Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think VD should have done some preorder bonus: "Buy AoD Deluxe Edition, included exclusive Easy mode only available at Irontowerstudious.com, making hardcore RPGs since you were a little boy." It would be a hit with the "I just want to click things until they die" crowd.

Pretty sure that in this day of dispersed internet, you could make up a bunch of sites and reviewers, register them and post the quotes you want (for, like, 2 minutes - just make a few Tumblr pages then take them down straight after) so that you aren't lying, and plaster their 10/10 reviews and wildly positive comments all over the marketing material.

The major sites themselves have zero credibility, folk just want to know it isn't shovelware, and the appearance of reviews and recommendations helps clear that hurdle.

zwanzig_zwoelf

The game is not out of the Early Access yet, so I assume making a final release should drive the sales a little bit, since I remember seeing comments like 'I won't buy it until it's out'. But that's just an assumption.
Meanwhile I'm trying to persuade a few people to try the demo and buy the game if they like it. As $$$ is pretty expensive here, I doubt it will be of much use, but eh.

The story of a corporate wage slave throwing everything off to make niche, near extinct genre of computer games is engaging and interesting. It could be used as a marketing ploy to bring some media cover.

Cthulhu_is_love

Should we buy it a second time?
I already made some propaganda, but then i mentioned the codex. Well...

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
On release, you just need to ham up how many years you've been working on it, how it's only for Tru Fans, and how you'll never make any money on it. That's a sob story that Kotaku will go crazy for.

Mustawd

Grow a beard and shave it off on the air. Afterwards you can do the ice bucket challenge dressed as Miley Cyrus.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
To all the bros giving advise in the sense of "get big youtube person to make video for mad $$$" I'm afraid that's mostly a modern myth/misconception actually.

Scientific research into the whole youtube video by popular person = instant piles of cash thingie shows that youtube personalities don't boost the sales of games significantly, unless it's a casual/funny or "youtube bait" game because people mainly watch the youtube stars for the person and not the game they are playing. If a more complex/2deep4u game wasn't interesting to the viewer before it has been shown by a youtube personality, it won't be after he's seen it either.
Also one has to keep in mind that most of the youtube audiences and followers of the bigger youtube names are across the board quite young and more fascinated by said casual/funny games.

Many popular youtube people won't even bother touching games akin to AoD because as noted earlier by someone else in this thread they don't make good Television have shiny blinking lights and "achievement unlocked!" messages every 5 seconds.

Even your living god Total Biscuit himself agrees to this thesis in one of his later videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4F-zdpFb9I

That being said there are some smaller niche channels from and for RPG gamers where people actually do watch to get informed about games of their niche and value the opinion of the youtube person because they have a similar taste to their audience.
So a campaign targeted at those kind of youtube channels with the goal of increasing visibility and raising awareness of the game's existence might work pretty well actually.

So in short if one were inclined to throw their resources at a Youtube campaign, in my humble opinion one should inform themselves in advance about whom to talk to and focus on those niche channels instead of just sending the game to the "top100 most popular youtube people" and simply hoping for the best.

Even shorter tl;dr: some games do work quite well as youtube sales booster bait, AoD isn't one of them. The better approach would be niche channels focused on RPGs if one hopes for success with a Youtube campaign.

Mustawd

tl;dr: some games do work quite well as youtube sales booster bait, AoD isn't one of them. The better approach would be niche channels focused on RPGs if one hopes for success with a Youtube campaign.

Can't tell if that's a thumbs up or down on getting VD to shave his beard and do an ice bucket challenge dressed as Miley Cyrus...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom