Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Vault Dweller Does Dragon Age II

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Click here and disable ads!
    Bah, you didn't finish the game? Weak. If I managed to finish Arcania, you should have finished this too :obviously:

But regardless, good stuff, all in all.
    ^ Top  
  2. Freelance Henchman Arcane

Freelance Henchman
    Project: Eternity
    This shouldn't even be fuck-uppable when it's already only a popamole action shooter with cinematics, yet I can't help but wonder what insanely long working hours can accomplish.
    ^ Top  
  3. Hazelnut Erudite

Hazelnut
    Good review, but surely a waste of your time VD - was it not obvious to the entire world what a POS this was going to be. I loved the DA:O a lot more than most people here, but every single piece of info about DA2 put me off, and I never had any intention of buying it. I did try the demo just because I was bored and Steam offered it. It was bad. A couple of things you never mentioned:

1. Combat was super fast ('dynamic' I assume) and there was no way to manage the party tactics like in the first game - just choose a char and sit hitting buttons when they light up... wheee.

2. Dialog was Mass Effected, becoming a total farce. I was surprised by what my character said multiple times in just the demo...

I don't understand the, hmmm that game was successful lets change the good stuff and cut as many corners to make more money. How is that a good long term investment in the IP that cost so much and took so long to develop?

:rpgcodex:
    ^ Top  
  4. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Thankfully such kind of *legal* slavery might be bizness as usual in the KWA but not here.
    ^ Top  
  5. Ladonna Liturgist

Ladonna
    There are bigger audiences out there and EAware wants to capture them, but also hold on to their current audience if they can. Really, I don't see why FPS fans would be interested in DA2, nor RPG fans. It is all part of the ongoing "making CRPG's for people that don't like CRPG's" shtick.

That was their intention anyway.

Good work VD. As usual.
    ^ Top  
  6. attackfighter Liturgist

attackfighter
    Heh, even in comparrison to Gaider they were deemed incompetent and so were shuffled away to made up busy work positions. What of "William Wallace", is he an actual employee?
    ^ Top  
  7. Pegultagol Augur

Pegultagol
    ME3 would probably be just like ME2 with more first day release DLCs, I think Bioware perfected a formula of sleaze action RPG in that series.
    ^ Top  
  8. Black Arcane

Black
    Hey VD, when is "VD does Age of Decadence" coming?
    ^ Top  
  9. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    VD provided a nice batch of screens but didn't have derp roads and exploding enemies screens. So I added some of my own screens with his permission.
    ^ Top  
  10. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Good review VD, I only don't agrree wih DA2 is good for what it is epillogue. It's turd period.
    ^ Top  
  11. Joghurt Scholar

Joghurt
    I'm 99% sure that the annoying mining minigame won't be in ME3. It it will still be there then it's just fucked up.
    ^ Top  
  12. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    " And what further exacerbates this is that there is no evidence whatsoever of the nature of the impending fight "

Bullshit. It should ahve beenc lear what was coming,a nd the game gave hints all the way back in Act 2 what was coming. And, i say that despite the fact that this fight was not one of my favorites in the game. R00fles!
    ^ Top  
  13. herostratus Magister

herostratus
    :smug:
    ^ Top  
  14. Mister Arkham Scholar

Mister Arkham
    Yeah, actually. I'm working off of the assumption that they're using the same engine and gameplay system as ME2 though. Sure, I would love to see the team re-deepen the play experience, bringing in some new elements or even re-integrating some old ones...but ME2's controls and play were at least solidly built. If they're just plugging new story content into an old system then we can at least trust that they're spending the lion's share of their development cycle on the characters and story.
    ^ Top  
  15. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Well, yeah. Can't deny, especially since I have one design draft built on the same premise ;-)

It is a simple core idea that can easily be built upon. Which is why it is baffling to see Bioware fail so spectacularly.
    ^ Top  
  16. Drakron Magister

Drakron
    Yes and no, apparently ME2 PS3 version had the engines improvements of ME3 and they did said they were going to add more RPG mechanics since ... well ME2 was barebones and you pretty much maxed about everything at the end, if it regained the same mechanics it would need another "wipe".

I dont think they could get very much "bare" that ME2 in terms of mechanics.
    ^ Top  
  17. SCO Arcane

SCO
    Jesus, what a fucking retard.
    ^ Top  
  18. random_encounter Educated

random_encounter
    So basically Laidlaw sacrificed any meaningful resolution for the sake of throwing in more even more combat?

I tried to see any difference in teaming up with either antagonist and was annoyed that it always ended in the same way as if there were no other path to explore, nevermind that there had been an implied choice earlier on to take control of the city itself that is never expanded past an obligatory pooh pooh mediation session. Then again, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at that point. All of the body bursting combat and "mages driven into desperation" should have at least dropped a few hints that it was going to be how things would ultimately turn out.

Spot on. DA2 utterly missed the chance to explore this. Then again, it's probably too much for Laidlaw to wrap his head around without having to kill everyone.
    ^ Top  
  19. Drakron Magister

Drakron
    No, its worst.

Plot wise Meredith is insane at that point so fighting he is a given so question is why you have to fight Orsino anyway? he simply go nuts either way no matter what you do in order to have another boss fight.

In fact characters end up different based on choices you made, if you pick male Hawke then Anders is now gay (or bi) as if you pick female Hawke there is no references of Anders being gay (or bi).

This is not coherent, as I think someone mentioned you can be a Apostate Mage that uses magic in front of Templars and they are oblivious to it, your brother can join the Templars and yet nothing.
    ^ Top  
  20. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "if you pick male Hawke then Anders is now gay (or bi) as if you pick female Hawke there is no references of Anders being gay (or bi)."

No, he's always gay. Stupid dumbass. Just b/c he doesn't tell his gay escapades doesn't mean he's not gay.
    ^ Top  
  21. Imbecile Arbiter

Imbecile
    Great review, without much ranting and raving. I was halfway tempted to get this because I vaguely enjoyed DAO, but I've been spared I think.
    ^ Top  
  22. random_encounter Educated

random_encounter
    VD's (excellent) review pointed that out and I was also surprised to see the change. You can simply opt to pick "Blood Magic" in the game without much of a consequence where in Origins, it was sort of a one-time offer. No instruction gleaned from a forbidden text, no "hidden teacher" willing to impart the secrets of blood magic to a willing apostate, no deal with a demon. As long as you have a specialization point to spend, welcome to the horribly reviled and supposedly difficult to enter Blood Mage Club.

And no one seems to be too put off by it enough to try and kill you which they do with every other blood mage in the game.

^ Top  
  23. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "can simply opt to pick "Blood Magic" in the game without much of a consequence where in Origins, it was sort of a one-time offer. No instruction gleaned from a forbidden text, no "hidden teacher" willing to impart the secrets of blood magic to a willing apostate, no deal with a demon. As long as you have a specialization point to spend, welcome to the horribly reviled and supposedly difficult to enter Blood Mage Club."

Actually, in DA1, my mage was able to become a blood mage without doing anything. LMFAO
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)