Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Infinitron, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Elhoimgender: ⚧ Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Still planned for this year. I've already set up all levels and a very basic layout, started refining them, playing around with visual concepts. Stopped a bit for now to set up the thieving update.

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  2. himmygender: ⚧ Arcane

himmy
    Parrots:

Novelty games that are specifically made to create social media buzz have better sales than a hardcore RPG that requires you put hours upon hours of effort into playing? Are you one of those people that also complains Beyonce is more popular than "insert local punk band"?

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  3. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Thanks for the reply. You could throw us a bone and post some screenshots or something to hype things up (not now but ASAP of course). It makes me sad that Underrail gets so much more attention than Age of Decadence (not only in Poland, eurogamer has published article about it and it did not once mention AoD).

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Goral

It's still planned for this year. We're working on all 3 games simultaneously at this point.

AoD: we're planning to release an update in early Feb, then we'll take a few months break and focus on the crawler; we'll probably do the final update in May or so.

Dungeon crawler: we have the flow and all 4 levels mapped. Oscar's working on the levels. Nick's working on the party-based setup. Ivan's making new critters. While so far we're on schedule, it doesn't mean much because we're at a very early stage where everything always goes well. We won't run into any issues until we put the game together and see what we got.

CSG: we're working on the setting, factions, and locations. I'm waiting for Mazin to finish a couple concepts and then I'll post a proper update.

• Brofist Brofist x 17
    ^ Top  
  5. tgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

t
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Why the break in AoD development? Is it just to gather a lot of feedback for the final balance thing? I know you're very attached to your dearest baby, but the best policy seems to me to be do one thing at a time and stop altoghether.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Because it's the last update and I want to take some time to think it through. Gathering feedback won't hurt either.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  7. Dicksmokergender: ⚧ Arcane

Dicksmoker
    Parrots:
    :hmmm:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    You posting this image is funny considering what your nick is. I would assume you would agree.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Is there a specific eurogamer writer that you think might be interested in AoD?

^ Top  
  10. Invictusgender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Fuck those pseudo reviewers; I bought a copy to the Bunnyhop guy and sent him the code, and somebody exchanged it on gog a couple of weeks ago (probably not even him) and not only did he not even acknowledge it by saying thanks or posting something about the game...much even less reviewing the damn thing. Guess he is too busy for non japanese indies; the fucking hipster

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Johannesgender: ⚧ Arcane

Johannes
    Parrots:
    I'm eagerly waiting for the sequel, Docking with Son.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. StaticSpinegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I can understand why Crisis, Mass Effect, Fallout are way more popular. But that shit? 2 000 000+ for goat simulator?

^ Top  
  13. hivemindgender: ⚧ Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    13 yo kids and genuine autists.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Well, it is cheap and fun to play around with for some few hours, then put it away.
    As soon as games enter the region < 10$, the threshold to buy them just becomes a lot lower, even if people do not expect a great game.

Heck, I spend 13€ to be amused in the cinema for ~2 hours, why not spend half of it for probably the same amount of amusement time?
    Certainly cheaper than hookers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. StaticSpinegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Okay, I got the point about pricing.

But another thing - are we, the ones who played and loved original Fallouts, PS:T, Arcanum etc in late 90s-early 00s - the core audience of AoD - so few? Only 33 000 people?

^ Top  
  16. Higher Gamegender: ⚧ Arcane

Higher Game
    Parrots:
    We are in the Kali Yuga.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  17. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    New ones growing up, of course.
    I met a few people in lectures that are as disappointed in "major gaming" as we are and look to games with more in-depth mechanics and more challenge.

I don't think this will ever stop, it will just never be the main gaming audience again.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. StaticSpinegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    The Age of Decadence

:smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  19. SniperHFgender: ⚧ Prophet

SniperHF
    Parrots:
    More or less.

Obviously edges more mainstream than AoD but so were those games you mentioned.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. StaticSpinegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    StaticSpine It's the number of people who own WL2 & PoE & D:OS, not WL2 + PoE + D:OS.

But it's worth noting that number might be larger by now, since PoE, the most recent game in that trio, has since been on several sales.

^ Top  
  22. Dicksmokergender: ⚧ Arcane

Dicksmoker
    Parrots:
    The core audience of AOD is not the same as the people who played Fallout, PS:T, and Arcanum and loved them. It's a lot less. Because the games aren't really similar at all.

^ Top  
  23. StaticSpinegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Of course AoD is not a copycat of any of those games, but the target audience is the same, no?

^ Top  
  24. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    Of course not, those games were main stream rpg back then. You need to compare AoD to obscure games from previous eras.

^ Top  
  25. Dicksmokergender: ⚧ Arcane

Dicksmoker
    Parrots:
    There's significant differences. Many here, for instance, were expecting AOD to essentially be Fallout in a Roman setting, and were disappointed to find out that wasn't the case (when the first demo was released). It's unlike any other rpg that's been released.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)