because what was beautiful back then wasn't related to horse-power: the setting sun on the water, the architecture, the lush jungles, etc... it's still a wonder to look at.

Its most serious flaw would be its floaty combat on foot. You better be ready to invest in guns so you can block and just one-shot people with your pistol. The boat-to-boat combat, on the other hand, is delightful, and hits the exact right spot between arcade and believability.

Its other major issue is level-scaling (in a game edited by Bethesda? Colour me impressed): I was fond of the early game fights, with small-to-medium boats and limited scale, with the occasional heroic assault on a big galleon with your tiny sloops buzzing around it like little bees. Sadly, towards mid-game, just about every convoy you meet is not one, but several huge galleons and you need to have the same firepower if you are to do anything. All diversity disappears.

It's one of these open-ended games that may lack polish in some areas, but really give you a sense of wanderlust and exploration, because it lets you do things that have no purpose other than "feeling" the game (call it the dreaded "immershun"): switching to in-world mode in the middle of nowhere just to look at your ship sailing in the dawn, or close enough to the coast that you can dock in real-time, a process short enough not to become a bore, but long and deliberate enough that you can capture the instant. And of course you have all sorts of pirates' villages, colonial cities with typical architecture, great costumes, etc.

One last point on the interface: it's a console port and it shows. Thankfully, you don't access the non-action interface often enough that it prevents you from playing, but a USB controller with Xpadder will probably make the experience much smoother.

This. And thanks Morkar for mentioning that mod, which I too never tried. Perfect chance to reinstall the game and try the mod out, especially after trying the total letdown that RC turned outto be.

Perkel

Arcane
So no Two World III then ? What a shame.
Yeah but it is interesting that most of veteran staff moved to CDRED in Cracow.

In poland there aren't really ton of veterans to make games.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
nothing of value was lost

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom