Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Vault Dweller Does Dragon Age II

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Radisshu Liturgist

Radisshu
    Click here and disable ads!
    There's a typo in the beginning of the article: Urguhart should be Urquhart.
    ^ Top  
  2. Antihero Educated

Antihero
    Don't know if this has been brought up, but here's some supposedly translated interview from their lead level designer. [Drama Mask] VD, I think you owe these people a public retraction. They just needed to fine tune the spawning breeding mechanic. Not that a wave must always be a bad thing, like a memorable ambush, but not as a "mechanic" for most encounters in an RPG.

^ Top  
  3. Mister Arkham Scholar

Mister Arkham
    Oh, so I guess that makes it a company mandate, then.

Excellent review VD. The further I get from that horrible hour I spent with the demo, the happier I am that I didn't want to buy the whole thing--and you're not changing my mind at all. (in an awesome, well-balanced way)
    ^ Top  
  4. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Good review. :salute:
    ^ Top  
  5. made Arcane

made
    I see. Those must be some immensely shitty games - or just crash on start-up. Maybe you subscribe to the school of thought that argues any game deserves at least a 5/10 simply if it runs at all.

It's the same issue I had with your FNV review: the conclusion doesn't follow from the preceding analysis. In this case it's even more extreme: you imply that combat sucks, loot sucks, story sucks, exploration sucks, various mechanics suck. Well, what's left? Shouldn't there be some redeeming features? I don't think you mention even one aspect of the game you actually like. Oh right, the setting has "potential" - is that enough to call it mediocre overall?
    ^ Top  
  6. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    EA does what EA does. Buy a solid studio. Milk it and its IC dry untill it can give no more. Close the studio. Rince and repeat. Bye Bioware. Was nice knowing ya.

Anyone still having hope for MEIII?
    ^ Top  
  7. Marquess Cornwallis Savant

Marquess Cornwallis
    Good review as usual. Having read it, I feel I can safely continue to ignore DA2's very existence.
    ^ Top  
  8. Lesifoere Arbiter

Lesifoere
    :thumbsup:

VD played this so we wouldn't have to. Truly he has suffered for the Codex's sins.
    ^ Top  
  9. Excommunicator Magister

Excommunicator
    This review makes DA2 sound like a really poor game. Fortunately I had no interest in playing it to begin with.

Too bad metacritic wouldn't take the Codex seriously enough to list it though.
    ^ Top  
  10. asper Cipher

asper
    Project: Eternity
    :x
    ^ Top  
  11. Devil Scholar

Devil
    Can one of you guys be BRO and post in that thread that about VD being an indie dev and AoD. If AoD ever comes out it should earn him a couple of more $. Time to start marketing, yo.
    ^ Top  
  12. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    That's a great idea. No, this is not sarcasm btw - everyone knows that sarcasm doesn't translate well in text. Haha.
    ^ Top  
  13. attackfighter Liturgist

attackfighter
    I do.

Bioware is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, in that their Mass Effect team is decent where as their Dragon Age team is full of psychotic retards such as Stan Woo and Chris priestly.

I suppose the sole reason for the DA dev team was to purge the undesirables from their ranks and keep them confined away from society.
    ^ Top  
  14. Devil Scholar

Devil
    Shut up or it's eternal damnation for you, mate.
    ^ Top  
  15. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    With hindsight this is what happened: after formatting the review I approved it. The review appeared on the frontpage in the content-section, the comments thread appeared in the news and content forum but the newspost itself didn't appear on the frontpage. That's why I made a second newspost manually which was then deleted by Jason. So the problem is, while content and comments thread appear normally, the newspost itself doesn't appear on the frontpage (but it must be in created in the DB I'd wager since the *Latest News* section displays it).
    ^ Top  
  16. janjetina Arcane

janjetina
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Please light a match.

This is worse than Gaider's exponential complexity. He is saying that it's the retardo wheel that holds conversation options, and not the underlying array of strings or whichever data structures he is using. You have to be a complete dumbfuck that is unable to distinguish from high level interface and low level implementation. What he is really saying is that they used a statically allocated array with 6 elements in DA and statically allocated array with 10 elements in DA 2. Now this is a pinnacle of retardo level software design and programming.

As for the rest, it's the old ''reading is hard, books are obsolete and education is for losers" argument. What is his level of education anyway?
    ^ Top  
  17. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    The Biowhores....liked the review? How is this possible? There is hope after all! Eh, not a chance, Bioware will just disregard anything negative the critics have said, and make DA3 even more welcoming.
    ^ Top  
  18. Gord Arcane

Gord
    :retarded:
    ^ Top  
  19. circ Arcane

circ
    Well that cleared it up perfectly.

It's like those tv-shows where serial rapists get off from the prosecutor and detectives because he's a government contractor.

Except a blood mage is probably closer to Hitler walking around according to BioWare writers. Pretty sure Hitler is exempt from prosecution immunity.
    ^ Top  
  20. Pegultagol Augur

Pegultagol
    Well, I did the high dragon battle and it was one of the few bright spots in the game in my opinion, after suffering through a deluge of filler mobs to be honest. The thing that really bothered me was that there is no save function so if you do not manage to make it through the battle, you have to go through the whole slog again from the beginning. And what further exacerbates this is that there is no evidence whatsoever of the nature of the impending fight; it is as if the developers just put the high level creature without any consideration for the player's level of preparedness and it was a big surprise when it actually triggered. Here the filler mobs actually serve their purpose of helping replenish some health and stamina potions...there are such encounters that really test your mettle even on normal difficulty but they seem to be hidden or triggered only when you decide to explore the horrid environment.

I agree mostly with the review, and it is well written. However, it seems in trying to explain the mechanics underlying this trainwreck, necessary plot points had to be divulged somewhat. It is a review that informs a lot that is wrong with the game but also serves to commiserate with others who had already gone through it enough to understand its gameplay and are seeking some measure of consensus or even closure with their personal beliefs regarding the game. VD put the words out of my mouth, couldn't have put it to writing better.
    ^ Top  
  21. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    "Don't mess with that dude, he presses a button and something awesome happens."
    ^ Top  
  22. Matt7895 Magister Patron

Matt7895
    Codex 2014 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    A well-reasoned and thought out review VD, as I have come to expect from you. I really hope some of the lead designers of this game happen to read it.
    ^ Top  
  23. Matt7895 Magister Patron

Matt7895
    Stan Woo and Chris Priestly are QA people, they aren't developers. But the DA team does have David Gaider, who wrote this mess, so I still take your point.

As you say, ME is made by a different team so DA2 is not indicative of the quality of ME3.
    ^ Top  
  24. the_unshaved_masses Novice

the_unshaved_masses
    QA=quality assurance

Where was the quality in Daatoo?
    ^ Top  
  25. Matt7895 Magister Patron

Matt7895
    Woo and Priestly are more like community people.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)