Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
haha, think if it was reversed.

SniperHF

Arcane
Seems like the sale had some impact. Average players went way way up this weekend.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's in top 25 as far as the popular list on Steam is concerned. So hopefully it is selling well.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i suggest making a Wiz-clone. cheap assets, no need for animation work, and provides the best foundation for rpg mechanics in terms of bang for the buck. you can make some money on an Iron Tower wiz-clone and then release another "word rpg" with the money raised by it.

easy to make DLC for it too; extra dungeon floors :D :D :D

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's in top 25 as far as the popular list on Steam is concerned. So hopefully it is selling well.
43,922. We sold more copies during this weekend than we did on launch.
How much was it discounted and did it affect your 45,000 needed count in any way?
40% off, didn't affect the goal as discounts were always planned (business as usual in the gaming industry). I didn't expect the sale to do so well, to be honest. I guess we got lucky.

Trashos

Arcane
I am only on my first playthrough (merchant, I partially messed up character creation but I 'm surviving), and it is already apparent to me that AoD sets new standards and high bars. I don't think it has reached its full audience yet, there are surely more than 50k people in the world who can appreciate its qualities (and can handle some frustration).

I bet big developers play AoD in their free time for inspiration, and then discuss during lunch how they wish they could make games like this.

PS. You have to change the 45k goal now.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The problem with Age of Decadence is that it's too obscure. Even much worse Underrail got way more press coverage and it's not a hit either. No press -> most people don't even know it exists -> sales are shitty. Even when some gaming site posts an article about it (I think PC Gamer did it) most people won't even click on the article when they see a screenshot and think it's some indie, amateurish game that should be given free. At least that what I thought when I first saw this game :D. But after I've played the Teron demo I've changed my mind completely. First impression can be a traitorous thing, now I consider it the best RPG along with Fallout 1 and Arcanum.
I bet big developers play AoD in their free time for inspiration, and then discuss during lunch how they wish they could make games like this.
:D :D :D

No, not by a long shot. Although I find it hard to believe that MCA played this game and liked it seeing how retarded he acted during his Arcanum playthrough.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
forgot2.jpg

Trashos

Arcane
The problem with Age of Decadence is that it's too obscure. Even much worse Underrail got way more press coverage and it's not a hit either. No press -> most people don't even know it exists -> sales are shitty. Even when some gaming site posts an article about it (I think PC Gamer did it) most people won't even click on the article when they see a screenshot and think it's some indie, amateurish game that should be given free. At least that what I thought when I first saw this game :D. But after I've played the Teron demo I've changed my mind completely. First impression can be a traitorous thing, now I consider it the best RPG along with Fallout 1 and Arcanum.

Yes, I can definitely see how AoD rings Fallout and Arcanum types of bells. This is very close to what I am thinking right now too, and AoD even does some things better. The sequence with Cado and Mercato in the tavern is breathtaking.

Maybe VD should try to find a way to market AoD to strategy gamers as well. I don't know how this should be done in practice, but those guys can handle frustration and may appreciate the challenge.

:D :D :D

No, not by a long shot. Although I find it hard to believe that MCA played this game and liked it seeing how retarded he acted during his Arcanum playthrough.

Maybe in the future one will have to declare himself an AoD fan just for the streetcred in RPG development circles! This doesn't sound too far-fetched to me, actually.
Don't you think that there must be AoD fans in Larian, Obsidian, InXile and Beamdog?

I remember reading that pop singer Blondie used to listen to Cpt Beefheart in her free time. And I know that many shitty pop singers listen to obscure but quality rock bands. Talented people sometimes choose to just make money, but many of them still know what quality is.

Last edited:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
At first 40% looked like a huge discount, to be frank. It's not been that long after release after all. But maybe it's a nice psychological gain, since it looks much bigger then measly 1/3 or 33%.

I'm really happy that it sold that well. It means that it can still sell buckets once again on 40% during the next big sale.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
around when it was released, i convinced some people on gamefaqs and my friend list. no sale, but they added the game to the wishlist.

i see they don't even budge even on 40%

:<

anyway what is the completion rate of the game? i see games sell for hundreds of thousand but heard only like half or even less completed it.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's so refreshing to "hear" VD talk about sales numbers and how they went. I don't have to guess what he actually says, read between the lines, interpret etc. I really appreciate it.

Old One

Arcane
I think it's a hopeful sign and not luck at all. Word-of-mouth has obviously been good, but that doesn't mean people aren't going to wait for a sale. Everyone waits for sales these days.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I thought that our post-sale sales would hit the floor for a few weeks but we sold 3 times the daily average today.

Mozg

Arcane
Sales probably boost people talking about it among their friends/in online communities, and then price-insensitive people that hadn't heard much about it want to get in on it too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom