Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller can you tell us the tale of your game?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It isn't out yet? I think when you first told us all that you were making AoD I was a teenager. Now I'm halfway through my 20's. It isn't out yet? It isn't even in public beta or some shit like that?

Everyone here knows I've been a member of this forum for a retarded amount of time. I was here when VD first announced this project. I was here to discuss design decisions and debates about shit retard RPG nerd shit. Years have passed. I know indie projects can be difficult, but holy shit. Am I going to be in my 30's before this game actually comes out? A game that was conceptualized when I was in my late teens?

The point of this thread, and I'm sure a Canadian cocksucker would ignore it, is to ask, why has it taken this long? Because surely, the only reason for it to take this long is difficulties. Problems with funds. Problems with finding programmers/talent. Problems with getting the job done. Problems with it all.

I can't speak for the coksuckers on this forum, but I generally root for indie devs and am much more likely to buy their games than pirate, unlike these pothead retards. But I do want to know, what is the process that leads to this? I'm not being dramatic, this is a serious question about the business practices of AoD. I don't pretend to know any nugget of shit about game development, and that's part of why I'm asking.

I WAS A FUCKING TEENAGER WHEN YOU STARTED THIS NOW IM OLD AND WILL DIE OF ALZHEIMERS BEFORE ITS OUT

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is an interesting question, and I am also interested about the story of this game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Investing one or two million bucks would have gone a long way towards releasing the game earlier. I'm sure a lot of the problems Vault Dweller had with developing AoD could have been solved better and much earlier if he just had more money.

EG

Nullified
It isn't out yet? I think when you first told us all that you were making AoD I was a teenager. Now I'm halfway through my 20's. It isn't out yet?

It must be tough, re-living Fan Made Fallout . . .

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Either kc's trolling or he hasn't paid attention to VD's numerous posts on this subject.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
It's taken so long because you're fucking fat. You move too slow. You're still a teenager, mentally. Don't worry though, you should be dead soon

Absalom

I just stumbled upon this thread but ^ made me bust out :lol:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yes he gave me mod powers and that proved to me that he has good judgment. However, there's only so much you can excuse before needing answers.\\

DwarvenFood yeah I rarely post in RPG Discussion. I read the threads but honestly there's not much that's interesting to really talk about. Obviously you think "this is RPG Codex you should talk about RPGs" but in reality theres not a lot to talk about

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
- it's an ambitious, very time-consuming project. We should have started small. Then again, had we started small, we would have never attempted to make something as complex as AoD. Yes, I know that some people think it's shit, but it doesn't make it any less complex.

- we had 0 experience. Learning on the job is very romantic, but very time-consuming, since a) your progress is very slow, compared to that of an experienced programmer, artist, writer, scripter, etc. and b) you learn by making a lot of mistakes that you have to fix later. It took us a long time to learn how to do things right, develop skills, tools, etc.

- we worked part-trime. You have good weeks and bad weeks. You have a shitty week at work, you're tired and stressed - you aren't going to get much done. You can force yourself to sit in front of a computer and stare at it dutifully, but you do nothing of value. At best, it will be nothing, at worst it will be something you'll be have to redo tomorrow. Overall, working part-time on an RPG is a very frustrating experience that requires much patience.

- I grossly underestimated how complex and time-consuming RPGs are and how much work even the smallest aspect would take.

EG

Nullified
There you go, KC. He admits his incompetence and wishes you'd act as his second, after he cuts out his intestines.

Sleepwalker

Novice
I dropped in to second the OP but to add something more constructive. I was a teenager when I first heard of Age of Decadence, and it filled me with excitement. Now here I am, halfway through my 20's and it still isn't out. I know it takes so long because you have lives and jobs outside of this, but have you considered kickstarter? Don't be discouraged, people are still paying attention, even after so long. This is a worthy project for kickstarter and would breathe a lot of life into the project.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sometimes pouring more money on it doesn't fix it. If you have a career, it may be quite hard to take a year off so you can finish your game project.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
come into this thread expecting some in-game lore.
found out it's 'i want a documentary of the making of AoD'
*leaves thread*

MCA
Making of AoD documentary, as The Brazilian Slaughter would think:

• VD smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee at work while reading piles of paper and taking a break every now and then to daydream about finishing AoD.
  • Oscar going out on a salsa night and then coming home and crying himself to sleep over time that he could have spent working on AoD
  • VD spending time with family:
    -What's the matter daddy, you are staring into emptiness again?
    -I'm thinking about decadence, honey. All the fun of decadence
    -Daddy, I'm scared!
    -Shhh, it will be swift and painless, Cassius. You just have to face it like a man
    -Da---ddy ---I--can't---brrr---reath!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
And what does sense of one's own worth have to do with anything?

EG

Nullified
And what does sense of one's own worth have to do with anything?

Apparently, if your clientele affects it, they can determine the speed at which you will work. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom