Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

almondblight

Arcane
Vault Dweller, did you ever consider holding all the post-release content and adding them in as a free AOD Enhanced Edition later on?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No. I think it's more important to release updates while people are still playing the game rather than 6 months later when most people move on. I still didn't try WL2 Director's Cut, for example.

almondblight

Arcane
I always assumed the main benefit to the extended editions is that they end up showing up as a new release, so they can get something like the sales bounce games get on release (obviously less of one, but still more than normal sales).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, I don't know.
Usually, I consider coming back to a game when a major revamp of sorts is released.
Or buying it to begin with if I skipped the initial release.

I mean, what good will it do me if some extra content arrives for the starting area when I am at the end?
I don't replay games right away (not story based ones, at least), more like half a year or year later.

Constant content updates in patches simply don't work as well as a sales increase for a story based game as enhanced editions IMO.
And I also do not see something bad in selling an enhanced edition / director's cut, if the owners of the original one get it for free.
Those who already have the game get the bonus stuff more or less like a patch, while it will also increase visibility in stores.

Where is the bad thing about that?
Holding back some improvements for some time to "gather" them for the enhanced edition?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"After a couple of years of great RPGs—The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Pillars of Eternity, Fallout 4, and even South Park: The Stick of Truth"

:dead:

It's good AoD got attention,but damn the guy played 2 quests and wrote whole article,talk about lazy.

SniperHF

Arcane
It's good AoD got attention,but damn the guy played 2 quests and wrote whole article,talk about lazy.

I dunno, I wouldn't be so hard on him. For instance he got this part:

As the player, it's my job to recognize dangerous scenarios and avoid them. I'd say it's a lot like life in that regards,

Even reviewers who praise the game fail to get this on occasion.

Cadmus

Arcane

As the player, it's my job to recognize dangerous scenarios and avoid them. I'd say it's a lot like life in that regards,

This is a really uhmm enlightened view from a stupid journo so he gets points for this.

My favourite new definition of the flawed gem (TM)
I really need to give it another try.. The camera angles are crap, the UI sucks but I do like the game idea.

It is like a 5 year old tried to bake mommy chocolate chip cookies. Good cookies but kinda flawed in some ways.. However, the love that kid put in those cookies?? Bonus points for that..

Aenra

Admittedly, sure, the dialogue/text box could have been better. Likewise, a scaling option (am aware Elhoin has explained it) wouldn't have hurt. Both however are minor..one entails clicking your mouse an extra time after every reload, the other does not even affect me tbh, games like AoD i don't exactly play at 9000x4000 resolutions anyway. So.. details.

The irony is that this same MORAN, sorry i meant respected journalist, has probably zero issues with Witcher 3's UI.

/support your local eugenics institution

Johannes

Arcane

More accurately, it's your job to test out the dangerous scenarios and find out what you need to beat them.

A more player-friendly warning might be to tell that you need to metagame a lot, rather than just stay out of trouble. Since the latter'll just deprive you of SPs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sales slowed down, which is to be expected as the game's been out for 5 months already. We sold 32,746 as of Jan 2, so we sold about 3,500 copies in 3.5 month. If we continue at this rate (1,000 copies a month) we'll sell 8,500 copies by the end of the year and hit 45k copies overall.

Cadmus

Arcane
Well, I told all my friends to try the demo and buy the game but since there's words you need to read and it's not Skyrim I haven't had any success.

EDIT: Actually one guy who I guess is a tabletop player really liked the combat and thought the game looked pretty but I don't think he'll play it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Well i have atleast 3 closer friends who liked fallout 1+2 alot, so ill just force them to their luck and gift it to them for birthday or something.

bat_boro

Arcane
Sales slowed down, which is to be expected as the game's been out for 5 months already. We sold 32,746 as of Jan 2, so we sold about 3,500 copies in 3.5 month. If we continue at this rate (1,000 copies a month) we'll sell 8,500 copies by the end of the year and hit 45k copies overall.

So basically so far so good?
If that's the case, then good to hear it bro!

Weasel
Have you decided on any particular strategy when it comes to future Steam sales?
Meaning what, bigger discounts? Most likely.

Yes, I was just wondering as some games seem to steadily increase discounts as time goes on and others seem to instead go for a significant jump in discount at some point, presumably to attract attention. I had also seen discussions about "flash" sales and daily deals and how useful they are but it seems Steam now has a different approach:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-01-12-new-approach-from-valve-pays-dividends-in-winter-sale

"Our hypothesis was that this new format would be a better way to serve customers that may only be able to visit Steam once or twice during the 13-day event," the Valve post explains. "We also saw this change as an opportunity to showcase a deeper variety of titles to customers each day, while having confidence that any game being highlighted would be at its lowest discount.

"As a result of this format change, we were able to encourage customers to browse through their Discovery Queue, thereby surfacing a string of personalized recommendations including titles that aren't otherwise highlighted on the home page.

Anyway, good to hear it's going quite well.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Our hypothesis was that this new format would be a better way to serve customers that may only be able to visit Steam once or twice during the 13-day event," the Valve post explains. "We also saw this change as an opportunity to showcase a deeper variety of titles to customers each day, while having confidence that any game being highlighted would be at its lowest discount.

"As a result of this format change, we were able to encourage customers to browse through their Discovery Queue, thereby surfacing a string of personalized recommendations including titles that aren't otherwise highlighted on the home page.

Anyway, good to hear it's going quite well.
Steam recommendations are still like "You like strategy games? Buy Counter-Strike."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom