Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VD, please don't get religion.

Project: Eternity
:salute: Congrats on quitting your job VD. If it gets AoD done sooner, what do I care if it leaves you starving in the streets :)

As a selfish player who really, really, wants to start playing the game, I got a bit nervous when you talked about changing shield mechanics. Not because I think it is a bad idea (I actually really love it), but because implementing it might take even more time.

In fact, I was reminded of a continous problem I had to deal with in a previous life.

We were in a business where an outside organization would come in once a year for a rigorous inspection. Although a big pain in the butt and source of much work, the greatest danger was always "getting religion".

What normally happened was that in the final preps before the inspectors came, the clouds would part and the pure light of the heavens would shine down with a vision of the way things should be. It would be awesome and would create a clean and pure experience that would leave everyone awestruck with both its elegence, simplicity, and pure perfection.

Naturally, being a completely new idea, no one would know what to do and, inevitably it would be fucked up and things would be much worse than if we had just left well enough alone.

AoD is already a "good enough" game as it stands. I humbly request that you view the next six months as a time to finish the game and not "finally time to make everything perfect".

"Perfect" is the enemy of "good enough"

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
As a selfish player who really, really, wants to start playing the game, I got a bit nervous when you talked about changing shield mechanics. Not because I think it is a bad idea (I actually really love it), but because implementing it might take even more time.
Tweaking an existing mechanic takes a day or two. The shield thing is a very quick fix and it's a necessary fix. While the overall system is good enough, shields weren't.

We aren't trying to make a perfect game (I hope you will agree that the demo was anything but perfect), but we (well, Nick and Oscar) do have time to go through the mechanics, while I'm going over the quests and dialogues, so why not?

There is a good chance that AoD will be our only game, so we may not get a chance to fix something in our next game. I want it to be a memorable experience (for those who dig this kind of games).

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I want it to be a memorable experience (for those who dig this kind of games).

It already is. I have played it more than than anything else in the last 5 years. :salute: Although, some people act as if you have molested them in childhood...

MCA
Well, Prelude to Darkness is a nearly perfect game in its own little way.

3 years later we are still :butthurt: over the devs deciding to troll us before quit.

What I wouldn't give to have the PtD source, just to fix the bugs and maybe improve the UI slightly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom