Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller can you tell us the tale of your game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Thanks for the support. It truly means a lot to us.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes. GoG's interested too and we've been in contact with them for a while. They appear to be true bros and good people to deal with.

But bro they will just slap a scene crack onto it and present it as an official release, do you truly want this to happen to you?

Saduj

Arcane
Yes. GoG's interested too and we've been in contact with them for a while. They appear to be true bros and good people to deal with.

:incline:

I would deal with Steam's bullshit to get this game but I'd prefer if it weren't necessary.

Deleted member 7219

I'm looking forward to my two digital copies of Wasteland 2. I'm hoping I'll have one on GOG.com and one on Steam. Steam is good for the updates and the ease of having everything in one application, GOG.com is good for the extras. I like both.

MCA
Anyone that is short on money and want to buy (or pre-order) both WL2 and AoD but can only afford one: if you spend it on AoD, I'll give you my (eventual) extra copy of WL2 when it's released.

But if you spend it on PE instead, screw you, race traitors don't get shit from me.

EG

Nullified
The core design stays there and is not being reevaluated again.

I'm sure it is still very tempting right now to just take a really deep breath and hack away at AoD until it has all the features that people initially expected of it, and then sit back and reap the rewards including what would probably be the guaranteed funds to produce a sequel.

And never finish it, as oldfags die and newfags demand new features. :(

It's already great for what it is.

Not tempting at all. Changing the core design to please a handful of people who wanted to play a different game doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

We designed the game this way for a reason. I'm not saying it's the bestest RPG ever - it's not. It's a different kind of RPG with its own strengths and weaknesses. I can only hope that enough people will appreciate the strengths.

I see what you did there

Of course it's too late to make changes like that. That would be irresponsible to all the people who have paid already. Like I said earlier in this thread, the best option is getting it done and out the door. If you could get a large enough audience to support the basic design into the future then that would be awesome. Hopefully steam will eventually open that pathway up to you

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Vaulty, you made a big mistake by not making the game party based. WTF is the point of having it turnbased if it isn't going to be true party based (i.e. you generate a party and/OR you control the entire party during combat)

I hope it is successful though, because then you will hopefully make a turnbased, partybased dark medieval fantasy rpg. Also, please complete your Star Trail review, last update was over a year ago I think (it's a great review though so please complete it)

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
whoops, it appears you did finish it! Great review Vince, but you didn't mention the real final battle against the dragon! One of the best boss fights ever AND one of the best dragon fights ever!! :D

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Vault Dweller
If AoD is greenlit, will you allow it to go up on Steam, or is it still a point of discussion ? I would love for you to get the exposure such a platform provides, if you are allowed to keep a decent price on the game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
We'd love to be on Steam if we aren't forced to drop the price right away. If it is an issue, we can go on Steam at a later date. GoG understands my "moral dilemma" and is willing to find a good solution, so there is that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We'd love to be on Steam if we aren't forced to drop the price right away. If it is an issue, we can go on Steam at a later date. GoG understands my "moral dilemma" and is willing to find a good solution, so there is that.

Run a poll with your preorderers. Ask them if they'd agree to let you drop the price on Steam right away.

likaq

Arcane
Aod is worth much more than 25$. Not only is one of the most ambitious crpg released in the last 20 years, it belong to dead genre ( iso+tb crpg) .​

Vault Dweller

Developer
First, *I* don't agree. Charging more for pre-orders than for the released game is dickery. At ITS, we frown upon dickery.

Second, polls are useless as you never get full participation. Let's say 200 people out of 475 say "go for it!" What would that tell us? Nothing. I'm very, very grateful to everyone who decided to support us by pre-ordering and I won't forget it the moment Steam contacts us.

Third, Steam has not greenlit us yet and we have no idea what Steam's position on pricing is. Why worry about it now? While eventually the price will go down, I have no intentions of dropping it on release just to be on Steam or any other platform.

EG

Nullified
Do you know anything the terms Steam presents to developers/publishers? I imagine it's more than just price.

Vault Dweller

Developer
No idea, never looked into it. If you mean the split, I think it's 60/40.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
First, *I* don't agree. Charging more for pre-orders than for the released game is dickery. At ITS, we frown upon dickery.

Second, polls are useless as you never get full participation. Let's say 200 people out of 475 say "go for it!" What would that tell us? Nothing. I'm very, very grateful to everyone who decided to support us by pre-ordering and I won't forget it the moment Steam contacts us.

Third, Steam has not greenlit us yet and we have no idea what Steam's position on pricing is. Why worry about it now? While eventually the price will go down, I have no intentions of dropping it on release just to be on Steam or any other platform.
If we preorder your game through website will it give us a steam key whenever that will come out or we would have to buy it seperately?

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Hmm, I don't know if that is possible, but you could create the poll on ITS only for people who per-ordered it already asking, whether they would be fine with selling it later on Steam for, say 19.99$ (hell even 14.99$ if they are that much of fucktards) for example.

I mean, it feels like dickery, but I am sure that most of us who already preordered will not be bothered. Afterall we want to see it released everywhere and make profit so you can continue with your passion.

There is another thing however: How much are you valuing your work - I, for one, was convinced that 25$ is more than fair enough for what we've seen and what we were promised. In fact, if we get all that, full price is perfectly justified. So, selling it for e.g. 7.99$ would be sort of agreeing with the statement: "yeah, we know it is small shit, indie and whatever", which it is clearly NOT.

To sum it up, you should consider selling it on Steam for 19.99$, if that's the max you can hope for. You can add some bonus digitsl-only goodies for us, backers later.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If Steam wants him to drop the price, and he knows he's eventually going to drop it, couldn't VD just put it on Steam 6-12 months later and then everyone is happy?

Vault Dweller

Developer
If we preorder your game through website will it give us a steam key whenever that will come out or we would have to buy it seperately?
I think it will be possible as I'm pretty sure we'll be able to issue Steam keys as gifts and give them to people who pre-ordered, but I have no idea if AoD is going to be on Steam and I don't what to promise anything. If you pre-order directly from us, you'll get the game directly from us, as well as all updates (as we constantly tweak and add things), so it's probably a better option than Steam anyway.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I mean, it feels like dickery...
If it feels like dickery, it most likely is dickery.

There is another thing however: How much are you valuing your work...
I don't think that anyone can say that my work is worth $25 (or 7.99) and not a dollar less. All I care about is being able to do it for a living and not go back to the corporate world.

Vault Dweller

Developer
If Steam wants him to drop the price, and he knows he's eventually going to drop it, couldn't VD just put it on Steam 6-12 months later and then everyone is happy?
That's what we will do if the price is a deal breaker.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
I think it will be possible as I'm pretty sure we'll be able to issue Steam keys as gifts and give them to people who pre-ordered, but I have no idea if AoD is going to be on Steam and I don't what to promise anything. If you pre-order directly from us, you'll get the game directly from us, as well as all updates (as we constantly tweak and add things), so it's probably a better option than Steam anyway.
I am going to back you either way with or without steam, I just wanted to see first if I can get a steam key if it comes out on it since I would prefer to have it in my library rather then going through various emails figuring out where my download link is

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom