Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Infinitron, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Suddenly, doom and gloom: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,6807.msg139950.html#msg139950

I feel a little guilty for coming up with the "urban intrigue simulator" moniker now...

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    ^ Top  
  2. Stompagender: ⚧ Arcane

Stompa
    Parrots:
    Now if only someone would shill this game as much as PoE around here

• Brofist Brofist x 30
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The RPG Codex is the worst site at promoting Age of Decadence, except for all the other sites

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  4. TZ3Kgender: ⚧ Arcane

TZ3K
    Parrots:
    Just about everybody on the Dex knows about AoD so we don't need any shills, however theres probably quite a number of members who haven't bought it because its not complete.

VD's gotta get the game on GoG, which has had some problems if i recall, and assemble a crack team of AoD shill commandos to various forums and social media if he wants to hit 30K.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  6. TZ3Kgender: ⚧ Arcane

TZ3K
    Parrots:
    My bad. Got mixed up with Underrail.
    Has AoD been shown off at any cons after IGF in 2013?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Zorba the Huttgender: ⚧ Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    Yes, it looks as though selling 30k copies in a year is a tough ask, unless something unexpected happens (someone with a lot of reach taking an interest). Perhaps people like Swen putting the word out will help.

I still think this will be a timeless classic with a very long tail in terms of sales, as more people discover the game. So I just hope it doesn't become bundle fodder (out of necessity) too soon.

As Likaq just posted on the other thread, the time they spend on improving AoD is obviously linked to how well it initially sells, so it's in all our interests to get the word out as much as possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  8. Mer1gender: ⚧ Novice

Mer1
    Parrots:
    The first arena combat demo was pretty good, but I found the latest one a fugly mess with clunky gameplay.
    I do hope they will reach the target though, plans for next games were somewhat interesting iirc

^ Top  
  9. Robert Jarzebinagender: ⚧ Guest

Robert Jarzebina
    They should add zombies to the game, and rename it with "Dead" in the title, ohh wait....

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Coppergender: ⚧ Savant

Copper
    Parrots:
    just need to tap that Game of Thrones audience. 'Murder. Lust. Betrayal. Few will survive - the Age of Decadence.'

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  11. Awor Szurkrarzgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
  12. Blackstaffgender: ⚧ Savant

Blackstaff
    Parrots:
    And that's the reality of video game sales and that's why the 80k games sold by HBS for SRHK in only a month is in fact a good performance that nets them more than a million dollars in profits and a good potential for promotion sales later on... ;)

I already preorder AOD by BMT three years ago, but I plan to buy another copy on GOG on the release date. Can't bring the incline without doing some sacrifice :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. I'm With Her Mustawdgender: ⚧ for prison Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    $30 at half price (to include steam discounts over time) = $15 game

$15 game X 30,000 copies = $450,000

Wow...that seems like a lot of cheddar to be profitable...what gives? Have the expenses been that high to make this thing? $450k, on top of what they've already sold, seems like an extremely high threshold.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    I suspect it's not so much a matter of "expenses" but more "what amount of money do I need to continue on making big RPGs without having to get a real job again".

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Zorba the Huttgender: ⚧ Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    I'm sure VD will answer but bear in mind:
    - taxes, Steam fees come off that
    - this is a small team of people who have put in years of work with little pay, I guess hoping to get something to live on and replenish savings when the game comes out
    - they want to "secure their future", ie: fund the next couple of years to make the next game

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. I'm With Her Mustawdgender: ⚧ for prison Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Time for a kickstarter figstarter?

Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Cazzerisgender: ⚧ Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Parrots:
    I find it funny how VD thinks that Dead State sold very well, while the Mitsodas found it to be not enough to keep them making more CRPGs for the next few years. This is how you know who has real passion for this genre.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  18. likaqgender: ⚧ Arcane

likaq
    Parrots:
    Ugh, Dead State team was/is much bigger, therefore they need more revenue to keep making crpgs.

Edit: DS sales were great from VD perspective, not so much from 10+ team ( doublebear ) perspective.

^ Top  
  19. TZ3Kgender: ⚧ Arcane

TZ3K
    Parrots:
    Its not like VD's "next" game will be on the Torque engine right?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Cazzerisgender: ⚧ Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Parrots:
    That doesn't mean having that team was necessary at all. If I remember correctly, Dead State's development started not too long after TAoD's, but it was the one with the smaller and less experienced team and zero Kickstarter dollars the game that feels reasonably polished near release, features content that never feels repetitive and most likely will be remembered for many years to come as a better and more creative game.

The dungeon crawler set in that prison Dellar talked about in TAoD will definitely be developed using Torque, but the Generation Ship RPG will probably be on the Unreal Engine 4.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. likaqgender: ⚧ Arcane

likaq
    Parrots:
    Dead State's development started in 2009, AoD's in 2004.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. I'm With Her Mustawdgender: ⚧ for prison Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:

Why not? It's got all the functionality...although, I remember reading something about the unreal engine? Dunno, that might have been a different game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TZ3Kgender: ⚧ Arcane

TZ3K
    Parrots:
    I was just thinking it was a bit long in the tooth and wondering what the costs for developing on a new engine would be.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Cazzerisgender: ⚧ Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Parrots:
    Hmm, I was wrong then. Still the $332.635 they received makes me think they are more interested in getting enough revenue than in just developing CRPGs, at least when compared with TAoD's team.

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Zorba the Huttgender: ⚧ Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)