Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Vault Dweller Does Dragon Age II

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Inziladun Arbiter

Inziladun
    Click here and disable ads!
    I convey sarcasm every day to my girlfriend via text message.
    ^ Top  
  2. sser Arcane

sser
    :salute:
    ^ Top  
  3. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    There's some weird fucking bug with Calis' old approval system. Every-time I try it works fine for me and happily creates the corresponding news item. So far it hasn't worked for anyone else. Next time you approve some content, I've changed it to output a bunch of messages. Copy-paste them and PM to me.

It should have. That was changed and was thoroughly tested... If there were two, I'm gonna say it worked fine and you deleted the wrong one by mistake maybe?
    ^ Top  
  4. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    This is either sarcastic, and so self-defeating -- or insincere :/
    ^ Top  
  5. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    This thread is the first one. When I posted in it it was the only one visible from the forums and at the same time the one linked to the "Comment" word at the bottom of the review.
    ^ Top  
  6. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    L0L And, people complain about video game bugs.. the codex can't even post a simple review without it getting buggy. HAHAHAHA!
    ^ Top  
  7. Sulimo Cipher

Sulimo
    From the link to the Biosocial thread earlier:

So wait, we're the laughing stock of the gaming community? I thought we were a prestigious Magazine. My heart is broken.
    ^ Top  
  8. zodden Scholar

zodden
    Good review...

I really wanted to like this game as I enjoyed the first one immensely. Now I am not even going to pirate this turkey. Maybe I will try two worlds 2 instead.

Very disappointed in Bioware-hopefully they will have done a better job with the Old Republic-we shall see.
    ^ Top  
  9. Serious_Business Magister

Serious_Business
    Was expecting bigger shitstorm. Am very dissapoint
    ^ Top  
  10. Xi Augur

Xi
    This might be the shiniest turd we've ever seen. I was even tempted to touch it. Thankfully I caught a whiff before it was too late!

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  11. Antihero Educated

Antihero
    One part I take exception to is the unqualified use of the word always. I can see where some one-liners might straddle the line of ambiguity, being among a variety of different sounding player choices that you can't take back. But while you could just rewrite pure text and sacrifice style for more clarity, text alone would still win out in "[Stupid Mask Icon] that's wonderful!" vs "Sarcasm: that's wonderful!" (or just "That's wonderful! <Sarcastic>"), or God forbid, let the player figure out the context themselves.

In other words, like Xi's picture above, just sprinkles on top.
    ^ Top  
  12. Occasionally Fatal Arbiter

Occasionally Fatal
    :salute: Well done sir, excellent review.
    ^ Top  
  13. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Good stuff :salute:

And that Mike Laidlaw quote is pure gold. How stupid do you have to be, to be Mike Laidlaw?
    ^ Top  
  14. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    [​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  15. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Except Indiana Jones didn't stand there accusing 4chan of trolling him when the cave started collapsing and the boulder came at him.
    ^ Top  
  16. Drakron Prophet

Drakron
    According to Awakening credits he is "Dragon Age Franchise Lead Designer", then again I wonder why exactly he is at BioWare ... he is credited as a Lead Writer in Jade Empire and Additional Designer in Mass Effect but beyond that (and DA:O were he is one of the Lead Designers) there is just "Special Thanks" that I have no idea what it means, oldest title I see with his name in Mobygames is NWN:HotU expansion so I would guess he was hired to work as a writer on Jade Empire.

Now consider that he was Lead Writer on Jade Empire and consider that "Text is always a pretty horrible medium for conveying sarcasm or sincerity" statement.
    ^ Top  
  17. Karmapowered Learned

Karmapowered
    Jade Empire had better writing than DA2.

I am not even kidding.

I think Bioware's game would be much better off without Laidlaw, Gaider and whoever that untalented art director is.
    ^ Top  
  18. attackfighter Liturgist

attackfighter
    This is probably the most informative and least biased DA2 review out there, good job!!! :salute:
    ^ Top  
  19. RK47 Incline Breaker Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    What about the romance?
    ^ Top  
  20. RK47 Incline Breaker Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    [​IMG]

:smug:
    ^ Top  
  21. DemonKing Prophet

DemonKing
    "I love you." does the trick then?

Seriously though - great review.

I can't understand why they went for the trash-mob combat after everyone complained about the overuse of such mobs in the original (obviously deisgning difficult combats take time).

I also hated the loss of the fully-texted conversation options.

The repetition of identical areas was unforgivable - I remember the genuine NERD RAGE when they reused a single small map from BG in BG2 but now it seems the lemmings will happily put up with trudging through identical caverns over and over again.

The Quest design is also retarded - I just go from location to location on the map hunting down icons on the minimap and they either give me a quest or reward me even though usually I can't remember either the quest given or what I did to receive the reward.

The less said about the inventory system, the better.
    ^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    :love:
    ^ Top  
  23. Cynic Augur

Cynic
    Excellent stuff, I lol'd a lot. The Dweller speaks the truth.
    ^ Top  
  24. Dicksmoker Augur

Dicksmoker
    Well I guess they're not all tards.

Anyway, on topic, wow! I've downloaded a torrent, but after reading that I'm wondering if I should bother playing the game at all. I thought it might not be THAT bad, especially considering VD's initial impressions over at ITS.

Do you really end up losing all your family members no matter what? Bioware games have always been heavily scripted in the story department, but that's a new low.

That bit about Bethany would have severely pissed me off. Do you know what exactly they're going to do with her (imprison her, kill her, etc.)? Do you AT LEAST get the chance to get even with them at a later time?
    ^ Top  
  25. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Jesus, everyone liked it. I guess all the true believers are at the "DA2 owners only" forum.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)